The Student Room Group

Should private schools be closed?

Poll

Should private schools be closed?

My friend and I were just discussing as to whether or not private schools should be closed or not.

We came to the agreement that they should be shut as they create an unequal society amongst other things.

DISCUSS.

Scroll to see replies

This has been done to death but I think they should be closed and people should pay higher taxes so more money can be invested in schools for everyone.
Reply 2
Don't believe you can do this, but you could certainly pull in the tax breaks and charitable status and invest more in state schools.
Reply 3
I'm probably biased but I do not think private schools should be closed. I think it would be unfair to attribute problems with inequality in society to such establishments (inequality which, by the way, is unlikely to ever be resolved - it's an inevitable part of life).
The quality of teaching in state schools simply needs to improve. As long as we can get as many people as possible into universities of their choice (for those who want to go to uni), regardless of backgrounds, that's good enough IMO.

Not very easy to abolish them either.
Reply 4
I'm surprised on the 30/70 vote but I understand others viewpoints.
Reply 5
No. JP from Fresh Meat wouldn't exist then.
Reply 6
Yes so little posh kids get robbed and beaten in schools like Archbishop
Reply 7
Original post by soup
No. JP from Fresh Meat wouldn't exist then.

Haha both hilarious and true!
Reply 8
A simple search threw this other thread up, so I'm not sure why this specific thread was made.

But as far as my views go, why? Private schools tend to be very, very good, so why should they be penalised just because they charge families? They even have various scholarships and bursaries to allow bright students from low-income households to attend. If they were shut down, all students would have to attend state schools, placing a further burden on the state education sector (which is already low on funds as it is).

What the government should be doing is raising the standards of state schools, not abolishing thriving public schools that take a bit of the weight off the education sector.
Reply 9
I really don't care. If you try your hardest at whatever school you go to you'll be fine.
Original post by Ben_K
My friend and I were just discussing as to whether or not private schools should be closed or not.

We came to the agreement that they should be shut as they create an unequal society amongst other things.

DISCUSS.

What you're saying is if we're poor, the rest of society has to be poor too?

if we have poor education, then everybody has to have a poor education? Why is that logical?
Reply 11
No I'm a state-educated student and really do despise the fact that I'm state educated but closing down more successful institutes will only worsen the overall level of education
Those families who have money should be able to invest it in their childrens education in order to provide a higher class of learning and enhance their future prospects.
Reply 13
Why is equality such a great aim? I would much prefer an unequal society than an equal one where it was made equal by bringing everyone down to the level of the lowest.
Original post by x__justmyluck
This has been done to death but I think they should be closed and people should pay higher taxes so more money can be invested in schools for everyone.

That's not going to solve anything. The problem with council schools is that they are a bit of a postcode lottery, but independent schools to anyone, regardless of where they live. This means they all compete with each other to provide the best education to attract well-off parents. Personally, I think school funding should be more like the Higher education funding whereby each school is essentially an independent institution open to anyone which will force schools to compete and provide better services. However, this system would not be without flaws as we run the risk of creating an 'Oxbridge effect' in schools, where some schools become oversubscribed. And, obviously, no matter what we do, the rich kids will always be at an advantage, whether it be through private tuition or whatever other means.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vian
A simple search threw this other thread up, so I'm not sure why this specific thread was made.

But as far as my views go, why? Private schools tend to be very, very good, so why should they be penalised just because they charge families? They even have various scholarships and bursaries to allow bright students from low-income households to attend. If they were shut down, all students would have to attend state schools, placing a further burden on the state education sector (which is already low on funds as it is).

What the government should be doing is raising the standards of state schools, not abolishing thriving public schools that take a bit of the weight off the education sector.

This was principally a response to the Charities Act abolishing the presumption for education, schools essentially had to justify their social utility for the first time. Recently the Charities Commission has revoked the previous advice and said they no longer have to justify their tax break by giving out a certain number of bursaries, allowing community use of the facilities etc. Given many independents are struggling financilly expect to see bursaries slashed as a consequence.
Reply 16
Original post by Doughnuts123
What you're saying is if we're poor, the rest of society has to be poor too?

if we have poor education, then everybody has to have a poor education? Why is that logical?

No, I am saying there is a huge disparity in the quality of education displayed in private and state schools. Maybe I didn't really make it clear :smile:. Of course closing private schools would push the average of state schools performance up as previous private school students would move into state schools. I think it would possibly also benefit state schools as private school teachers who (in most cases teach to a higher standard than those in a state school) would move into state schools and benefit more of society as a result. There are pros and cons though as with everything but I won't list them all.
(edited 10 years ago)
I have never been to a private school. But when I hear and see of them, they look like very good schools.

Yes it may be unfair that you have to be fairly rich to go to one. But, most people are just jealous of the people who were lucky to be born into rich families. Which is understandable. However, in this world we are the lucky ones who get free state school education (unlike some). So why should we not be educated as well, if at all like poorer countries?

What I'm trying to say is: why should we stop the lucky people getting a better education than us, if really in the end it doesn't make much of a difference to us. private schools give a way to get better education, just sadly through unfair means. (Although not all private schools may be better)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Should all wealth be destroyed?
Reply 19
Original post by XtremeLuke
I have never been to a private school. But when I hear and see of them, they look like very good schools.

Yes it may be unfair that you have to be fairly rich to go to one. But, most people are just jealous of the people who were lucky to be born into rich families. Which is understandable. However, in this world we are the lucky ones who get free state school education (unlike some). So why should we not be educated as well, if at all like poorer countries?

What I'm trying to say is: why should we stop the lucky people getting a better education than us, if really in the end it doesn't make much of a difference to us. private schools give a way to get better education, just sadly through unfair means. (Although not all private schools may be better)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel entry into 'private schools' should be gained through SATS exam (or whatever the pre-secondary school exam is these days) results not the wealth a family has - This should be the same for everyone.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest