The Student Room Group

My privacy has been completely invaded!!

Sorry it’s a long one, I keep a mental health journal for my mental health team and turns out my mum and sister read it when they came to my house to feed my cat while I was away, my sisters now gone into her school and told her teacher she’s worried about me, even though my last entry in it was march because I’ve been doing really well they’ve said it’s a safeguarding and contacted my mum to tell her to ring 111, mum explained I was okay but they were adamant, I’m now really annoyed with both my mum and sister, I feel like my privacy has been invaded and I’m struggling to know who to trust, I guess the question is can my sisters school actually do anything else seen as my mum hasn’t rang anyone and am I overreacting by being so annoyed?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry it’s a long one, I keep a mental health journal for my mental health team and turns out my mum and sister read it when they came to my house to feed my cat while I was away, my sisters now gone into her school and told her teacher she’s worried about me, even though my last entry in it was march because I’ve been doing really well they’ve said it’s a safeguarding and contacted my mum to tell her to ring 111, mum explained I was okay but they were adamant, I’m now really annoyed with both my mum and sister, I feel like my privacy has been invaded and I’m struggling to know who to trust, I guess the question is can my sisters school actually do anything else seen as my mum hasn’t rang anyone and am I overreacting by being so annoyed?

I am an adult just to clarify
Reply 2

hii, good to hear ur doing better now. Is there a friend u can trust or someone ur quite close to that u could talk to instead of ur mum and sister? personally, i don't think ur overreacting as i would also probably react in the same way if someone invaded my privacy.
Reply 3
Original post by 27aj5
hii, good to hear ur doing better now. Is there a friend u can trust or someone ur quite close to that u could talk to instead of ur mum and sister? personally, i don't think ur overreacting as i would also probably react in the same way if someone invaded my privacy.

Thankyou that means a lot, honestly I’m just struggling to trust anyone right now so it makes it difficult
Reply 4
Thankyou that means a lot, honestly I’m just struggling to trust anyone right now so it makes it difficult

yes i can sort of relate to that too. i don't know what friends i can trust and if my friends even like me or not. anyways, i'm always here if u want to talk. stay happy :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Wrong kind of trust you are expecting. What you're saying is you trust your family to keep a distance from you and create a barrier between you guys? I bet you wouldn't share anything sexual with anyone either. You're really lucky this happened. This mental health stuff should be discussed thoroughly with your family and not some strangers who don't care about you. In the future you'll be so joyful and thankful your family saw your vulnerable side
Original post by shhyesimhuda
Wrong kind of trust you are expecting. What you're saying is you trust your family to keep a distance from you and create a barrier between you guys? I bet you wouldn't share anything sexual with anyone either. You're really lucky this happened. This mental health stuff should be discussed thoroughly with your family and not some strangers who don't care about you. In the future you'll be so joyful and thankful your family saw your vulnerable side

What I'm saying is: is your ideal reaction really for your family to see your diary open and be like "oh it's HER stuff. Let's keep a distance and not bother touching her nasty thoughts" bc that's what it sounds like
Reply 7

What I'm saying is: is your ideal reaction really for your family to see your diary open and be like "oh it's HER stuff. Let's keep a distance and not bother touching her nasty thoughts" bc that's what it sounds like

The thing is it wasn’t kept out or open it was closed and hidden away, the mental health team said I should keep it private and only show people when I’m ready and I wasn’t ready, I get where you’re coming from but it’s difficult because my sisters so young I didn’t want her to read it she shouldn’t have seen the things that are in there, I guess I’m just sad and angry with myself more than anything
The thing is it wasn’t kept out or open it was closed and hidden away, the mental health team said I should keep it private and only show people when I’m ready and I wasn’t ready, I get where you’re coming from but it’s difficult because my sisters so young I didn’t want her to read it she shouldn’t have seen the things that are in there, I guess I’m just sad and angry with myself more than anything

Grow up please
This isn't natural and isn't good for you to be so privative and you shouldn't listen to your mental health doctors about not showing ur diary to "people" they aren't people
Reply 9
Grow up please
This isn't natural and isn't good for you to be so privative and you shouldn't listen to your mental health doctors about not showing ur diary to "people" they aren't people

People should have privacy.. family doesn’t need to know everything.
Reply 10
People on here are so mean, I was asking for some advice, not for my mental health to be worsened by being told to “grow up” and all this, you don’t know my situation, what if your comments had then made me do something to myself? I’m done with this website, clearly people are not understanding when it comes to mental health, maybe I just needed some reassurance for my anxiety, you don’t know someone’s story and words can hurt
Grow up please

Awful advice.
Reply 12
Grow up please

They didn’t say not to show people they said to show people when I am ready
You're not overreacting. Everyone is entitled to privacy and they violated yours. They're in the wrong for reading something that was intended to be kept private between you and the mental health team and you've every right to be upset with them.

I don't think there is anything that can be done here. It's not your school and you're an adult. In future, I'd suggest finding a new hiding spot for it so that this doesn't happen again.
(edited 11 months ago)
They didn’t say not to show people they said to show people when I am ready

Ignore them, they just want a reaction.
Those saying "grow up" are, with respect, likely trolling. You are entitled to your privacy, and that was breached by your sister and mother, people who you should be able to trust. It's out in the open now, no changing that, so probably best to try and have an open, transparent and mature conversation about what happened, how you feel, and why it wasn't the right thing to do.
Reply 16
Thankyou so much! I’ll definitely do that
It's hard when close family members read your private, personal things. However, if it was in March and we're now in May and you recognise that you're doing much better, that's fantastic!
Your loved ones care for you. I'm sure if whatever you wrote was written by your mum and you were the one that read it, you'd do the same to protect her, love her and most importantly care for her. In any situation that annoys you, always think about it from another point of view.
But if you really do not trust them then I suggest finding someone you trust, maybe a friend.
In terms of what happened though, talk to your mum and sister about what they read and just be honest about it. Tell them that you're doing much better and let them know that the date of it was in March. They were probably too worried to even see that it was in March!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending