The Student Room Group

jane austen vs charles darwin

Poll

who had greater achievements ?

jane austen will replace charles darwin on the 10£ banknote. as people who are on banknotes are supposed to have had great contributions to their nation or humanity as a whole, which one of these two had the greater achievements ?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This will be an easy choice for the religious...

Edit: And everyone else.
Reply 2
Original post by Viva Emptiness
This will be an easy choice for the religious...

Edit: And everyone else.

Reply 3
Why does it matter? Do you honestly believe people will say 'Oh, Darwin isn't at all influential or important - he isn't even on a banknote!'. The only people affected by this are professional whiners (and that includes the campaigners for Jane Austin).
Reply 4
What sort of a question is this? I don't want to downplay the very important role of novelists, but Darwin is a national hero. Jane Austen was a boring snob.
Reply 5
Original post by Plainview
What sort of a question is this? I don't want to downplay the very important role of novelists, but Darwin is a national hero. Jane Austen was a boring snob.

it's just another example of quotas for women and also another sample of the type of non-issue that weepy, whiny middle class feminists are so quick to engage in (much like barbie /disney/lego) while ignoring real equality problems like islam's treatment of women in the UK or the many areas where men are discriminated against or disadvantaged.
It's not about who is more worthy, it's just about celebrating great British people. If it was about who was most worthy, we'd keep the same person on all our notes from £5 to £50. Besides, Darwin has to go eventually; it makes sense to put someone else on rather than keeping the same person on the £10 when the new design is released. We have a diverse range of national heroes, we should celebrate that by not putting the same famous person on the note forever.
Reply 7

Relieved to see you aren't one of the ones I'd expect promoting her!
Reply 8
Original post by Birkenhead
Relieved to see you aren't one of the ones I'd expect promoting her!

I had to research her personal life for a work experience placement once. It involved reading her letters and diaries quite a lot. This is her on her home in Steventon: "People get so horribly poor and economical in this part of the world that I have no patience with them. Kent is the only place for happiness: everybody is rich there.”

At the same time, I don't really care who goes on the tenner. We all know how great Darwin was; it's not like we're going to forget him if we don't see his face every time we pay for a pint.

Killing an Arab!
Why not put Dorothy Hodgkin or Rosalind Franklin on the £10 note? They both made significant contributions to science.

Not that I'm that bothered who goes on the note, I've got better things to concern myself that complaining about feminists.
I appreciate Jane Austen, even though her writing isn;t my cup of tea; but Darwin achieved so much more. Plus they could have chosen a more successful writer if they really wanted a woman on there.
Original post by Quantex
Why not put Dorothy Hodgkin or Rosalind Franklin on the £10 note? They both made significant contributions to science.

Not that I'm that bothered who goes on the note, I've got better things to concern myself that complaining about feminists.

Or Elizabeth Blackwell; or Florence Nightingale.
Reply 13
Original post by PythianLegume
It's not about who is more worthy, it's just about celebrating great British people. If it was about who was most worthy, we'd keep the same person on all our notes from £5 to £50. Besides, Darwin has to go eventually; it makes sense to put someone else on rather than keeping the same person on the £10 when the new design is released. We have a diverse range of national heroes, we should celebrate that by not putting the same famous person on the note forever.

there are hundreds of men who had similar or greater achievements than her and could have replaced her. she's only there to fill a quota because of feminist/pc pressure. actually, you know what they should do? let the british people decide who goes on the notes, have a big online poll or smth. then if a woman comes out on top it's all good.
I don't see how this is debatable. But Darwin has had a good run. Let one of the girls have a turn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EllieC130
Or Elizabeth Blackwell; or Florence Nightingale.

Nightingale has already been on UK banknotes, putting on her on a second time would be just greedy. :tongue:
honestly, why put Darwin on the note? Everyone who is educated knows who he is, put someone who has contributed to the world but is bloomin ignored, put Turing on there and some women scientists.
Original post by Quantex
Nightingale has already been on UK banknotes, putting on her on a second time would be just greedy. :tongue:

Oh yeah lol... but Blackwell could.
Original post by mimi112
there are hundreds of men who had similar or greater achievements than her and could have replaced her. she's only there to fill a quota because of feminist/pc pressure. actually, you know what they should do? let the british people decide who goes on the notes, have a big online poll or smth. then if a woman comes out on top it's all good.

They could have picked a more successful woman if I'm honest.
Original post by John Stuart Mill
honestly, why put Darwin on the note? Everyone who is educated knows who he is, put someone who has contributed to the world but is bloomin ignored, put Turing on there and some women scientists.

Turing is someone who will get onto a banknote at some stage, particularly given his rehabilitation and increasing public recognition of his contributions.

I've still got my figures crossed that they introduce a special Turing £9 note, if just turn one of my favourite phrases "as queer as a nine bob note" into a reality.

Quick Reply

Latest