The Student Room Group

A-level English Literature NEA course work help

Hey, I'm a year 12 student and I'm not that sure what I'm supposed to do for the coursework, all I know is that I have to pick 2 books I think, and then write about them but other than that don't understand how I'm supposed to start it or what I even want to write about. I've looked online but I haven't found any examples or past student coursework and it has been bugging me a lot. Is there any chance for help or guidance at all?? and if it's possible for any book recommendations that would be great!!
Reply 1
Hi Imaokat.
Have you approached your teacher for clarification? If not, have a look at the online spec for your course. You'll find it on the appropriate area of the exam board you're studying with. (Which exam board is it?)

Then, figure out a kind of theme which interests you in literature. It could be something to do with the role of women in society at a particular time; it could be ideas of power and its use or misuse. It could be an author's presentation of a more abstract theme, like nature, oppression ... It's an open field, so it really depends on your interests.

What literature do you actually like reading yourself? Give me an idea, and I might be able to point you in some relevant directions.

Start by telling me what exam board you're with. The criteria for the NEA is the same for all exam boards, but their interpretation and guidance materials might be slightly different.

Get back to me?
Reply 2
Original post by Wilf G
Hi Imaokat.
Have you approached your teacher for clarification? If not, have a look at the online spec for your course. You'll find it on the appropriate area of the exam board you're studying with. (Which exam board is it?)

Then, figure out a kind of theme which interests you in literature. It could be something to do with the role of women in society at a particular time; it could be ideas of power and its use or misuse. It could be an author's presentation of a more abstract theme, like nature, oppression ... It's an open field, so it really depends on your interests.

What literature do you actually like reading yourself? Give me an idea, and I might be able to point you in some relevant directions.

Start by telling me what exam board you're with. The criteria for the NEA is the same for all exam boards, but their interpretation and guidance materials might be slightly different.

Get back to me?

heyy! i'm doing AQA English Literature

the types of literature i like reading hmm i'd say i love romance, dystopian, realism, and i also like dramatic books with lots of plot twists and interesting characters!!
for extra info ill just list some authors i know of and I've read from: sylvia plath, jane austen, j fitzgerald, franz kafka, george orwell, and osamu dazai
i haven't ready many books so i still have sometime to explore what i really like but these are just a few i can think of

TY for helping!!
Reply 3
Hi again, ImaoKat.

You have a wide range of reading to think about! Within that range, are there any particular themes that interest you?

I'm guessing you might like to pursue a theme of the limitations of social (and other) power; or dystopian worlds. Is that something that you feel you could behind?

What you need to do to produce a top-notch NEA is have a really clear and focused statement/question to address. I've seen lots of waffly and vague titles, that result in a similarly waffly and vague response. If you can formulate a thesis that's crystal-clear in your own mind, you'll find you have the confidence to discuss it. That should lead to an essay structure that is organised and engaged.

From that position, you should then find that you can deal with the counter-arguments you anticipate. Interesting NEAs can - and should - take account of reading texts through different lenses (the use of different types of critical theory), as well as what other readers generally think.

A couple of other suggestions for texts you might like to look at : '1984' (George Orwell), if you haven't already read it. 'The Handmaid's Tale' (Margaret Atwood), 'The Road' (Cormac McCarthy). More generally, I think Graham Greene is under-studied. 'Brighton Rock' has one of the best openings in a novel, IMO.

If you want something earlier, Jane Austen is a personal favourite. Which of her novels have you read? Thematically, there's a lot to go at there.

Anyway, I'll keep thinking ...
Reply 4
Original post by Wilf G
Hi again, ImaoKat.

You have a wide range of reading to think about! Within that range, are there any particular themes that interest you?

I'm guessing you might like to pursue a theme of the limitations of social (and other) power; or dystopian worlds. Is that something that you feel you could behind?

What you need to do to produce a top-notch NEA is have a really clear and focused statement/question to address. I've seen lots of waffly and vague titles, that result in a similarly waffly and vague response. If you can formulate a thesis that's crystal-clear in your own mind, you'll find you have the confidence to discuss it. That should lead to an essay structure that is organised and engaged.

From that position, you should then find that you can deal with the counter-arguments you anticipate. Interesting NEAs can - and should - take account of reading texts through different lenses (the use of different types of critical theory), as well as what other readers generally think.

A couple of other suggestions for texts you might like to look at : '1984' (George Orwell), if you haven't already read it. 'The Handmaid's Tale' (Margaret Atwood), 'The Road' (Cormac McCarthy). More generally, I think Graham Greene is under-studied. 'Brighton Rock' has one of the best openings in a novel, IMO.

If you want something earlier, Jane Austen is a personal favourite. Which of her novels have you read? Thematically, there's a lot to go at there.

Anyway, I'll keep thinking ...

sorry for the late reply!

some of the themes that i really like looking into is feminism and like how the different genders view society, i really like nature and nature vs humanity because its quite interesting to think how we are both so different but similar, i also really like control and power as its pretty cool to see how people and society can change lives and create these norms and values we have to follow (i also like thinking about how real life society could have been way different if certain things didn't happen etc), i really like themes of love as i like romance and the last thing i can really think of is prejudice and how different people in society are treated differently just because of a characteristic they have.
sorry i know there is quite a lot but i love to experiment :wink:

with different perspectives and criticisms, id say i'm pretty comfortable with doing that as id say i think im a pretty open minded person when it comes to different opinions and why people think they way they do. I'm pretty good at understanding and evaluating different opinions and perspectives which is pretty fun to explore anyway!

i've read and i own 1984. I've read it in school but i might give it a re read as it was ages ago! i really enjoy that book so ill give it a consideration. I'm going to be doing the handmaids tale as a book i need to study so i can't use it for my NEA and i haven't heard about the road so ill give it a look!

i was looking online for books that might be interesting to explore and i came across Lolita, Novel by Vladimir Nabokov, which i haven't read yet but i was looking at the plot and particular themes and what ideas its trying to portray to society and i think that it might be one of my options for my NEA. If you think there are any similar books to it id love to hear!!!

for Jane Austen - i've read and watched Pride and Prejudice and i love it so much, we once read Emma in school but i don't really remember much of it so i can give it a re read.
Reply 5
Original post by ImaoKat
Hey, I'm a year 12 student and I'm not that sure what I'm supposed to do for the coursework, all I know is that I have to pick 2 books I think, and then write about them but other than that don't understand how I'm supposed to start it or what I even want to write about. I've looked online but I haven't found any examples or past student coursework and it has been bugging me a lot. Is there any chance for help or guidance at all?? and if it's possible for any book recommendations that would be great!!

Hi! Did you talk to your teacher? Usually, you only start the coursework in Year 13 because of the skills needed to write it. For choosing a book, I’d recommend choosing a book you’ve read first, and researching books similar to it. Often, the question needs to be worded in a particular way (ask your teacher) that makes it difficult to look at a very broad theme such as feminism.
I’ve got some exemplars that I can send to you if you would like. They’re Eduqas, but still contain the same sort of skills/ideas to get you going.
Reply 6
Original post by waffelton
Hi! Did you talk to your teacher? Usually, you only start the coursework in Year 13 because of the skills needed to write it. For choosing a book, I’d recommend choosing a book you’ve read first, and researching books similar to it. Often, the question needs to be worded in a particular way (ask your teacher) that makes it difficult to look at a very broad theme such as feminism.
I’ve got some exemplars that I can send to you if you would like. They’re Eduqas, but still contain the same sort of skills/ideas to get you going.

im going to talk to my teacher about it next week if i get the chance! and for the examples that would be really helpful ty!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending