The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Does anyone doing Bio rhythms and sleep have a good essay on the explanations of insomnia? I'm particularly stuck on that topic and need some help on what explanations I can use!
Reply 321
Original post by Smiles(:
does anyone have the psya3 june 2013 paper?

For anyone doing A2 psychology - I have now uploaded PSYA3 and PSYA4 papers and mark schemes

EDIT: Summer 2013 A2 Examiner Reports have now been kindly uploaded by Cara Flanagan:

PSYA3 Report: http://www.resourcd.com/@psychexchange/file/show/16910
PSYA4 Report: http://www.resourcd.com/@psychexchange/file/show/16911
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 322
does anyone have any model essays for lifespan changes in sleep - I am struggling to find enough evaluation for 16 whole marks( other than supporting studies) ! any help would be really appreciated xx
Reply 323
Bio rhythms in general is such a killer
Reply 324
Original post by nm786
For anyone doing A2 psychology - I have now uploaded PSYA3 and PSYA4 papers and mark schemes (I couldn't find the examiner reports but will edit this post when I do).

Thank you for these. By the way do you have links for AS Unit 2 June 2013?
Reply 325
Original post by Jkizer
Starting relationship topic tomorrow. Apparently a very straight forward topic that can be done fairly quickly.... But are the essays difficult? o.O

We started it this week and it's not that great right now. Not too bad so far and the essays don't seem too bad but I would say they're a bit of a step up from Psychopathology in PSYA4.
Reply 326
Original post by Mezzy
Thank you for these. By the way do you have links for AS Unit 2 June 2013?

No problem, I uploaded unit 2 paper and mark scheme here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=45901250&postcount=42n :smile:

EDIT: and now deleted by the mods.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 327
Original post by nm786
No problem, I uploaded unit 2 paper and mark scheme here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=45901250&postcount=42n :smile:

Thank you nm786 for all your help. :smile:
Reply 328
Original post by nm786

Oh I just clicked the link it says that I am not authorised to look at the content lol
Reply 329
Original post by Mezzy
Thank you nm786 for all your help. :smile:

Original post by Mezzy
Oh I just clicked the link it says that I am not authorised to look at the content lol

Please check pm. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
If we don't have many AO1 points for a particular essay can be criticise it with an alternative explanation and then describe that explanation to get AO1 marks?

Eg: I don't have many AO1 points for genetics so can I criticise it with SLT and then describe that in moderate detail?

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 331
Original post by LeaX
If we don't have many AO1 points for a particular essay can be criticise it with an alternative explanation and then describe that explanation to get AO1 marks?

Eg: I don't have many AO1 points for genetics so can I criticise it with SLT and then describe that in moderate detail?

Thank you. :smile:

That would get you IDA marks unfortunately not A01.
A01 needs to be specifically about the theory/explanation in question.

There's lots of things you could write for A01 on genetic explanations. These points are really easy to remember and could get you full A01 marks:

MZ and DZ twins - Twin studies generally focus on identical (monozygotic or MZ) twins and non-identical (dizygotic or DZ) twins raised in the same family environment. MZ twins in the same environment therefore share all their genes and their environment, whereas DZ twins in the same environment only share the same environment. Therefore if the concordance rate for a behaviour (the proportion to which both twins exhibit the same behaviour) is higher for MZ twins than DZ twins, it is probably mostly genetically influenced; and if the concordance rate for MZ and DZ twins is similar, the behaviour is probably environmentally influenced.
Adoption studies - compare the rates at which adopted children share behaviours with their adopted parents (who they only share the environment with) and their biological parents (who they share genes but not environment with). If the concordance rate between child and adopted parent is higher then it is probably an environmentally influenced behaviour, but if concordance for the behaviour is higher between child and biological parents then it is probably a genetically influenced behaviour.
A gene responsible for producing a protein called MonoAmine Oxidase A (MAOA) has been associated with aggressive behaviour. MAOA regulates the metabolism of neurotransmitters in the brain it is thought that having a faulty MAOA gene leads to the brain being flooded with too much serotonin and dopamine as a result these excess Neurotransmitter’s would influence individuals towards aggression when under stress. As well as the MAOA gene other candidate genes for aggression have been identified by researchers - DRD4 and the DRD3 gene.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheGameOfScience
how am i wrong if you get 15 marks in 3 essays that totals to 45 marks a solid A grade and if a B is 36 then aiming for 40 marks should get you a solid b :biggrin:

I quote u said "its 40 marks for B" well its not mate..... urgggggg (epic rage)
Keep seeing 'IDA' uhm what is this?:redface: Is it a marking criteria for unit 4 and 3 or something. My school just finished unit 4 but I've never heard it before... worried!
Reply 334
Original post by gloriousgloria
Keep seeing 'IDA' uhm what is this?:redface: Is it a marking criteria for unit 4 and 3 or something. My school just finished unit 4 but I've never heard it before... worried!

Don;t worry about it just yet you only need it in unit 3! :smile:
IDA stands for Issues, Debates and Approaches, you need to use these in unit 3 to get higher marks - not needed in unit 4 but still creditworthy in the exam. You only need about 1 or two in each essay.
you'll learn what they are in more detail when you start unit 3 but just as a heads up - Issues include culture or gender biased, ethics (for using human and non human animal in studies), debates include nature (genes)/nurture(environment), free will and determinism, reductionism, approaches include cognitive, behavioural, biological and psychological.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nm786
Don;t worry about it just yet you only need it in unit 3! :smile:
IDA stands for Issues, Debates and Approaches, you need to use these in unit 3 to get higher marks - not needed in unit 4 but still creditworthy in the exam. You only need about 1 or two in each essay.
you'll learn what they are in more detail when you start unit 3 but just as a heads up - Issues include culture or gender biased, ethics (for using human and non human animal in studies), debates include nature (genes)/nurture(environment), free will and determinism, reductionism, approaches include cognitive, behavioural, biological and psychological.

Ooo I see. Thank you very much!! I'll have a bit of head start compared to the rest of the class :biggrin:. Are you in A2? Did your school start with unit 3 or 4, if you don't mind me asking.
Lol. We had a practice exam on tuesday for psya4... And the teacher accidentally gave us 1:30 minutes.

Ahhhh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
im really confused on what to include in the following essay questions;
1, Discuss the nature of sleep
2, Discuss lifespan changes in sleep
3,outline and evaluate stages of sleep
can someone please give me a idea as i have no clue, iv been trying to figure out what A01 and A02 points to include the last hour.
Reply 338
Is anyone else struggling with this year more than last year? I used to love psychology and now I absolutely hate it! I can't do the essays and none of it sticks in my memory any more :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by c5000
Is anyone else struggling with this year more than last year? I used to love psychology and now I absolutely hate it! I can't do the essays and none of it sticks in my memory any more :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i was just thinking that!!
don't know why but i'm just not motivated anymore..

Latest

Trending

Trending