The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAlchemistt
Sure did. Wait why are you applying to university? Didnt you go to university last year?!

I dropped out of college my first year and then went back, who is this?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Which would you say is better for student life- Bristol or Manchester? If I get an offer from Bristol I won't be able to make a decision!
Original post by Soontobesuper
Cool! Tbh I'm def warming over to the idea of leaving home! I think the people at Manch are nicer, and careerwise I'll probs be safer taking straight biochem over Human Sci. What about you?

Ah, I moved out of London two years ago so I've missed it, however I want to try something new too :biggrin: the prospects, surprisingly, are better at Manchester, especially for my field I want to go into career wise. Have you firmed already?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattDrane
I dropped out of college my first year and then went back, who is this?

oh, I dont think you would have known me tbh, i wasnt in your history class. Just recognised the name
Original post by Purple_fox
Which would you say is better for student life- Bristol or Manchester? If I get an offer from Bristol I won't be able to make a decision!

Going by what I've heard from students: Manchester, it's larger, has a larger student population - 3 unis in the area - which is catered for by the businesses in the area at good prices, and there's this huge club that the student administrator at my school was telling me about but I can't remember the name.

I'm having to make that decision now, been to Manchester and going to UCL on 22nd and Bristol 29th. I'm leaning towards Manchester atm. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Having grown up in Bristol, very close to the university (often living less than a mile away) and studied at Manchester, I think that you can be entirely happy at either. Yes, Manchester is bigger, but to be perfectly honest I think that Bristol has everything a student wants anyway.

Course content should be the first priority in your mind, and beyond that you can start thinking about bursaries, what societies are on offer and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have an offer for Mechanical Engineering (4 years). Might put as insurance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1007
Have an interview with them for Maths and CompSci, nervous...
Reply 1008
Got an invitation for an interview for Physics last week. :smile:

To anyone who has done it before; how long is the interview and is it very general physics talk or is it very specific in the sense that they give you physics problems to solve?
Thanks!
Original post by FlyHigh_er
Ah, I moved out of London two years ago so I've missed it, however I want to try something new too :biggrin: the prospects, surprisingly, are better at Manchester, especially for my field I want to go into career wise. Have you firmed already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see. Your applying for geology Right? yes that is uprising, but I guess they aren't best at everything! Did UCL and Manch give you the same offer. I haven't yet, I' going to have to wait until I go to visit Surrey in Feb to see f they'll be my insurance- have you decided that?
My course offer is AAB - would I get in if I got A*AC? I'm kind of failing Bio atm :'(
Reply 1011

I'll be in the exact same predicament if I get a Bristol offer, for my course academically I think Bristol is seen as the better choice but I've fell in love with Manchester as a whole I think it looks like a great overall experience
accommodation brochure came in the post today! :smile:
Hi i just wanted to know what alelvels are you doing and did you get a b in English language:smile:
Original post by WannaGetAnA
My course offer is AAB - would I get in if I got A*AC? I'm kind of failing Bio atm :'(

Probably depends on the course and department. I know the life sciences department are quite forgiving, but they might not be if it's a biology subject you're applying for.
Original post by William Turtle
Probably depends on the course and department. I know the life sciences department are quite forgiving, but they might not be if it's a biology subject you're applying for.

I applied for Psychology
I applied for Psychology

Well I don't know then. You could ask them, if you're really worried, but I'd say it's best to work hard now, and save that kind of negotiation for results day. I'm sure you won't need to, though! :smile:
Well I don't know then. You could ask them, if you're really worried, but I'd say it's best to work hard now, and save that kind of negotiation for results day. I'm sure you won't need to, though! :smile:

Ahh I hope so! I think I understand Bio, but then I do exam questions and they just don't come out well!

Are you in uni? :smile:
Ahh I hope so! I think I understand Bio, but then I do exam questions and they just don't come out well!

Are you in uni? :smile:

Well that's just practise. Do papers, go through mark schemes so you're very familiar with the sort of answer they like. I find that biology mark schemes are ridiculous though. The answers often don't actually answer the questions!

Nope, year 13.
Well that's just practise. Do papers, go through mark schemes so you're very familiar with the sort of answer they like. I find that biology mark schemes are ridiculous though. The answers often don't actually answer the questions!

Nope, year 13.

That's so true! Thank you :smile:

What did you apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending