The Student Room Group

EU says UK must accept more immigrant workers + admit it will cause more unemployment

Absolutely ridiculous UK has to accept more immigrant workers from nations with high unemployment because EU has failed totally and is destroying the economies of Europe

Commissioner even admits it will create more unemployment in the UK- He admitted that high unemployment rates in the eurozone, currently running at record highs of over 12 per cent, would lead to increased numbers of jobless seeking work in higher growth countries, such as Britain, with a joblessness rate of only 7.4pc.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10580055/EU-to-promote-more-UK-job-vacancies-in-high-unemployment-European-countries.html

Absolute madness
Can you actually read? :frown:

On Friday, Mr Andor announced new measures that will extend the Eures scheme "by publishing vacancies that until now have only been available at local or regional level" across the EU.

Laszlo Andor, Europe's social affairs commissioner, has unveiled new plans to extend the Eures scheme that advertises British jobcentre vacancies, along with those from other countries, across the whole of the European Union.

This is scheme will NOT focus on the UK alone.

The quote which you have used:

He admitted that high unemployment rates in the eurozone, currently running at record highs of over 12 per cent, would lead to increased numbers of jobless seeking work in higher growth countries, such as Britain, with a joblessness rate of only 7.4pc.

...does not state that the scheme will create unemployment in the UK, but rather that people will begin to look for work in the UK (and other European nations). They do not have to ''seek'' this work from inside the UK, so the unemployment level does not have to increase (they could 'secure' a job and then move into the country).

Also, two things:

- The EU is not forcing the UK to accept more migrants. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
- The EU did not say any of this, but rather just one of it's commissioners. The title of this thread is incorrect.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SHallowvale
Can you actually read? :frown:

This is scheme will NOT focus on the UK alone.

The quote which you have used:

...does not state that the scheme will create unemployment in the UK, but rather that people will begin to look for work in the UK (and other European nations). They do not have to ''seek'' this work from inside the UK, so the unemployment level does not have to increase (they could 'secure' a job and then move into the country).

Also, the EU is not forcing the UK to accept more migrants. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

It may not be operating in the UK alone but the Commisioner admits countries with good unemployment levels and growth e.g. he mentions the UK will be encouraged to accept more immigrant workers and he says it will cause more unemployment in those countries

So are you saying the UK should take more immigrant workers even though it will cause more unemployment in the UK this is a disgrace from the EU not that I would expect anything else they have one aim to destroy and control the UK
Original post by Ace123
It may not be operating in the UK alone but the Commisioner admits countries with good unemployment levels and growth e.g. he mentions the UK will be encouraged to accept more immigrant workers and he says it will cause more unemployment in those countries

So are you saying the UK should take more immigrant workers even though it will cause more unemployment in the UK this is a disgrace from the EU not that I would expect anything else they have one aim to destroy and control the UK

No, he did not state that it will create unemployment in the UK (or other EU countries). If he did, and i'm missing something, then please quote the part of the article whereas he DOES say that it will create unemployment in the UK.
Reply 4
No, he did not state that it will create unemployment in the UK (or other EU countries). If he did, and i'm missing something, then please quote the part of the article whereas he DOES say that it will create unemployment in the UK.

He admitted that high unemployment rates in the eurozone, currently running at record highs of over 12 per cent, would lead to increased numbers of jobless seeking work in higher growth countries, such as Britain, with a joblessness rate of only 7.4pc.

"With unacceptably high levels of unemployment in the EU, more people are looking at this possibility," he said.

What he is basically saying is thay countries with high unemployment will be encouraged to export their jobless to countries with low unemployment are the jobs just going to magically appear in the UK and this is why Britain is turning on the EU and want out
Original post by Ace123

"With unacceptably high levels of unemployment in the EU, more people are looking at this possibility," he said.

What he is basically saying is thay countries with high unemployment will be encouraged to export their jobless to countries with low unemployment are the jobs just going to magically appear in the UK and this is why Britain is turning on the EU and want out

You don't seem to understand what the man is actually saying.

He is not saying that people will come to the UK looking for work, but rather that people will look for work in the UK. These two things are different.

For instance, I could look for work in, say, France, but look from within the UK. I would be a job seeker. However, because I am not seeking a job within France, I would not actually be raising the France's unemployment level.

I'm unsure how I could make that any clearer.

The jobs are not going to ''magically appear'', but have already appeared. Migrants will be able to take up the jobs that have been advertised via Eures:

https://ec.europa.eu/eures/home.jsp?lang=en

This system has been in place for a while, now. The commissioner only suggested that it is given more attention, and what not, to promote employment in Europe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Standard tactic of Eurosceptics.

Write a sensationalised headline and link to a source that then doesn't quite support it.....
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Standard tactic of Eurosceptics.

Write a sensationalised headline and link to a source that then doesn't quite support it.....

My thoughts exactly. Ace123 seems to do this.... VERY often.
My thoughts exactly. Ace123 seems to do this.... VERY often.

Did you look at the thread title and think....yep, this one's gonna be from Ace
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Did you look at the thread title and think....yep, this one's gonna be from Ace

Always. :eek:
Reply 10
Original post by Ace123

You realise that in Q3 the number of jobs created was 150,000 and accelerating? So yes, there are jobs "magically appearing" at a rate of around 600,000 per year. With net immigration still not going to exceed 300,000 with increased EU migration that still means that unemployment will falling by around 300,000 native workers per year. Currently there are 1.3 million claimants actively seeking work, therefore we'd theoretically have a shortage of labour in around 4 years unless we saw an increase in the number of people actively seeking work or a massive increase in net immigration, neither of which is likely to occur.
This has inspired a new thread for me:

Illiteracy rates in the UK Skyrocket! People taking to the internet without primary school reading skills!
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21
You realise that in Q3 the number of jobs created was 150,000 and accelerating? So yes, there are jobs "magically appearing" at a rate of around 600,000 per year. With net immigration still not going to exceed 300,000 with increased EU migration that still means that unemployment will falling by around 300,000 native workers per year. Currently there are 1.3 million claimants actively seeking work, therefore we'd theoretically have a shortage of labour in around 4 years unless we saw an increase in the number of people actively seeking work or a massive increase in net immigration, neither of which is likely to occur.

the trouble is jobs being created does not keep up with the amount of immigrants coming in that is why the unemploment has only slightly gone down in 4 years. Also what kind of jobs are they millions are on part time work when they need full time and also wages are kept very low because of immigration
Reply 13
Original post by Ace123
the trouble is jobs being created does not keep up with the amount of immigrants coming in that is why the unemploment has only slightly gone down in 4 years. Also what kind of jobs are they millions are on part time work when they need full time and also wages are kept very low because of immigration

The very fact it's come down means that your statement is incorrect. That's true but the majority being created are now full time jobs. Most of these unskilled positions would still be pretty close to minimum wage anyway, if labour costs appreciated as rapidly as some of you imagine business would simply move abroad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending