The Student Room Group

Going Back To Study ICT?

After discovering this forum I feel the need to ask for advice about going back to study. After five years of working in the business environment I've decided it's not for me. When I went to college I studied Business (BTEC national diploma triple merit) and I loved it as I had my life planned out to the dot with a promise of a job in September and later on setting up my own business and being happy...

I'll keep this short, I've always had a passion for ICT and now I want to go back and study, the question is should I go back to college and do ICT or can I use my BTEC Business diploma as leverage to help me get into universities to study ICT?

oh I'm 25 years old!
Original post by Wivern
After discovering this forum I feel the need to ask for advice about going back to study. After five years of working in the business environment I've decided it's not for me. When I went to college I studied Business (BTEC national diploma triple merit) and I loved it as I had my life planned out to the dot with a promise of a job in September and later on setting up my own business and being happy...

I'll keep this short, I've always had a passion for ICT and now I want to go back and study, the question is should I go back to college and do ICT or can I use my BTEC Business diploma as leverage to help me get into universities to study ICT?

oh I'm 25 years old!

MMM would usually suffice for the majority of low end Universities, I would recommend talking to some local colleges about doing ICT at AS/A2 Level, if they decline you then get a job, and perhaps take a look into Certifications, they carry a significant amount of weight in the Computing industry, do you know what area of ICT you would like to work in, like a data analyst, technical support, network admin, if you give me a better idea, then I could probably have more useful advice.
Reply 2
Original post by Networking Nerd!
MMM would usually suffice for the majority of low end Universities, I would recommend talking to some local colleges about doing ICT at AS/A2 Level, if they decline you then get a job, and perhaps take a look into Certifications, they carry a significant amount of weight in the Computing industry, do you know what area of ICT you would like to work in, like a data analyst, technical support, network admin, if you give me a better idea, then I could probably have more useful advice.

Thanks for replying - I think I would really enjoy doing ICT at college even if it's just for one year. Thank you for the idea!

I've been thinking about going for ICT support Technician in schools and I've been trying to get a job with retailers like PC World/Dixons just for the experience in the retail/IT side of things, unfortunately they tell me to stick with the job I've got because they can only offer temporary work around Christmas only.

I understand that the ICT sector is a growing industry and if you think i should aim higher than a Technician then any words of wisdom in this regard will be great as I really want this change.

Original post by Wivern
Thanks for replying - I think I would really enjoy doing ICT at college even if it's just for one year. Thank you for the idea!

I've been thinking about going for ICT support Technician in schools and I've been trying to get a job with retailers like PC World/Dixons just for the experience in the retail/IT side of things, unfortunately they tell me to stick with the job I've got because they can only offer temporary work around Christmas only.

I understand that the ICT sector is a growing industry and if you think i should aim higher than a Technician then any words of wisdom in this regard will be great as I really want this change.

I think that you should try doing College, try your best at each module you do, then if you find a module interesting, then perhaps ask the module lecturer what jobs are relevant towards that module, for an example you might have a module of Information Systems, and if you enjoy that then perhaps you would want to be a data analyst (example only) being a technician is excellent way of getting your 'foot in the door'

Personally, I originally had interest in the Public Service sector, but then I realized that I didn't particularly like the career opportunities, so after that I decided to go College, and study for an IT (Systems Support & Networking) Diploma, which I really enjoyed, enjoyed the modules based around Networking, so applied for University, (Network Management & Security).

Edit: In fact, I just received my offer from the University, conditional on getting MM. No idea why my offer is less than the entry requirements, but can't really complain :biggrin:

Hope it helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Networking Nerd!
I think that you should try doing College, try your best at each module you do, then if you find a module interesting, then perhaps ask the module lecturer what jobs are relevant towards that module, for an example you might have a module of Information Systems, and if you enjoy that then perhaps you would want to be a data analyst (example only) being a technician is excellent way of getting your 'foot in the door'

Personally, I originally had interest in the Public Service sector, but then I realized that I didn't particularly like the career opportunities, so after that I decided to go College, and study for an IT (Systems Support & Networking) Diploma, which I really enjoyed, enjoyed the modules based around Networking, so applied for University, (Network Management & Security).

Edit: In fact, I just received my offer from the University, conditional on getting MM. No idea why my offer is less than the entry requirements, but can't really complain :biggrin:

Hope it helps :smile:

Congratulations and thank you for your advice. I plan to go to a couple of open days and ask a few questions and stuff. I just want to say you have been a lot of help to me and i feel thanks to you i can change my life for the better.

Once again thanks for everything and I know you'll do well, my good sir! :wink:
Original post by Wivern
Congratulations and thank you for your advice. I plan to go to a couple of open days and ask a few questions and stuff. I just want to say you have been a lot of help to me and i feel thanks to you i can change my life for the better.

Once again thanks for everything and I know you'll do well, my good sir! :wink:

That's good I'm glad I helped you for the better, if you still haven't found a job in IT then it'f fine the communication skills you're getting from your current/former job, will be VERY beneficial to you, when you do work in IT, speaking of that. Haven't you ever considered seeking for voluntary work within IT?

Good luck,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending