The Student Room Group

Historiography

Hi,

Part of the course for History in Year 13 at my school is that we have to write 3,500 words on 100 years of Russian history. My title is about Alexander II and the reforms that he implemented and how successful they were. We have to include historiography and we've had a few lessons on it but I don't understand what it is, what I'm meant to be looking for when I'm reading and what schools of thought would be interesting to look at for my essay.

Would anyone be able to help?

Thank you!
The best 3 schools of interpretation to look at are, orthodox, revisionist (these two contrast with each other) and marxist
Reply 2
Original post by AndrewGrace
The best 3 schools of interpretation to look at are, orthodox, revisionist (these two contrast with each other) and marxist

Would you be able to explain what they are? I'm guessing orthodox is that they believe in the autocracy and that they thing the reforms that he did were bad? And marxist that they wanted a communist state and wanted more to be done? But what's revisionist? Would you be able to suggest any historians to look at?
Original post by olivef
Would you be able to explain what they are? I'm guessing orthodox is that they believe in the autocracy and that they thing the reforms that he did were bad? And marxist that they wanted a communist state and wanted more to be done? But what's revisionist? Would you be able to suggest any historians to look at?

Ok so orthodox is a conformist interpretation, essentially orthodox historians have an opinion of events that is pretty similar to how they would have been viewed at the time

Revisionist historians challenge the orthodoxy, essentially they have the opposite opinion of how events would have been viewed at the time

(A good way to show this is who started the cold war= orthodox say Soviet Union, Revisionists says USA)

And marxists historians essentially believe that every action has an economic motive behind it

For your particular question i unfortunately do not know any prominent historians to suggest
Reply 4
Ok so orthodox is a conformist interpretation, essentially orthodox historians have an opinion of events that is pretty similar to how they would have been viewed at the time

Revisionist historians challenge the orthodoxy, essentially they have the opposite opinion of how events would have been viewed at the time

(A good way to show this is who started the cold war= orthodox say Soviet Union, Revisionists says USA)

And marxists historians essentially believe that every action has an economic motive behind it

For your particular question i unfortunately do not know any prominent historians to suggest

Thank you very much!
Original post by olivef
Thank you very much!

What you will probably find is a google search of the topic you are researching followed by historians/ historical interpretation will throw up a lot of results
Reply 6
What you will probably find is a google search of the topic you are researching followed by historians/ historical interpretation will throw up a lot of results

I'll give that a go, thanks for you help :smile:
Useful book on studying History - which includes sensible advice on writing essays, and the various 'styles' of History (Historiography) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-History-Palgrave-Study-Skills/dp/1403987343

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending