The Student Room Group

Bristol vs. Nottingham

I've received offers from Bristol and Nottingham, and still waiting on UCL and KCL (and Manchester, but I'm not interested in it anymore because obviously Brizzle and Notts are better). I'm struggling to choose between those two. I like both cities, although Bristol has a unique charm (and I prefer being close to the city than living in an isolated campus). But I'm more concerned about these universities' reputation, teaching quality and job prospects. Can you help me make a decision here?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ratach
I've received offers from Bristol and Nottingham, and still waiting on UCL and KCL (and Manchester, but I'm not interested in them anymore because obviously Brizzle and Notts are better). I'm struggling to choose between those two. I like both cities, although Bristol has a unique charm (and I prefer being close to the city than living in an isolated campus). But I'm more concerned about these universities' reputation, teaching quality and job prospects. Can you help me make a decision here?

My two cents would advise you to choose the uni you feel is the best fit academically and socially for you. All roughly have a the same level of prestige... Therefore your degree classification (more so than the name of your uni) will make more of a difference when it come to future job prospects.
If you prefer the London Unis choose one of them, if you prefer the north choose Manc, if you have an affinity for the law course at Bris or Notts, then choose one of them.. With any of those unis on your cv, you will not be disadvantaged... Congrats on your offers and best wishes on your degree...
Reply 2
Original post by Ratach
I've received offers from Bristol and Nottingham, and still waiting on UCL and KCL (and Manchester, but I'm not interested in it anymore because obviously Brizzle and Notts are better). I'm struggling to choose between those two. I like both cities, although Bristol has a unique charm (and I prefer being close to the city than living in an isolated campus). But I'm more concerned about these universities' reputation, teaching quality and job prospects. Can you help me make a decision here?

In terms of prospects, and this is only if you intend on practising at the Bar, there is no doubt that Bristol is the better University. As of 2012, exactly twice as many Bristol grads gained pupillage compared to Nottingham. This may be very different for practising as a Solicitor, however. This is only a minor point to discriminate between them; as mentioned above neither will make a real difference in terms of prestige, the classification is what will help you gain a TC or Pupillage.

The campus scenario at Nottingham is not something I'd worry about. Yes, the Halls are further from the city than at Bristol, but after the first year most students move to houses that are on the outskirts, or even in Nottingham.

I wouldn't discount Manc either, if you wish to practise in the North (ie. in Manchester, or even Liverpool), some Chambers do prefer people with degrees from the North.

I'll emphasise this again, gaining a TC or Pupillage is down to degree classification. With the exception of Oxbridge, classification>prestige. Obviously, there are going to be exceptions, but within the top 10 law schools, those with Firsts are more desirable than 2:1's. If hypothetically Bristol had better prestige, but you only achieved a 2:1 because you didn't settle, whereas achieved a First from Nottingham because you loved it, you would have better prospects from Nottingham, despite having a lesser reputation.

In reality, this difference is negligible, and as such, it comes down to location and where you would prefer to live, and ultimately succeed..which comes down to your own opinion!
Original post by vimto39
In terms of prospects, and this is only if you intend on practising at the Bar, there is no doubt that Bristol is the better University. As of 2012, exactly twice as many Bristol grads gained pupillage compared to Nottingham. This may be very different for practising as a Solicitor, however. This is only a minor point to discriminate between them; as mentioned above neither will make a real difference in terms of prestige, the classification is what will help you gain a TC or Pupillage.

The campus scenario at Nottingham is not something I'd worry about. Yes, the Halls are further from the city than at Bristol, but after the first year most students move to houses that are on the outskirts, or even in Nottingham.

I wouldn't discount Manc either, if you wish to practise in the North (ie. in Manchester, or even Liverpool), some Chambers do prefer people with degrees from the North.

I'll emphasise this again, gaining a TC or Pupillage is down to degree classification. With the exception of Oxbridge, classification>prestige. Obviously, there are going to be exceptions, but within the top 10 law schools, those with Firsts are more desirable than 2:1's. If hypothetically Bristol had better prestige, but you only achieved a 2:1 because you didn't settle, whereas achieved a First from Nottingham because you loved it, you would have better prospects from Nottingham, despite having a lesser reputation.

In reality, this difference is negligible, and as such, it comes down to location and where you would prefer to live, and ultimately succeed..which comes down to your own opinion!

Original post by vnupe
My two cents would advise you to choose the uni you feel is the best fit academically and socially for you. All roughly have a the same level of prestige... Therefore your degree classification (more so than the name of your uni) will make more of a difference when it come to future job prospects.
If you prefer the London Unis choose one of them, if you prefer the north choose Manc, if you have an affinity for the law course at Bris or Notts, then choose one of them.. With any of those unis on your cv, you will not be disadvantaged... Congrats on your offers and best wishes on your degree...

Thank you both :smile: The general consensus seems to be that Bristol and Nottingham have roughly the same reputation among law firms, in which case others factors should be considered. I like Bristol better as a city and university, so I'll be going with that one if I have to choose between it and Notts. However, if I do get offers from UCL and KCL, then I'll be firming one of them as I'm very much into London.
Original post by vimto39
In terms of prospects, and this is only if you intend on practising at the Bar, there is no doubt that Bristol is the better University. As of 2012, exactly twice as many Bristol grads gained pupillage compared to Nottingham.

It is not very helpful to quote partial and misleading statistics. The figures you quote are for the year 2010/11 and if you had quoted the figures for 2009/10 you would have seen that Nottingham and the University of the West of England had exactly the same number of pupillages and Bristol didn't make the top 20 (in fact didn't make the top 23).
Reply 5
Original post by Ratach
Thank you both :smile: The general consensus seems to be that Bristol and Nottingham have roughly the same reputation among law firms, in which case others factors should be considered. I like Bristol better as a city and university, so I'll be going with that one if I have to choose between it and Notts. However, if I do get offers from UCL and KCL, then I'll be firming one of them as I'm very much into London.

Let me be clear, in my view they all have roughly the same reputation, meaning any of the unis will get you where you want to go... provided you have the requisite grades, ECs and are able to present a strong and viable application to the firms.
As such preference as to where you will be more comfortable academically/socially is the (IMHO) the overriding factor, if that is London than great, if it is in the provinces... then equally great... sounds like you are leaning towards London... Great choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending