The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
when is this exam for may 2014 anyone know what day its on?

Thanks guys
Reply 521
I think it's 4th june

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone remember the precise (or close enough) wording for the Frankenstein questions last June? I need all the practice I can get.

If anyone knows the Browning one too, that would be awesome.
Reply 523
Original post by AlloSlayer
Anyone remember the precise (or close enough) wording for the Frankenstein questions last June? I need all the practice I can get.

If anyone knows the Browning one too, that would be awesome.

For the first of the Frankenstein ones, it was something like 'Frankenstein usurps the role of the woman in creating the monster' and how far you agree with it - I can't remember the exact wording of the 2nd one but I think it was something about the use of 3 narrators and how it creates a sense of narrative unreliability, although I'm not completely sure so someone who answered that one might be able to tell you better as I answered the one about women :smile:
Original post by NiallD
For the first of the Frankenstein ones, it was something like 'Frankenstein usurps the role of the woman in creating the monster' and how far you agree with it - I can't remember the exact wording of the 2nd one but I think it was something about the use of 3 narrators and how it creates a sense of narrative unreliability, although I'm not completely sure so someone who answered that one might be able to tell you better as I answered the one about women :smile:

I answered the second question, it was doubles and doubling not the unreliable narrator :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 525
Original post by GeneralStudent95
I answered the second question, it was doubles and doubling not the unreliable narrator :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes I remember now, not sure why I thought it was about unreliable narrators :confused: I think it's because that's what I had predicted what would come up so I just merged what I thought would come up and what actually did in my head :tongue:
Original post by NiallD
Ah yes I remember now, not sure why I thought it was about unreliable narrators :confused: I think it's because that's what I had predicted what would come up so I just merged what I thought would come up and what actually did in my head :tongue:

Ha, maybe so. I done the second question - I thought the one on women was a little restrictive. The doubling one allowed you to discuss narrative style, technique and the idea of the doppelgänger. Perfect question for me lol

What texts are you doing this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 527
Original post by GeneralStudent95
Ha, maybe so. I done the second question - I thought the one on women was a little restrictive. The doubling one allowed you to discuss narrative style, technique and the idea of the doppelgänger. Perfect question for me lol

What texts are you doing this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I think I was expecting a question on women to come up so I went with the first one, although I don't think the answer I gave was very well linked to the question given as I just talked about all I knew about the role of women in the book, so I'm surprised I was still able to get an A in the exam :tongue: I'm doing Volpone and Paradise Lost for the comparison question and The Tempest for Shakespeare, what about you? :smile:
Original post by NiallD
Yeah, I think I was expecting a question on women to come up so I went with the first one, although I don't think the answer I gave was very well linked to the question given as I just talked about all I knew about the role of women in the book, so I'm surprised I was still able to get an A in the exam :tongue: I'm doing Volpone and Paradise Lost for the comparison question and The Tempest for Shakespeare, what about you? :smile:

Ha, you got the A and that is all that matters! I am doing King Lear for part A. Wife of Bath and Tis a pity she's a whore for comparison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 529
Hey guys,

This is interesting that the question on women came up as there is loads to talk about as well as the one on the doppelgänger/vampire/doubling idea.

What do you guys reckon will come up this summer? Has there been a question on the dangers of progressing science too much yet?

The exam I am sitting which is OCR AS is on 16th may.

Thanks guys :smile:
What questions do you think will come up for turn of the screw?
hey guys I know this is the stupidest question ever but how much do you normally write for an essay? I normally write 3 sides max :smile:
About 1000 words, what poem/book are you studying?
Could you help with English language spec B on the language change and Aquisiton I need help with actually structuring my answers and what to write and not write ??

And same for Philosophy and ethics
I don't have a clue on how to structure I know the knowledge and terminology but can't write it ;(

Everyone has failed last year and I have to retake it. Our teachers are very rude and disrespectful .

I just need help with structuring and understanding the mark scheme

I'm on AQa English language Spec B
And for Philosphy it's RSs04
( AS aqa)
And I have to retake that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any good revision tips? :tongue:
Reply 535
Original post by Big-Daddy
Thanks!

If you have any notes for Dorian Gray that you could send to me, I'd very much appreciate it!

When you say AO3 is counter-argument, I'm unclear - are you saying we should use critical opinions to counter the main argument of our essay, and then debate those critical views and suggest in what way they're right, but also show why they're wrong? And if AO3 only includes critical opinions, then do we need a critical opinion for every paragraph/point we make?

4 points = 4 paragraphs? All around the same general argument which is the focus of the essay and which I repeatedly link back to the question (AO1).

Hey, this may be a bit weird as these comments were last year. But I am wondering whether you happen to have any notes on Thomas' poetry?? I'm struggling with a few and I am re taking the exam I want to do the best I can. I hope you get this post. thanks Albert.
Reply 536
Does anyone have a good structure on how to answer the poetry questions? preferably on WB Yeats
Im on the OCR syllabus
Ideally - how long (minutes) are you meant to spend on each question:smile:
Original post by KatnipEverdeen
Ideally - how long (minutes) are you meant to spend on each question:smile:

The paper is two hours so some people do an hour/hour split between the two essays.

What I've found is that I finish on my essays for poetry around 50 minutes in if I'm prepared.

That leaves more time for the novel essay, so you can plan it out etc. before you write it.
Reply 539
Original post by NiallD
I had learnt some quotes about narrative technique from David Lodge in general for Frankenstein, but I just realised it's not really a different interpretation of the novel, so shall I not include these?

Do you remember the questions for the june 2013 OCR english lit exam?? Or do you know where to find it??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending