The Student Room Group

Difference between a BA in Politics or Business?

A lot of jobs in government seem to favour Business degrees over Politics and it would seem all round more useful....

Yet I'm 10x more passionate and knowledgeable about politics.

I can get by in Business. I got a B in it at A-level, A in Gov't and Politics.

If there is a marginal difference between the two types of degrees for employers, I'll go for politics as I can always learn extra financial skills on the side.

Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by J_89
A lot of jobs in government seem to favour Business degrees over Politics and it would seem all round more useful....

Yet I'm 10x more passionate and knowledgeable about politics.

I can get by in Business. I got a B in it at A-level, A in Gov't and Politics.

If there is a marginal difference between the two types of degrees for employers, I'll go for politics as I can always learn extra financial skills on the side.

Any thoughts?

I'm not just saying this because I'm doing a related degree but I've never heard of employers favouring Business over Politics. As far as I'm aware employers mostly want a 2:1+ and always like work experience. There isn't anything you could do with a Business degree that you couldn't do with a Politics one.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot jelly1000. Has put my fears at rest to some extent. But just wondering why Business is then considered as an "Employable/Useful" degree and Politics and IR etc aren't? I've heard some people say what you're saying and then some people utter that?
Reply 3
Original post by J_89
Thanks a lot jelly1000. Has put my fears at rest to some extent. But just wondering why Business is then considered as an "Employable/Useful" degree and Politics and IR etc aren't? I've heard some people say what you're saying and then some people utter that?

I've never heard that at all.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
I've never heard that at all.

Really? I would have thought slightly self-explanatory due to some business knowledge being technically useful for almost every profession, whereas politics alike psychology, whilst being useful from a personal standpoint, isn't a vocational skill (unless you want to become a politician or professor) and hence of lesser regard?

Hopefully you're right and employers just care about the class and not the actual degree so much, but I would appreciate more answers from others on this topic. Cheers
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by J_89

Hopefully you're right and employers just care about the class and not the actual degree so much, but I would appreciate more answers from others on this topic. Cheers

She is right. Undergraduate business degrees are very little regarded. It's percieved as the degree for someone with an interest in business but without the quantitative skills to do economics or accounting.

Essentially, it's a **** degree for avaricious and ill-advised idiots and you will be bored senseless by exposure to abstract theories that are either only the pointless over-complication of common sense or ivory tower confections having no real world applicability whatsoever.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by cambio wechsel
She is right. Undergraduate business degrees are very little regarded. It's percieved as the degree for someone with an interest in business but without the quantitative skills to do economics or accounting.

Essentially, it's a **** degree for avaricious and ill-advised idiots and you will be bored senseless by exposure to abstract theories that are either only the pointless over-complication of common sense or ivory tower confections having no real world applicability whatsoever.

plus one rep :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by J_89
Really? I would have thought slightly self-explanatory due to some business knowledge being technically useful for almost every profession, whereas politics alike psychology, whilst being useful from a personal standpoint, isn't a vocational skill (unless you want to become a politician or professor) and hence of lesser regard?

see Cambio Weschels reply, plus the fact business isn't really a vocational degree. Unlike law which is necessary whether at undergraduate or GDL level to do the LPC a business degree is not necessary to work in business and applicants to businesses for grad positions will hold a range of degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending