The Student Room Group

Difference in syllabus for IAL and GCE subjects

Is there really a difference in syllabus for IAL and GCE for the following subjects:

ECONOMICS
MATHEMATICS
FURTHER PURE MATHEMATICS
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I saw the IAL for C3 and C4 in January, and its the same spec - but the papers looked harder imo.
Reply 2
In the maths specification consolidation of core into 2 exams doesn't change what you have to learn but could lead to changes in how certain topics are tested. There were some small changes to add new content to FP1 otherwise maths and further maths are unchanged. Note however that not all of the units are available in IAL .
Guidance on the new F1 that replaces FP1 is given in the attached document
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/Guidance_for_implementing_the_new_IAL_Maths_units_C12,_C34_and_F1_(Further_Pure)_Final_Draft.pdf

I agree with emma above that the January core exams looked more challenging than previous papers though many of the regular (not IAL) papers from last summer did too.

Differences in economics are detailed in this document
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/International%20Advanced%20Levels%20from%202013/International%20Advanced%20Level%20in%20Economics%20-%20mapping%20guide.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gdunne42
In the maths specification consolidation of core into 2 exams doesn't change what you have to learn but could lead to changes in how certain topics are tested. There were some small changes to add new content to FP1 otherwise maths and further maths are unchanged. Note however that not all of the units are available in IAL .
Guidance on the new F1 that replaces FP1 is given in the attached document
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/Guidance_for_implementing_the_new_IAL_Maths_units_C12,_C34_and_F1_(Further_Pure)_Final_Draft.pdf

I agree with emma above that the January core exams looked more challenging than previous papers though many of the regular (not IAL) papers from last summer did too.

Differences in economics are detailed in this document
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/International%20Advanced%20Levels%20from%202013/International%20Advanced%20Level%20in%20Economics%20-%20mapping%20guide.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was extremely helpful :smile: Also, could you please tell me if the GCE syllabus has remained unchanged? I am going to give my A2s this may 2014
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
No change to the GCE Syllabus, there won't be until the new uk a levels are introduced for exams from 2017 onwards

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
No change to the GCE Syllabus, there won't be until the new uk a levels are introduced for exams from 2017 onwards

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does this also applies for international students sitting for GCE Edexcel? I am just rechecking...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I thought I already answered this question. The only IAL change is to the F1 unit in IAL compared to the FP1 unit in GCE and the consolidation of the 4 core units into 2 exams.

The only change to GCE syllabus was to remove January exams. International students taking GCE rather then IAL use the same syllabus as UK students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Do you know what they changed in f1? I searched the whole damn world but i couldnt find the new syllabus.

:smile:
Reply 8
If you read the discussion above I have linked to a document that describes all of the changes

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by emmabxoxo
i saw the ial for c3 and c4 in january, and its the same spec - but the papers looked harder imo.

do you know where to find the jan ial papers? Are they even out yet?
Reply 10
if you read the discussion above i have linked to a document that describes all of the changes

posted from tsr mobile

thank you sooo much .....:smile:

btw do you know where to find the jan ial c34 paper?
Reply 11
Original post by JAYANI ANN
thank you sooo much .....:smile:
btw do you know where to find the jan ial c34 paper?

Edexcel have made them available to teachers via their secure web sites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Edexcel have made them available to teachers via their secure web sites.

Posted from TSR Mobile

WELL I KNOW THAT!!
but do u know where to get them without getting the teachers involved
bcoz u see, im like being home schooled
OP are you an ial student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
OP are you an ial student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey emma do u know where to find the ial c34 jan paper
Original post by JAYANI ANN