The Student Room Group

If you are male and vegetarian, GTFIH

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 419
Kinda wish I was a vegan. But goddam fish and chicken taste dam good. I respect those that abstain from it.

I guess it's a hell of a lot easier if you've never eaten/never really liked meat. I stopped being vegetarian for about a year and like chicken but I just couldn't get over the fact that's it's an animal. If you do stop having it for a while you honestly won't miss it :smile:
Scientists seem to now think that what fish 'feel' doesn't even constitute pain. Here's a recent study..

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130808123719.htm

That answers why i am personally happy to ignore fish as moral subjects and it is a good enough reason in my mind.

Keep asking and you'll just get the same answer. I'm happy to go all night.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yep, have you read that sentence properly? It hardly discredits the entire study. The content still stands credible and provides me with good enough reason for my personal beliefs.

Agree
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tomclarky
If a fish's response to pain was anything more than just an unconscious survival instinct then i would consider the ethical implications of eating them closer to meat.

This.

Original post by tomclarky
Maybe I should've said that a fish's pain response is just of a vastly different level of consciousness to that of other animals, rather than it being completely unconscious, if it bothers you that much

It's semantics in the sense that it is a minor issue in relation to the point I was making as a whole, which I know you understand fully.

And this.
Whether or not fish feel stress and if they do to what extent is very much up for debate.
Well as you rightly say, the science isn't clear about these kinds of things, so you can't really win either way. Hopefully more studies in the future will be more conclusive. If future research proves my assumptions to be wrong, then obviously i would be happy to change my views and therefore my eating habits
21, male, vegan. Nothing is more emasculating to meat eaters when I beat them in basketball and they know I'm vegan. Nobody wants to get beat in a hypermasculine sport by a male vegan.
Advice to my fellow male veggies - beat meat eaters in masculine things and they'll feel really stupid and take veganism more seriously.

Edit- I should note that I'm from the U.S., and basketball is a major sport here, unlike in the UK
I know several male vegetarians, and no one ever seems to think it's a problem :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest