The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8620
Original post by Malevolent
Man its an arms race with the Patriots and Broncos!

It's going to be a good playoff game between them two :lol:

Losing Eric Decker hasn't really meant much to the Broncos strength at WR after all...
Original post by alow
It's going to be a good playoff game between them two :lol:

Losing Eric Decker hasn't really meant much to the Broncos strength at WR after all...

Decker is definitely better than Sanders thats for sure :lol:
Reply 8622
Both have limited windows for success right now so it makes sense that they both throw the kitchen sink at getting a superbowl win. I still think the NFC > AFC though.
Original post by ..DT..
Both have limited windows for success right now so it makes sense that they both throw the kitchen sink at getting a superbowl win. I still think the NFC > AFC though.

NFC is easily better than AFC that one isn't a question. Seattle and San Fran are the two best. The NFC championship game was the Superbowl :lol:
Reply 8624
NFC is easily better than AFC that one isn't a question. Seattle and San Fran are the two best. The NFC championship game was the Superbowl :lol:

It's not even just that. I mean you look at how many wasted franchises there are in the AFC at the moment. As a player going into the draft you must dread getting the call from the Jags, the Browns, to an extent the Bills and the Raiders. Teams like the titans and the jets consistently are having losing seasons. Whereas you look at the NFC and think, who won't make the playoffs this year? You'd probably right now look at the NFC least and say the skins and the giants aren't likely but apart from that everyone seems to have a shot.
Reply 8625
Decker is definitely better than Sanders thats for sure :lol:

Maybe not with Manning throwing him the ball... Isn't Sanders insanely fast?
Shout out to Bubba Caldwell, who has elite speed at WR, and decent hands. Decker's departure was basically confirmed when the team prioritised his resigning first. He'll be the #2 wide out in Denver, with Welker in the slot, DT as #1 wideout, JT in at tight end. Sanders is basically for depth when Welker inevitably gets injured. The Broncos also have intriguing options on the practise squad, and could get a WR in the draft as well. The holes in the team have pretty much been filled, so they can pretty much go for the best available player in each round in the draft. And hopefully they get a corner or two. :smile:
Original post by ..DT..
It's not even just that. I mean you look at how many wasted franchises there are in the AFC at the moment. As a player going into the draft you must dread getting the call from the Jags, the Browns, to an extent the Bills and the Raiders. Teams like the titans and the jets consistently are having losing seasons. Whereas you look at the NFC and think, who won't make the playoffs this year? You'd probably right now look at the NFC least and say the skins and the giants aren't likely but apart from that everyone seems to have a shot.

Jags are actually well run and improving. Whisper it quietly, but they could easily go 8-8 next year. Playoffs are probably a bit far off next year, but they should be there or thereabouts in a couple of years or so.

Look, I'm not going to try and make a case for the AFC being stronger than the NFC last year. That the superbowl winner came from the NFC, should be enough to prove that it was the stronger conference. But it wasn't too long ago that San Francisco and the Giants were considered a joke. Ditto the Seahawks. Things change quickly in the NFL.

The running games are better in the NFC whereas the passing games are better in the AFC (historically true as well as for last season - the old AFL had more emphasis on passing). The weather is a factor, to a large extent: Teams with very good running games are equipped to do better in November and December as well as January and February; which is why a solid 'ground and pound', smash-mouth style does well. See: The Steelers and the way in which they put the load on the Bus to win that superbowl. It's also why the NFC North (still the best conference in football) has a lot of success, as well as the NFC East (historically). The Broncos and the Pats are looking to become a better allround team, both should have the defenses and the running game to go toe-to-toe with the NFC's best when the time comes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jammy4041
Jags are actually well run and improving. Whisper it quietly, but they could easily go 8-8 next year. Playoffs are probably a bit far off next year, but they should be there or thereabouts in a couple of years or so.

Look, I'm not going to try and make a case for the AFC being stronger than the NFC last year. That the superbowl winner came from the NFC, should be enough to prove that it was the stronger conference. But it wasn't too long ago that San Francisco and the Giants were considered a joke. Ditto the Seahawks. Things change quickly in the NFL.

The running games are better in the NFC whereas the passing games are better in the AFC (historically true as well as for last season - the old AFL had more emphasis on passing). The weather is a factor, to a large extent: Teams with very good running games are equipped to do better in November and December as well as January and February; which is why a solid 'ground and pound', smash-mouth style does well. See: The Steelers and the way in which they put the load on the Bus to win that superbowl. It's also why the NFC North (still the best conference in football) has a lot of success, as well as the NFC East (historically). The Broncos and the Pats are looking to become a better allround team, both should have the defenses and the running game to go toe-to-toe with the NFC's best when the time comes.

I'm sorry but the Jags are not going 8-8 next year. They have absolutely no one on that team that is any good, literally no one. Blackmon has potential but he hasn't really showed a huge amount in the NFL so far.
Jags are improving more than you give credit for. With the amount of rookies and undrafted players they had on that team, it is a miricle that they even got 4 wins. Gus Bradley is an excellent coach, they have 11 draft picks, and still plenty of cap space.

Going 8-8 is unlikely, but they are in a weak division, with a very favourable strength of schedule. Stranger things have happened.

Luke Joekel should be fit, and the O-Line should be improved; I didn't really rate Zane Beadles in Denver but he is an upgrade for the Jags, no question. Again, they shouldn't be gunning for a QB in the first (or even the second if they can help it) when people like AJ McCarron should be available in the second or the third. And yes, Chad Henne deserves a chance to show the Jags what he can do with some weapons and something that resembles an offensive line - he did a good job considering the situation he was in. With the #3 overall pick, they should get Mack to go with Posluzny (a very underrated linebacker, if I do say so - he's an absolute tackling machine) and their linebacker corps is looking decent. They have addressed most of their key needs. They have upgraded their D-line as well with Clemons and Ziggy Hood, but they are not done yet. Then use the rest of the draft to fill out the secondary and wide recieving corps.(For the record, Cecil Shorts III is more of a bright spot in that Jags offense than Blackmon.). I do love the pick up of Gerhart, though MJD is probably going too. They're s still some very good players available in free agency. Hey, at least the weather's good in Jacksonville, right?
Original post by alow
Maybe not with Manning throwing him the ball... Isn't Sanders insanely fast?

Yeah Haha but I still think Decker is more talented just with a Jets QB wont show it. Sanders is fast but incredibly soft. He gets alligator arms if hes been levelled once :lol:
Yeah Haha but I still think Decker is more talented just with a Jets QB wont show it. Sanders is fast but incredibly soft. He gets alligator arms if hes been levelled once :lol:

Bubba Caldwell is faster than Sanders. He should be the #2 guy in Denver, and has experience of the system. I'm gutted that there is no more Decker days in Denver though. A win was likely if Manning targeted Decker more than DT, I felt. He's not afraid to do the dirty work for the benefit of the team. What bugs me is that he left Denver for not a lot of money at all. :sad:
Reply 8632
x

I think 8-8 may be a tad ambitious but I think realistically they'll want at least 6 or 7 wins on the board. If they draft a 1st round QB maybe the fan base will want to see 8 given the heightened expectation. I just hope they don't have draft blunders that set them back again.
Reply 8633

Oh god that's a really really bold prediction to suggest the Jags will win 8 games next season. They'd have to have a miraculous draft for that to happen. I'd say 4/5 wins tops.

I agree that its cyclic, and on any given day any team can win a match so its hard to predict on paper whether the superbowl will go to the NFC or the AFC. My concern is that the Pats and the Broncos have limited life in Manning and Brady and who is going to step up in the AFC after that? I'd hope the Colts will build around Luck and make them a force.

As for the NFC north being the best conference in football right now.... :K:
Original post by Wattsy
I think 8-8 may be a tad ambitious but I think realistically they'll want at least 6 or 7 wins on the board. If they draft a 1st round QB maybe the fan base will want to see 8 given the heightened expectation. I just hope they don't have draft blunders that set them back again.

8-8 may be ambitious, but stranger things have happened. Considering most of the team was rookies or undrafted free agents they did well. And yes, they are improving.

I really think the Jags are really best serve picking the best available defensive player. And before people really start questioning my sanity, they can roll with Chad Henne and Geibhart, and sit a mid-round QB if they need to. Add weapons in free agency and in the draft...and you never know.
Original post by ..DT..
As for the NFC north being the best conference in football right now.... :K:

I'd still say so. Every team in that division can win it. Every team in that division can do well in the NFC playoffs.The best wide recievers (Jeffrey and Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Cobb and Nelson - Patterson will be there soon enough) call the division home. The running games are good (Peterson, Forte, Lacy; Reggie Bush is a major playmaker out of the backfield for the lions). And for all their flaws, they can actually play defense (even Green Bay), and play in the cold weather. And that's before you get to the quarterbacks. Obviously, Rodgers is a cut above the rest, but you have proper gunslingers in Cutler and Stafford who are good-to-solid starting franchise QBs.

These are teams equipped to win all season long. In short, it ain't called the Black and Blue division for nothing!
Reply 8636
I'd still say so. Every team in that division can win it. Every team in that division can do well in the NFC playoffs.The best wide recievers (Jeffrey and Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Cobb and Nelson - Patterson will be there soon enough) call the division home. The running games are good (Peterson, Forte, Lacy; Reggie Bush is a major playmaker out of the backfield for the lions). And for all their flaws, they can actually play defense (even Green Bay), and play in the cold weather. And that's before you get to the quarterbacks. Obviously, Rodgers is a cut above the rest, but you have proper gunslingers in Cutler and Stafford who are good-to-solid starting franchise QBs.

These are teams equipped to win all season long. In short, it ain't called the Black and Blue division for nothing!

Surely the best division is the NFC West?! The Rams are the only losing team and they get two chalk up losses every season because they have to visit Candlestick and Clink! Every QB is at least passable. Kap and Wilson are Top 10. They've got the top 2 defenses in the league and both NFC Championship teams of last season. The Cards who missed the playoffs would have based purely on results, strolled to the NFC North title.
Original post by Wattsy
Surely the best division is the NFC West?! The Rams are the only losing team and they get two chalk up losses every season because they have to visit Candlestick and Clink! Every QB is at least passable. Kap and Wilson are Top 10. They've got the top 2 defenses in the league and both NFC Championship teams of last season. The Cards who missed the playoffs would have based purely on results, strolled to the NFC North title.

The NFC West is very impressive, but I think the North had a down year in terms of its quality last year, purely because no team really wanted to win it. In 2012, the Packers at 11-5, Bears at 10-6 and Vikings at 10-6 were all really strong. In terms of quality, I'll accept the NFC West was stronger last year, and should up there in the conversation for years to come. But in terms of quality, fierce rivalries. Nothing beats the ol' Black and Blue division. When the Seahawks-49ers rivalry supersedes the Bears-Packers rivalry or even the Packers-Vikings, then maybe the NFC west can be the best. Both divisions are stacked.
Reply 8638
The NFC West is very impressive, but I think the North had a down year in terms of its quality last year, purely because no team really wanted to win it. In 2012, the Packers at 11-5, Bears at 10-6 and Vikings at 10-6 were all really strong. In terms of quality, I'll accept the NFC West was stronger last year, and should up there in the conversation for years to come. But in terms of quality, fierce rivalries. Nothing beats the ol' Black and Blue division. When the Seahawks-49ers rivalry supersedes the Bears-Packers rivalry or even the Packers-Vikings, then maybe the NFC west can be the best. Both divisions are stacked.

Fair shout, the Bears - Packers rivalry is up there with the best. It belongs with Chiefs - Raiders and Browns - Steelers in rivalry folklore as far as I'm concerned. No doubt they had a down year in that division, Cutler and Rodgers injured, Vikings having a QB crisis, the Lions just being the Lions and being wildly inconsistent.
Reply 8639
The NFCW went 30-10 against teams outside of their division last year (34-10 if you include playoffs). It's even more impressive when you remember that 12 of those games were against teams with 11+ wins. (6-6 record, niners lost all 3)

for comparison, the next best was the AFC West at 25-15 (27-17 incl. playoffs, with only 6 games against 11+ win teams, and a 2-4 record), and the AFC East is the only other division that finished over 0.500. The NFC North went 16-24 (23-17 in 2012)

I'm not sure how that ranks in NFL history (it will be up there certainly), but the scary thing is the Rams were the worst team at 7-9, and the 2nd and 13th pick in this year's draft to improve. This year will be interesting

Latest