The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

Manchester Metropolitan University.. Which accommodation?

I've got a conditional offer for a place on the Adult Nursing course starting in September 2014, looking at Birley Fields and it seems so expensive! Wondering which are the best halls for nursing/health based students? X
Reply 1
I'm a bit stuck on accommodation too but apparently briarfields is good
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Yer I've heard briarfields is good, I'm torn between that and birley fields

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Babs007
Yer I've heard briarfields is good, I'm torn between that and birley fields

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, sooo pricey though!
Reply 4
im stuck between briarfields and victoria halls :frown:
Reply 5
Although they may seem like a dive, I have a friend over in Cambridge Halls and he's seriously recommended me heading there! Apparently for social aspects they're the best halls to go to, it's easy to me new people and their is always a party! If you're inclined to favor those aspects lol
Reply 6
Original post by asmyth7
Although they may seem like a dive, I have a friend over in Cambridge Halls and he's seriously recommended me heading there! Apparently for social aspects they're the best halls to go to, it's easy to me new people and their is always a party! If you're inclined to favor those aspects lol

That sounds good. Are the rooms not very nice though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im applying for cambridhe halls, right next to the business school, 10 people in a flat which means you are bound to get on with a few people and the social life is good there apparently!
Original post by vogueegirl
That sounds good. Are the rooms not very nice though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live there now, the halls are as the other member said, pretty awesome for partying. As for the rooms being bad well... there a bit boring but most of the girls I know made there's nice pretty quickly and to be fair you wont spend much of your first year in your room. But yeah you could make it your own quickly since its like a blank canvas.

The two main downsides to it are the fact that its a single bed, but it's pretty easy to fit two people in and sleep alright.

The other downside is the fact that its not en-suite. It's not really an issue for anyone I've ever spoken to though, there cleaned twice a week and you will never have to wait for a toilet or shower to be free.

PS. Don't buy the uni wristband for fresher's week haha :wink:
Reply 9
Cambridge halls, although not very expensive aren't exactly the prettiest of places - you get about 8-10 people to a flat and you have shared bathroom and shower which as you can imagine gets a little grimy.

Then again I've never lived there, only have friends there - if you're willing to spend a little more then there's always private accommodation with unite, but it's expensive compared to Cambridge
Birley Fields was built only for health and social care students/sociology etc, I would definitely go in there if I was taking a degree like that because you're meeting like minded people also it's nice, new and shiny :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by Shock-horror
I live there now, the halls are as the other member said, pretty awesome for partying. As for the rooms being bad well... there a bit boring but most of the girls I know made there's nice pretty quickly and to be fair you wont spend much of your first year in your room. But yeah you could make it your own quickly since its like a blank canvas.

The two main downsides to it are the fact that its a single bed, but it's pretty easy to fit two people in and sleep alright.

The other downside is the fact that its not en-suite. It's not really an issue for anyone I've ever spoken to though, there cleaned twice a week and you will never have to wait for a toilet or shower to be free.

Thanks for the advice! And why should we not buy the wristband for freshers?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vogueegirl
Thanks for the advice! And why should we not buy the wristband for freshers?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will cost you about £30 pounds and every event is in the union bar, we went to the first one there (Cost about £5 entry) didn't have any fun at all. Most people go to the major clubs close to the uni such as Factory (Deep house, student anthems and indie), 5th Av (indie), Baseface (R&B and house) ext ext
Reply 13
It will cost you about £30 pounds and every event is in the union bar, we went to the first one there (Cost about £5 entry) didn't have any fun at all. Most people go to the major clubs close to the uni such as Factory (Deep house, student anthems and indie), 5th Av (indie), Baseface (R&B and house) ext ext

Ahhh thanks for the tip! £30 is a lot of money to waste!
i'm currently torn between oxford court (or whichever that ones called, had a mind blank now!) and briarfields simply because i visited oxford court and not briarfields when i went last time
think i'm leaning towards briarfields though for the bigger flats, more likely to get on with someone that way!

Hello,

I am transferring for my 2nd year, studying International Politics, so there's a lot of reading... But I want to be as social as possible!! As that's the reason I am moving. Would you stay in Cambridge for you second year if you had to stay in halls?

thanks
Original post by brettwho123
Hello,

I am transferring for my 2nd year, studying International Politics, so there's a lot of reading... But I want to be as social as possible!! As that's the reason I am moving. Would you stay in Cambridge for you second year if you had to stay in halls?

thanks

For the social side of it 100%, you'll be with almost all first years though. It's within 2 mins walking to the library so I always do my studying there anyway.
For the social side of it 100%, you'll be with almost all first years though. It's within 2 mins walking to the library so I always do my studying there anyway.

Ok cool thank you. So would you recommend I stay in Cambridge? And is it easy to study in the library..
Original post by brettwho123
Ok cool thank you. So would you recommend I stay in Cambridge? And is it easy to study in the library..

I would recommend it, its awesome. And yeah, the library's so close, just round the corner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending