The Student Room Group

Civil Engineering Degree?

I'm an A-level student interested in entering the civil engineering profession, and would like to know what it is like at uni. If you've done or are doing a civil engineering degree; which university did you go to? what grades (in which subjects) did you get in with? Was/is it hard/easy/boring/fun?
Thanks for the help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did civil engineering at surrey. was a good university. But one word of advice, don't work in civil engineering. Work in oil and gas. I made the switch and i'm making big bucks. I know people after 10 years they are on 1000 quid a day. yes a day/ .
Reply 2
Original post by sharp910sh
I did civil engineering at surrey. was a good university. But one word of advice, don't work in civil engineering. Work in oil and gas. I made the switch and i'm making big bucks. I know people after 10 years they are on 1000 quid a day. yes a day/ .

What do you do in oil and gas?
Reply 3
Original post by kcorbins
What do you do in oil and gas?

I do pipeline engineering. But you can do structural engineering, design of offshore structures, or onshore process facilities.

There is a lot of work in oil and gas. I would join it.

Do a civil engineering degree, then get some work experience in oil and gas during the summer.
Reply 4
I do pipeline engineering. But you can do structural engineering, design of offshore structures, or onshore process facilities.

There is a lot of work in oil and gas. I would join it.

Do a civil engineering degree, then get some work experience in oil and gas during the summer.

Ok but what specifically do you do in pipeline engineering and the other things you mentioned and do you have to move out and live near an oil rig. Thanks for your help.
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
Anyone else know anything about a civil engineering degree?
Ok but what specifically do you do in pipeline engineering and the other things you mentioned and do you have to move out and live near an oil rig. Thanks for your help.

Design of pipelines, planning of pipelines, selecting a route for the pipeline. This can be offshore or onshore pipelines. There is a lot of work in pipeline engineering.

You won't have to live near an oil rig. You can either work in london area or Aberdeen. Or even other countries around the world. There are good opportunities in other countries and no tax. Pipeline engineers with say 15 years experience could be on £1k a day.
Reply 8
Design of pipelines, planning of pipelines, selecting a route for the pipeline. This can be offshore or onshore pipelines. There is a lot of work in pipeline engineering.

You won't have to live near an oil rig. You can either work in london area or Aberdeen. Or even other countries around the world. There are good opportunities in other countries and no tax. Pipeline engineers with say 15 years experience could be on £1k a day.

Pipeline engineering sounds easy, is it? And how did you make the switch or were they happy with your civil engineering degree? Also is it a Beng or an Meng and did you do a year in industry? Thanks.
What are some good units for civil, I've looked on different rankings and they're all completely different??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathsfreak8162
What are some good units for civil, I've looked on different rankings and they're all completely different??

Posted from TSR Mobile

*unis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well Imperial is best for all engineering but the entry is A*AA or AAAA. I would not do Civil engineering but a general engineering degree like structural, by general i mean you can apply the degree in a wide variety of jobs unlike civil engineering.
Original post by Engineer2015
Well Imperial is best for all engineering but the entry is A*AA or AAAA. I would not do Civil engineering but a general engineering degree like structural, by general i mean you can apply the degree in a wide variety of jobs unlike civil engineering.

Thanks so would Durham and Warwick be recommended for general as well? And yes I've booked an open day at imperial already!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so would Durham and Warwick be recommended for general as well? And yes I've booked an open day at imperial already!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick and Durham are excellent universities. I would advise you not to do a engineering degree that is specific unless you are certain on the role and career path you want. Often, engineering students (me included) chose niche engineering degrees and later have second thoughts. Make sure you're certain about the path before making a decision. Even if you decide to do Civil or another engineering degree, lots of employer take on engineering students for non-engineering roles like banking and finance.
Reply 14
I'm an A-level student interested in entering the civil engineering profession, and would like to know what it is like at uni. If you've done or are doing a civil engineering degree; which university did you go to? what grades (in which subjects) did you get in with? Was/is it hard/easy/boring/fun?
Thanks for the help!

What a-levels are you doing or you have done?
Reply 15

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend did civil engineering in Warwick, soon completing his Masters. The reason I didn't join him was because I didn't like the structure, if you don't know the discipline of engineering you want to focus on then I recommend going to Warwick because their modules incorporate many disciplines ranging from Mechanical/Civil/Aeronautical etc engineering but in the Masters level it becomes slightly more specialized. Imperial is very good for civil engineering! If you are very sure what you want to do and if I were you I would research this, a lot.. because honestly doing other kinds of disciplines that you don't want to do later is wasting your time! However it happens many times that students get into engineering and then later on realise that they want to do something different because it doesn't generate much money, which is of course relative to the financial jobs out there.
Reply 16

I don't believe this, do you have any job advertisements stating one could make this much?
Reply 17
Original post by hihoho
I don't believe this, do you have any job advertisements stating one could make this much?

It's genuinely true about Senior Petroleum Engineers making that much. Civil Engineers would be lucky to make £30,000 starting
Reply 18
Original post by JAIYEKO
It's genuinely true about Senior Petroleum Engineers making that much. Civil Engineers would be lucky to make £30,000 starting

I realise it's possible to make much money in such industry but he states 1kquid/day that is 340kquid a year, really? By the way, it's possible to work in the petroleum industry as civil engineer too.
Reply 19
Original post by hihoho
I realise it's possible to make much money in such industry but he states 1kquid/day that is 340kquid a year, really? By the way, it's possible to work in the petroleum industry as civil engineer too.

Yeah it's a lot isn't it. 1k/day, but probably not on a year contract, and probably on the outskirts of a developing country.

Quick Reply

Latest