The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Also this may sound like a daft question but I struggle to get more than 3 or 4 points of a/e, anybody have any tips on how to get more?
Original post by Abbie :)
Keep in mind SQA aren't cruel, they are selfish and they want success rates and A grades as it makes Scottish education system look good :smile: my teacher made the point that if they don't put in a Nazi essay then they are neglecting to test a big part of the course. Doesn't matter to me as I cant understand nazi stuff but it could benefit you if he's right

Yeah your teacher makes a good point. I just hope that he's right haha! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Ami_
Also this may sound like a daft question but I struggle to get more than 3 or 4 points of a/e, anybody have any tips on how to get more?

Keep asking yourself 'what is the effect of is?'

ie Labour introduced Education Act 1944
Effect?
Children received education for a longer period of time
effect?
they will use their education to get a better job
effect?
better future with more money
effect?
can afford to stay out of poverty and feed family, along with offer more to the overall economy through tax

and so on and so on...
Original post by Ami_

I just try to make comments on my KU, i.e. i'll try to show what each point means in relation to the question. For example in my womens essay when i'm writing about the suffragettes I have written about their militant campaign, the analytical comments come from when I say 'such actions sought to dramatise and attract attention to their cause......the government could not ignore....made clear women were taking the issue seriously' ect. Hope this helps.
Original post by Y2J97
Is it possible to still get a high mark in your essay if you don't mention all factors in the main body but mention them in your conclusion? I'd try to mention everything in the main body but it was just in case of timing.

It depends how much knowledge and argument your other points have. For example in the prelim for my second essay I only managed to get half of the factors in because of timing but it turned out I had enough in the others to get 15/20 which I was pleased with considering I thought it was a sure fail. And assuming you wouldn't miss out like 3 factors like I did I think you could still get a high mark. Tbh I don't know what your teacher told you but we have always been told that you never bring in new information in the conclusion and if you end up not doing certain factors you should pretend like you weren't planning on discussing them. So if you have mentioned factors in the introduction that you don't get time to discuss I would think it's a good idea to score out those factors and just put in something like "and other factors".. Just my teachers advice though :smile:
Reply 125
Original post by LCRMG
It depends how much knowledge and argument your other points have. For example in the prelim for my second essay I only managed to get half of the factors in because of timing but it turned out I had enough in the others to get 15/20 which I was pleased with considering I thought it was a sure fail. And assuming you wouldn't miss out like 3 factors like I did I think you could still get a high mark. Tbh I don't know what your teacher told you but we have always been told that you never bring in new information in the conclusion and if you end up not doing certain factors you should pretend like you weren't planning on discussing them. So if you have mentioned factors in the introduction that you don't get time to discuss I would think it's a good idea to score out those factors and just put in something like "and other factors".. Just my teachers advice though :smile:

Ahhh, thank you!
Original post by Lilidh
Hi is anyone doing appeasement and has quotes from historians? I didn't even know you were meant to include them but it would be really good if it would improve the argument mark! Some for Britain would be really good also. I'm doing issues 1, 3, 4 and 6 in both sections :smile:

These are not quotes from historians but are quotes from people at the time :smile:
I was not planning on using any quotes in my essays but I have done a few essays which have quotes in them, these quotes include:

Evaluation of the Munich Agreement

Winston Churchill, "In itself nearly equal to the actual output of British arms factories". This is to do with the fact that Germany had acquired the Skoda Works after they invaded Czechoslovakia, giving them more military power and industry than they had ever had before.

Chiefs of Staff in Britain, "we cannot expose ourselves now to a German attack. We simply commit suicide if we do". This shows that Britain had no real alternative to the Munich Settlement, because they knew that Britain could not risk going to war with Britain (due to weak forces, lack of allies etc.).

Winston Churchill, "silent, mournful, abandoned, broken Czechoslovakia recedes into the darkness. She has suffered in every respect be her association with the Western democracies", this signifies how the Munich Settlement was a complete failure because the allied nations had come to an aggreement without consulting Czechoslovakia. They had completely betrayed Czechoslovakia.

How important was the Polish crisis in Britain's decision to abandon the policy of appeasement?

Neville Chamberlain, "no reliance could be placed in any of the assurances given by the Nazi leaders", this shows how Neville Chamberlain, who was initially was rather fond of Hitler, had now become to see what the true intentions of the man were. This was due to Hitler declaring that Bohemia and Moravia were to be Nazi-administrated, which broke the Munich Agreement, thus, showing Britain that Hitler must be stopped using a stronger method of resistance.

Unknown, "dramatic change of mood in Britain" which can be used in a topic sentence for the point that "appeasement was abandoned due to a change in opinions regarding appeasement."

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by EatAndRevise
But the democracy topic came up last year, so I am not too confident that the SQA would put it in the year after..? But yes, the women's rights one is a point which I thought possible.

My teacher said something about democracy not being in the exam one year and the SQA getting loads of complaints so they keep it in now? She said it's more likely that liberals won't come up but I'm not sure. I'm learning women, labour, how democracy and why liberals to be on the safe side.
Original post by Ami_

Relate every factor/knowledge mark you make to the question.

Britain was a fully democratic nation by 1918. How accurate is this view?

For example:

By 1918, British democracy had grown extensively in regards to the right to vote. The 1918 Representation of the People Act had increased the electorate to all men over the age of 20 and also women over the age of 30. This meant that Britain had become a more democratic nation because more of the population had the vote, and for the first time, women had been given the opportunity to vote. Although this is true, all women were still not enfranchised, with women under the age of 31 not having the right to vote. Overall, Britain had become more democratic, but, it had not become a fully democratic nation due to many women still not being enfranchised.

I think that should give you an analysis mark....? Tell me if I am wrong, because I am still not too sure about analysis vs knowledge marks either.
Original post by clannem
My teacher said something about democracy not being in the exam one year and the SQA getting loads of complaints so they keep it in now? She said it's more likely that liberals won't come up but I'm not sure. I'm learning women, labour, how democracy and why liberals to be on the safe side.

Yes, that seems reasonable enough. But, we are talking about the SQA.... They could trip us up again? But yes, it is probably more risk-free to learn the topics you are learning.
I feel totally overwhelmed by my exams, especially that I've got 3 higher exams this week. I'm struggling to learn all my essays. Do you think that if I learn WHY democracy, Women, Liberal Successes, German Nationalism and Rise of the Nazis then that would be enough?
Yes, that seems reasonable enough. But, we are talking about the SQA.... They could trip us up again? But yes, it is probably more risk-free to learn the topics you are learning.

I suppose they always could, it's the same with the whole idea of Nazis not coming up. I think the worst thing that they could do is put in two of one topic, like two democracy or something like that, I'm just hoping that with the new system coming in they will be a bit nicer with the questions for the old higher. Oh, I meant why democracy, not how.
Original post by natalia2906
I feel totally overwhelmed by my exams, especially that I've got 3 higher exams this week. I'm struggling to learn all my essays. Do you think that if I learn WHY democracy, Women, Liberal Successes, German Nationalism and Rise of the Nazis then that would be enough?

Yes, I think that should be fine :smile: I'm learning Why democracy, women and why liberals (I know labour off by heart now..) and for Germany I'm learning growth of nationalism, rise of nazis (I'll learn a bit for maintenance just incase) and I'll glance over obstacles to unification
Original post by Ami_

Relate the analysis back to question, say what this factor does and whether or not it actually helped. Also, use historiography to back up your argument :smile:
Original post by clannem
Yes, I think that should be fine :smile: I'm learning Why democracy, women and why liberals (I know labour off by heart now..) and for Germany I'm learning growth of nationalism, rise of nazis (I'll learn a bit for maintenance just incase) and I'll glance over obstacles to unification

I know some of my essays off by heart now as well. Just need to keep reading over them constantly to remember the dates and statistics etc. But it's quite difficult since I've got my higher maths exam tomorrow as well.
Also, I was wondering if I should look over Nazis in Power. But I'm not sure if there is any point of doing that since it was in the exam the previous two years.
Reply 135
These are not quotes from historians but are quotes from people at the time :smile:
I was not planning on using any quotes in my essays but I have done a few essays which have quotes in them, these quotes include:

Evaluation of the Munich Agreement

Winston Churchill, "In itself nearly equal to the actual output of British arms factories". This is to do with the fact that Germany had acquired the Skoda Works after they invaded Czechoslovakia, giving them more military power and industry than they had ever had before.

Chiefs of Staff in Britain, "we cannot expose ourselves now to a German attack. We simply commit suicide if we do". This shows that Britain had no real alternative to the Munich Settlement, because they knew that Britain could not risk going to war with Britain (due to weak forces, lack of allies etc.).

Winston Churchill, "silent, mournful, abandoned, broken Czechoslovakia recedes into the darkness. She has suffered in every respect be her association with the Western democracies", this signifies how the Munich Settlement was a complete failure because the allied nations had come to an aggreement without consulting Czechoslovakia. They had completely betrayed Czechoslovakia.

How important was the Polish crisis in Britain's decision to abandon the policy of appeasement?

Neville Chamberlain, "no reliance could be placed in any of the assurances given by the Nazi leaders", this shows how Neville Chamberlain, who was initially was rather fond of Hitler, had now become to see what the true intentions of the man were. This was due to Hitler declaring that Bohemia and Moravia were to be Nazi-administrated, which broke the Munich Agreement, thus, showing Britain that Hitler must be stopped using a stronger method of resistance.

Unknown, "dramatic change of mood in Britain" which can be used in a topic sentence for the point that "appeasement was abandoned due to a change in opinions regarding appeasement."

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks so much!! :smile:
Reply 136
Original post by Abbie :)
Keep asking yourself 'what is the effect of is?'

ie Labour introduced Education Act 1944
Effect?
Children received education for a longer period of time
effect?
they will use their education to get a better job
effect?
better future with more money
effect?
can afford to stay out of poverty and feed family, along with offer more to the overall economy through tax

and so on and so on...

thank you!:smile:
Reply 137
Original post by claudiascott
I just try to make comments on my KU, i.e. i'll try to show what each point means in relation to the question. For example in my womens essay when i'm writing about the suffragettes I have written about their militant campaign, the analytical comments come from when I say 'such actions sought to dramatise and attract attention to their cause......the government could not ignore....made clear women were taking the issue seriously' ect. Hope this helps.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Lilidh
Thanks so much!! :smile:

No worries :smile:
Reply 139
Relate every factor/knowledge mark you make to the question.

Britain was a fully democratic nation by 1918. How accurate is this view?

For example:

By 1918, British democracy had grown extensively in regards to the right to vote. The 1918 Representation of the People Act had increased the electorate to all men over the age of 20 and also women over the age of 30. This meant that Britain had become a more democratic nation because more of the population had the vote, and for the first time, women had been given the opportunity to vote. Although this is true, all women were still not enfranchised, with women under the age of 31 not having the right to vote. Overall, Britain had become more democratic, but, it had not become a fully democratic nation due to many women still not being enfranchised.

I think that should give you an analysis mark....? Tell me if I am wrong, because I am still not too sure about analysis vs knowledge marks either.

Yeah I can see why you would question it, but I agree with you. You would get the analysis mark as well as the KU. Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending