The Student Room Group

Does anyone have b1 b2 b3 ocr 21st century exam tomorrow?

Question says it all.I have mine, I'm so nervous, I'm forgetting everything any last minute tips? :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

I have it too - feeling slightly nervous!
My biology teacher said that the carbon/nitrogen cycle is a likely topic to appear on the paper if that helps? :smile:
I did it last year (in year ten) but I seem to remember it being the easiest one :smile: last minute, I would say just try to know basic things off by heart, and get lots of sleep so you're prepared.
Reply 3
Original post by kaytaylou
I have it too - feeling slightly nervous!

My biology teacher said that the carbon/nitrogen cycle is a likely topic to appear on the paper if that helps? :smile:
Reply 4
I have! So nervous...
I just did a past paper, and now I'm going over my revision guide and making notes of topics I'm unsure of.

Also, does anyone have a link to June 2013 past papers for biology 21c? can't find them online :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by becketts

Also, does anyone have a link to June 2013 past papers for biology 21c? can't find them online :frown:

I don't think you can access them for a year, to give teachers a chance to use them for mocks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by becketts
I have! So nervous...
I just did a past paper, and now I'm going over my revision guide and making notes of topics I'm unsure of.

We did it as a mock. There was a 6 marker on clones, blood pressure and how evolution brings about a new species.

I'm expecting this paper to be difficult tomorrow, since the June one was quite nice. I'm predicting a 6 marker on the nitrogen cycle.
How can you write a good 6 mark answer without writing too much? :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Original post by HeisenbergWW
How can you write a good 6 mark answer without writing too much? :s-smilie:

3-4 PE's (Point, Explanation)

For example, why do we look like our parents?

P: We look similar but not exact to our parents because their sex cells contain 23 chromosomes each.
E: This means that when they form a zygote, we have a mixture of different maternal and paternal alleles.
Original post by Sulfur
3-4 PE's (Point, Explanation)

For example, why do we look like our parents?

P: We look similar but not exact to our parents because their sex cells contain 23 chromosomes each.
E: This means that when they form a zygote, we have a mixture of different maternal and paternal alleles.

Thanks! I always end up getting carried away with them and running out of time.
Reply 10
Original post by HeisenbergWW
Thanks! I always end up getting carried away with them and running out of time.

My advice, this works for me so don't take it as fact, is that you should do the 6 markers at the end of the exam unless you believe you know everything for it right at that time. I do this for a couple of reasons, the first being that I'll probably remember something key as I'm doing other questions so I have time to think and it means that you can basically 'finish the exam' and not be as stressed out as much.
How would you answer a question on nitrogen cycle or carbon cycle (6 marks)? Could anybody give me some points as I easily forget the cycles.
Reply 12
Original post by JazzyT17
How would you answer a question on nitrogen cycle or carbon cycle (6 marks)? Could anybody give me some points as I easily forget the cycles.

1. Nitrogen fixation is where nitrogen compounds form nitrates. This is done by lightning splitting the nitrogen molecule into atoms where they then go into the soil.

2. Nitrifying bacteria absorb these nitrates and use them to make amino acids, proteins.

3. Animals eat the plants and take in these nitrates.

4. The animals release the nitrates by excretion or decomposing (death).

5. Denitrification occurs where the denitrifying bacteria break up the nitrates and return the nitrogen to the air.
Original post by Sulfur
My advice, this works for me so don't take it as fact, is that you should do the 6 markers at the end of the exam unless you believe you know everything for it right at that time. I do this for a couple of reasons, the first being that I'll probably remember something key as I'm doing other questions so I have time to think and it means that you can basically 'finish the exam' and not be as stressed out as much.

That's a really good idea. I think I'll adopt that technique for the exam as it will also help me restrict my timings.
Original post by Sulfur
We did it as a mock. There was a 6 marker on clones, blood pressure and how evolution brings about a new species.

I'm expecting this paper to be difficult tomorrow, since the June one was quite nice. I'm predicting a 6 marker on the nitrogen cycle.

Uh ohhh
Good luck people! :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I have this exam! I've done well in all the past papers, just need to maintain it when it counts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
So how did everyone find it? I thought it went pretty well - just need to carry on the good vibe thtough C123 as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought it was alright:smile: Couldn't think of many points to say for the 6 marker of antibiotics!
Surprisingly there was maths in there!

Quick Reply

Latest