The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Best Accommodation for Nightlife?

Got a place for loughborough doing business econ and finance and was just wandering about accommodation. Was thinking about going for self-catered and en suite, but was just wandering which halls have the best social/nightlife aspects?

People have told me about Uni's in general that the most expensive halls then to be the least sociable, does this ring true here?

Cheers guys,
Reply 1
Even I would like to know
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Every hall is sociable within its own right. It depends on the friends you make there. I lived in Falkner Eggington (Falk Egg) 6 years ago. It was good but at the time I did not really care about night life.

What do you define as nightlife within a hall? Pre-drinks? Holding parties within the hall rather than going to the club? Or something like just having a quiet night in playing cards and board games?
Reply 3
Original post by hessajee
Every hall is sociable within its own right. It depends on the friends you make there. I lived in Falkner Eggington (Falk Egg) 6 years ago. It was good but at the time I did not really care about night life.

What do you define as nightlife within a hall? Pre-drinks? Holding parties within the hall rather than going to the club? Or something like just having a quiet night in playing cards and board games?

How good is John Phillips hall ? I have eared it's full of chines. Is it true or is there a mixture of international crowd ?
Original post by richt006438
Got a place for loughborough doing business econ and finance and was just wandering about accommodation. Was thinking about going for self-catered and en suite, but was just wandering which halls have the best social/nightlife aspects?

People have told me about Uni's in general that the most expensive halls then to be the least sociable, does this ring true here?

Cheers guys,

Every hall has a pretty equal amount of socials and organised nights out, no matter how much it costs to live there. The cheapest hall, Falkner Eggington, has a pretty similar party atmosphere to the most expensive, Elvyn Richards. The only difference might be the people that live there, as you'd expect. Elvyn might have more privately-educated people, Falk-Egg might have a few chavs. You can't really tell, though.

William Morris tends to have the reputation as the 'party hall', but that's simply because it's the biggest hall.
Original post by Dragon12
How good is John Phillips hall ? I have eared it's full of chines. Is it true or is there a mixture of international crowd ?

John Phillips is very diverse. A lot of people from the orient stay there, but that's because it's a postgrad hall, so it's to be expected. Not a party atmosphere really at all. I don't think it even has a common room.
Reply 5
Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend me a postgraduate hall ?
I would like party atmospher and a mixture of international crowd
Thanks for the reply. Can you recommend me a postgraduate hall ?
I would like party atmospher and a mixture of international crowd

I don't think you're going to get a party atmosphere at all in a postgrad hall. Most tend to concentrate on their work. Falkner Eggington has some postgrad blocks, so if you want to party with the freshers, the option is always there.
Reply 7
Original post by thenickoftime
Every hall has a pretty equal amount of socials and organised nights out, no matter how much it costs to live there. The cheapest hall, Falkner Eggington, has a pretty similar party atmosphere to the most expensive, Elvyn Richards. The only difference might be the people that live there, as you'd expect. Elvyn might have more privately-educated people, Falk-Egg might have a few chavs. You can't really tell, though.

William Morris tends to have the reputation as the 'party hall', but that's simply because it's the biggest hall.

John Phillips is very diverse. A lot of people from the orient stay there, but that's because it's a postgrad hall, so it's to be expected. Not a party atmosphere really at all. I don't think it even has a common room.

I am planning to do my pg in loughbrough can you suggest me a hall. I can't deside between forest court, Harry French and John Phillips.
I would like social, international and mixed crowd.
Thank you
Reply 8
I'm also planning on doing my pg at Loughborough, looking at postgrad halls but I'm still looking for a sociable and lively halls, would you suggest Falk-Egg would be more suitable?
I am planning to do my pg in loughbrough can you suggest me a hall. I can't deside between forest court, Harry French and John Phillips.
Thank you

Original post by Annaleise
I'm also planning on doing my pg at Loughborough, looking at postgrad halls but I'm still looking for a sociable and lively halls, would you suggest Falk-Egg would be more suitable?

As thenickoftime said, Falk-Egg seems to be a suitable option for what you're looking for.
Reply 10
Thank you

I didn't even know forest court was a hall
John Phillips is from what I've seen (by walking past and seeing who is going in/leaving the buildings) 90% asians, although I'm sure it's not quite that high, it's all postgrads so very quiet

HF is very underrated, know their freshers was mad, unlimited booze every night of freshers etc but nobody seemed to have even considered it while applying
Reply 11

So for a hall like William Morris or Harry French, does it make a difference to the average student life if you're off campus? (I'm going to be an art student if that helps you answer.)
Original post by k4ya
So for a hall like William Morris or Harry French, does it make a difference to the average student life if you're off campus? (I'm going to be an art student if that helps you answer.)

Not at all! Harry French is full of art students anyway. If anything, it's better. You're closer to the town and you don't get campus noise during the day as people aren't constantly walking past your window. I guess during freshers' week there might be slightly less 'atmosphere', but when you're hanging out of your arse and rotting away with freshers' flu, do you really want that?
Reply 13
Not at all! Harry French is full of art students anyway. If anything, it's better. You're closer to the town and you don't get campus noise during the day as people aren't constantly walking past your window. I guess during freshers' week there might be slightly less 'atmosphere', but when you're hanging out of your arse and rotting away with freshers' flu, do you really want that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha fair enough. Do you know how far a walk the halls in the Village are from the art college?
Original post by k4ya
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha fair enough. Do you know how far a walk the halls in the Village are from the art college?

Not far. About 15 minutes from Cayley, 20 minutes from Bakewell.
i'm looking for a hall which has a moderate party scenes but dont wanna drink my ass out every other night

have applied in the following halls in the order of preference

John Phillips
Falkner Eggington
Harry Frence
Which among these fits the best ?
William Morris without a doubt best for nightlife - only 2 minutes walk from the union! So you can stay really late until last entry. My standard kitchen was also good for beer pong :P but yeah, really sociable place.
Anyone starting Loughborough this September should certainly check out;

http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/velocity/

The ideal society for anyone interested in transport, travel, aviation and logistics alike.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending