The Student Room Group

AS-Level English Literature OCR Exam

Scroll to see replies

How many AO4 points should you write for the novel essay?!
Original post by anxiouslife
How many AO4 points should you write for the novel essay?!

About 3
Reply 542
Original post by SR159
Does anyone have a good structure on how to answer the poetry questions? preferably on WB Yeats
Im on the OCR syllabus

I would just do one form paragraph, one imagerg paragragh and one language effect paragraph. I'd avoid going through the poem chronologically because it seems too simplistic.
Reply 543
What texts have you been studying for the exam ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turn of the screw
I'm confused. Are we supposed to do one paragraph for each AO?? We were taught to get 3 points (3 paragraphs) and just weave the AOs into it. Obviously plus an introduction and conclusion. Would dit be more effective to do it the other way or???
I'm stressing out about this exam
I'm doing Frankenstein for prose and WB Yeats for poetry, could anyone help me with the structure for poetry essays please? I'm okay with prose essays, but I don't feel overly confident about the poetry section!
Reply 547
Original post by RyanEGS18
I'm doing Frankenstein for prose and WB Yeats for poetry, could anyone help me with the structure for poetry essays please? I'm okay with prose essays, but I don't feel overly confident about the poetry section!

What I was told, you could first have an introduction based on AO4 points and ease into the theme of the poem.
then write paragraphs in accordance to the poem, so by stanza you would analyse the language, the form and structure and link it back to the theme of the question.
I'm not confident at all, if anyone can add to my structure, please do so.
Reply 548
does anyone have any notes on The Turn of the Screw
like themes, characters and quotes for them
I'm so stuck I'm going to fail this exam for Yeats and frankienstien

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing yeats and frankienstien ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone doing Dickinson and Jane Eyre?
How everyone find the English exam???:smile:
quite good actually, realise now i lacked A02 in one of my essays but hopefully it wont be that bad, how about you?
Original post by CrookedFloor
quite good actually, realise now i lacked A02 in one of my essays but hopefully it wont be that bad, how about you?

Yep same with me unfortunately and AO3 for my frankenstein:frown: but asides from that I guess you could say it was alright? Lol
Reply 555
Those Dorian Gray questions....

:shot::shot::shot::shot::shot::shot:
For the Jane Eyre question about status, what did people put?!

Also regarding THAT Yeats question... I found this hilarious xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIK8qqfj-2g
Reply 557
Original post by KHJ1
Those Dorian Gray questions....

:shot::shot::shot::shot::shot::shot:

I thought they were both terrible too! Which one did you do? I did the one about it being a moral book which was so nebulous
Reply 558
Original post by Jasey
I thought they were both terrible too! Which one did you do? I did the one about it being a moral book which was so nebulous

Yep. Same. BS-ed my way through it with paragraphs on decadence, art and morality,the moral of the novel and the nature of the novel. Expecting max 3/5 on A01.

How did you tackle it?
I did the moral question too.
Basically rattled off some stuff about how influence within the book is bad (Henry/Dorian) and so any influence, coming in the form of a moral, would by extension be bad upon the reader. Ugh. Very badly phrased argument. Poetry half went a bit better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending