The Student Room Group

Chemistry C1,C2,C3 - May 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beefman10
I know most of these, just the odd ones whitch I need to learn. Thank you

Which ones?
Possibly I can help.
Original post by S.Ahmad
I'd definitely know the definitions and try to incorporate as many of them in your answers as possible, words such as:

Inter-molecular/electrostatic forces - the force on the particals in a structure.

Yield - eistmated yeild % final yield. × 100

Noble gas configuration - 8 electrons on the outer shell.

Giant Lattice

Covalent, Ionic and Metallic bonding

Exothermic, Endothermic. Exothermic, heat given out to the surroundings. Endothermic, heat taken in from the surrounds.

Neutralisation

Oxidation, Reduction

Thermal Decomposition

Delocalised electrons, Sea of electrons - in metals, the electrons are allowed to move around which is why they can conduct electricity.

Fullerenes (Buckminister and Nanotubes) tiny hexagon shaped particals. Fullerences can be used for drug deliver in humans and deogent. Nano tubes are very strong and is used for tennis rackets.

Malluable

Monomer

Conductor

Polymer

Shape memory alloys (Nitinal)

Low density/high density polyethene

Thermosoftening, Thermosetting

Catalyst - speeds up the speed of a reaction. Can reuse it.

Activation energy - the minimum energy needed for a reaction

Surface area:volume ratio

Precipitation

Collision theory - the more frequently particals collide the more energy in a reaction. Can speed this up by heat, increasing the density. More surface area of particals.

Acids, bases and salts

Effluent

Electrolyte - negative particals are attractive to positive electrolytes. And positive particals are attractive to negative.

Anode and cathode

Cryolyte

<\quote>

Correct me if any of them are wrong. I'm going to do another 2 hours of revision. 8 - 10 to make sure I've learnt all of them. Hopefully I will be alright.. :/ slightly worried.
Sorry for spelling mistakes. I'm on my phone at the moment.
Original post by S.Ahmad
Which ones?
Possibly I can help.

Ones above ^^
Good luck guys!
Any predictions on the 6 markers for C2?
Original post by Beefman10

Collision theory - the more frequently particals collide the more energy in a reaction. Can speed this up by heat, increasing the density. More surface area of particals.

Correct me if any of them are wrong. I'm going to do another 2 hours of revision. 8 - 10 to make sure I've learnt all of them. Hopefully I will be alright.. :/ slightly worried.
Sorry for spelling mistakes. I'm on my phone at the moment.

Collision theory is affected by Temperature, Concentration, Pressure and Surface area.
Original post by thechemistress
Determined to not **** up this exam after Biology's failure xD So yeah, hopefully it will go well. If anybody has some challenging C2 and C3 questions, please fire them at me now, thanks :biggrin:

substances found on Mars.
6 (b) (i) What is the purpose of gas chromatography?
...........................................................................................................................................
...........................................................................................................................................
(1 mark)
6 (b) (ii) What information do the molecular ion peaks from the mass spectrometer give about
the substances?
(1 mark)
6 (c) The atmosphere on Venus contains droplets of sulfuric acid solution.
6 (c) (i) Suggest a pH value for sulfuric acid solution.
pH = ................................
(1 mark)
6 (c) (ii) Name the ion which makes sulfuric acid solution acidic.
(1 mark)
6 (d) The atmosphere of Venus contains the isotopes 2
1H and 1
1H
Describe the similarities and the differences in the isotopes 2
1H and 1
1H
You should refer to the sub-atomic particles in each isotope.
enjoy
Original post by artymaniac
substances found on Mars.
6 (b) (i) What is the purpose of gas chromatography?
(1 mark)
6 (b) (ii) What information do the molecular ion peaks from the mass spectrometer give about
the substances?
(1 mark)
6 (c) The atmosphere on Venus contains droplets of sulfuric acid solution.
6 (c) (i) Suggest a pH value for sulfuric acid solution.
pH = ................................
(1 mark)
6 (c) (ii) Name the ion which makes sulfuric acid solution acidic.
(1 mark)
6 (d) The atmosphere of Venus contains the isotopes 2
1H and 1
1H
Describe the similarities and the differences in the isotopes 2
1H and 1
1H
You should refer to the sub-atomic particles in each isotope.
enjoy

I would not describe that as challenging. I would suggest that you bring up the example of the planning question which was on the June 2013 paper. (Question 2)
(edited 9 years ago)
Guysss, do you have any idea what grade 38/60 is for C2 higher AQA. Just a rough idea would be great. Thanks
Original post by Winading001
I would not describe that as challenging. I would suggest that you bring up the example of the planning question which was on the June 2013 paper. (Question 2)

Well it was the last question on the paper which is generally one of the hardest .. but I guess it depends on what your idea of challenging is..
Reply 50
I'm sitting CHEM1 and CHEM2 :smile:
Original post by artymaniac
Well it was the last question on the paper which is generally one of the hardest .. but I guess it depends on what your idea of challenging is..

For me, the last question on the paper was not that challenging.
Original post by BobThomas3
Thanks, more specifically the questions asking 'how can you improve the results of this experiment?' (OWTTE)

A good generic statement is "intoduce more intervals" but only for some questions.
Can someone very quickly explain how changes in pressure affect equilibrium and amount of product produced? Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charlottejyp
Can someone very quickly explain how changes in pressure affect equilibrium and amount of product produced? Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pressure only has an effect on gaseous reactions.

An increase in pressure shifts the equilibrium to the side with less moles of gas by Le Chatelier's principle, in order to minimize the overall change in pressure of the system. In the case of the Haber process ( N2+3H22NH3 \text N _2 + 3 \text H _2 \longrightarrow 2 \text{NH} _3 ), the right side has less moles of gas, so an increase in pressure would cause the equilibrium position to shift to the right and increase the yield of ammonia.

Decrease in pressure does the opposite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by majmuh24
Pressure only has an effect on gaseous reactions.

An increase in pressure shifts the equilibrium to the side with less moles of gas by Le Chatalier's principle, in order to minimize the overall change in pressure of the system. In the case of the Haber process ( N2+3H22NH3 \text N _2 + 3 \text H _2 \longrightarrow 2 \text{NH} _3 ), the right side has less moles of gas, so an increase in pressure would cause the equilibrium position to shift to the right and increase the yield of ammonia.

Decrease in pressure does the opposite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, right, got it. Thank you so much, seriously!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow , c2 was easy :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending