The Student Room Group

As sociology unit 2 2014 21st may!!!

Ok let's all just realise unit 1's ageing population question was a tad...sh1t but unit 2 is 60% so let's do this!

I need help with research methods. I hardly have any info on it! The AQA endorsed book for research methods isn't very helpful tbh.

Any help or info would be great. Also what do you think is likely to come up this year? Gender was last year!

Scroll to see replies

What exam board are you doing? I am doing my AS Sociology unit 2 exam on 21st too but have not clue what you are taking about... I am doing OCR x
Original post by diamondluck
Ok let's all just realise unit 1's ageing population question was a tad...sh1t but unit 2 is 60% so let's do this!

I need help with research methods. I hardly have any info on it! The AQA endorsed book for research methods isn't very helpful tbh.

Any help or info would be great. Also what do you think is likely to come up this year? Gender was last year!

someone i know uses this when writing an essay on methods. i find it a useful structure: PERVERT and DIPCARD

Practical issues

Ethical Issues (DIPCARD)
Reliability
Validity
Example
Representativeness
Theoretical issues (approach)

Ethics:
Deception
Informed Consent
Protection from harm
Confidentiality
Animals if used (mostly a psych thing)
Right to withdraw
Debrief

hope this helps
I am doing the AQA exam on wednesday! I am quite nervous because the other exam was okay.. beanpole family threw me a bit
Reply 4
Going over Education now. Still need to go over Gender Subject Choice, and How Gender Identity is reinforced in Education, as well as Social Class and Ethnicity differences in education then I should be done. Too many authors isn't the word any more...
What is more likely to come up? For AQA sociology unit 2??? Any suggestions
Reply 6
Original post by FindingHappiness
What exam board are you doing? I am doing my AS Sociology unit 2 exam on 21st too but have not clue what you are taking about... I am doing OCR x

I'm doing AQA LOL
Maybe ethnic minority question??
Reply 8
Original post by Bunny2014
I am doing the AQA exam on wednesday! I am quite nervous because the other exam was okay.. beanpole family threw me a bit

Really? That definition was in the AQA endorsed book. I found the ageing population question annoying and the oppression towards women question so so so horrible. I got down abuse and thats it :/ think I might've written how women have no control cos radical feminists think family is patriarchal and not fair. Don't think I'd get the mark for that one tbh!!!

What did u write?

Ageing population I wrote shortage in health services but forgot to write nhs how stupid of me! Wrote how there r more extended and beanpole families etc
Reply 9
Original post by Naomi_parker
What is more likely to come up? For AQA sociology unit 2??? Any suggestions

I doubt gender will come up. I really hope social policy does come up like marketisation or butler act etc.

How do you find research methods? It's so difficult, 20 marks on a possible research method relating to education or one just research method ahh!!!
Really? That definition was in the AQA endorsed book. I found the ageing population question annoying and the oppression towards women question so so so horrible. I got down abuse and thats it :/ think I might've written how women have no control cos radical feminists think family is patriarchal and not fair. Don't think I'd get the mark for that one tbh!!!

What did u write?

Ageing population I wrote shortage in health services but forgot to write nhs how stupid of me! Wrote how there r more extended and beanpole families etc

I knew I didn't get the beanpole family question right

I spoke about domestic violence and I spoke about how women have to do the expressive role and homemaking

Symmetrical family
I spoke about joint conjugal roles
Young and willmotts march of progress view
And that's all only 2 points :frown:

Divorce was pretty okay! I spoke about secularisation, changes in law, feminism, attitudes towards marriage

Ageing population was so bad--- I spoke about more jobs for people, higher taxes and I used the "positive opportunities" which was on the item
I doubt gender will come up. I really hope social policy does come up like marketisation or butler act etc.

How do you find research methods? It's so difficult, 20 marks on a possible research method relating to education or one just research method ahh!!!

Yeah gender won't come up as it came up June 2013 paper on subject choice and there's not much else on gender tbh

I hate research methods so much! There's so many things to know which has to relate to education :frown: so bad
What would you include if a social policy question came up (main points etc)?
Reply 13
Is social policies and educational policies the same thing? The one about marketization and new labour policies?
Reply 14
yeah education policies is the below

1944-79 : Tripartite system
1965+ : comprehensive system
1979-97:Education social policy
- 1988 education reform act: to raise standards
Education social policy again 1997-2010

this is just the brief outline. i Have made notes on education , ive uploaded it on getrevising if anyone wantss.

p.s correct me if im wronggg:colondollar:
Reply 15
Yeah gender won't come up as it came up June 2013 paper on subject choice and there's not much else on gender tbh

I hate research methods so much! There's so many things to know which has to relate to education :frown: so bad

I know what you mean btw i think you're referring to Methods in Context. Thats where you relate methods to education.

Research methods itself you dont have to apply it education, yeah you can mention studies obviously will gain marks etc. So dont worry to much.
Original post by winterx
I know what you mean btw i think you're referring to Methods in Context. Thats where you relate methods to education.

Research methods itself you dont have to apply it education, yeah you can mention studies obviously will gain marks etc. So dont worry to much.

Yeah sorry I meant methods in context I find those so tricky! Also, the research methods are you gonna learn the advantages and disadvantages of each method parrot fashion like word by word? Cos I'm confused between ethnographic and triangulation...don't they both use lots of methods?
I think, it will be either class or ethnic differences
and field or lab experiments for the methods.
Im so scared!!! Exam tomorrow!!! Any predictions??!!
Im so scared!!! Exam tomorrow!!! Any predictions??!!

Look up lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending