The Student Room Group

OCR A2 geology

Nobody seems to be taking this subject on here XD, but I thought I'd start a thread to see how everybody is feeling about the A2 exams :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unit 4 is boring!
Unit 5 is interesting, more to remember, I personally find it easier. :smile:
Reply 2
Whats A2 like compared to AS? taking my AS exams net week! Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
A2
unit four: engineering stuff, so you look at gas/oil/coal extractions, water supply and extraction. Different metal ores and stuff.
Unit 5 : get given like 10 fossils and you need to know them inside out, and there's a few other things however they're pretty easy. There's some isotope stuff, but that's really easy, not really much physics( and I hated physics at GCSE)

The exams, I personally do not think the exams get harder, I take biology and Maths too, and A2 exams in those subjects are harder than the the AS exams.

After now completing the whole spec, I think unit 1 was the best, then Unit 5,4 and unit 2 being the worse. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by noctoc262
Unit 4 is boring!
Unit 5 is interesting, more to remember, I personally find it easier. :smile:

See I'm the other way round I find them about as interesting as each other except I always seem to get higher marks on the environmental paper. To be fair though we still haven't finished the course yet for the second paper so its a tad difficult completing the whole past papers XD.
Reply 5
Original post by Xetter
Whats A2 like compared to AS? taking my AS exams net week! Thanks :smile:

I'd say there isn't a huge leap up in difficulty between AS and A2, if any really I didn't notice the questions getting harder but what i will say is that there is a lot more to learn for the A2 exams, especially in terms of the fossils so you usually need to start revision earlier.
Reply 6
Ah ok. Yeah lots of stuff to learn in unit 5 but you do get your head around it. Lots of people enjoy unit 4 I just find some of it just boring, like that exam is easier than the unit 5 one but sometimes some of the stuff can catch you off gaurd
Yeah, while you get 200-300 people discussing about their phsycolgy exams, last year I got like 3 people to discuss about the exams..

People don't know much about it because it's rare for school to teach geology... So it's underrated, but you can go really far with a geology degree, and doesn't matter if it's underrated because it means less competition and more demand :cool:
Reply 8
Original post by Chrisd00100
Yeah, while you get 200-300 people discussing about their phsycolgy exams, last year I got like 3 people to discuss about the exams..

People don't know much about it because it's rare for school to teach geology... So it's underrated, but you can go really far with a geology degree, and doesn't matter if it's underrated because it means less competition and more demand :cool:

Cheers guys! Chris, i assume by the way your talking you did a geology degree, what type of degree did you do?

Looking at different universities and the courses you can do there seems to be a vairince. For example you can study Geology by itself, Geophysics, Geology and Geophysics, Practical Geography, Earth science, Ecology and Enviroment etc ... With some of them having the words 'BSc' or 'MESci' tagged on the end.

Would anyone like to take the lovely long ended task that is to explain all the differences! haha :smile:
Original post by Xetter
Cheers guys! Chris, i assume by the way your talking you did a geology degree, what type of degree did you do?

Looking at different universities and the courses you can do there seems to be a vairince. For example you can study Geology by itself, Geophysics, Geology and Geophysics, Practical Geography, Earth science, Ecology and Enviroment etc ... With some of them having the words 'BSc' or 'MESci' tagged on the end.

Would anyone like to take the lovely long ended task that is to explain all the differences! haha :smile:

I'm still doing doing my A levels, I'm now on my second year, and chose to do Geology at University ! I was between biomedical science and geology, so did a lot research!:P

You can read the course description at those uni's websites, it says the modules etc, normally the first and second year tend to be the same or very similar, the third year tend to me a bit more different (for example: Bsc Environmental Geoscience and Bsc Geology at Bristol Uni or Applied Geology, Geology and Engineering Geology and Geotechincs at Exter Uni)[h="1"]
Reply 10
Original post by Chrisd00100
I'm still doing doing my A levels, I'm now on my second year, and chose to do Geology at University ! I was between biomedical science and geology, so did a lot research!:P

You can read the course description at those uni's websites, it says the modules etc, normally the first and second year tend to be the same or very similar, the third year tend to me a bit more different (for example: Bsc Environmental Geoscience and Bsc Geology at Bristol Uni or Applied Geology, Geology and Engineering Geology and Geotechincs at Exter Uni)

Thanks again Chris, you sounded like an expert so i assumed you were already there! Haha

Do you know the difference between BSc and MESci? I cant see the difference! Haha

Im actually looking at the Geology courses in Liverpool Uni and hope to be applying end of this year!

Thanks again, Jack
Original post by Xetter
Thanks again Chris, you sounded like an expert so i assumed you were already there! Haha

Do you know the difference between BSc and MESci? I cant see the difference! Haha

Im actually looking at the Geology courses in Liverpool Uni and hope to be applying end of this year!

Thanks again, Jack

ahah thanks! Bachelor degrees and master degrees... Bachelor tend to be 3 years, while master is another year added to those 3 years, so 4 years in total...

You can apply for bachelor then do masters (employers will be looking more for people with masters)..

Haven't looked at Liverpool, but good uni's include Southampton, Bristol, Exeter, Leeds, Oxbridge, UEA, depending on your grades
Just done the first A2 exam, how did anyone find it who's done it? It was a pretty good exam compared to the last few years :smile:
Just done the environmental geology exam. It was so nice.
Just going to go through what I put for each question to compare how I did if that's alright

1.) can't quite remember my order but think I put something like BADCE
2.) The permeable rocks in the aquifer act as a natural filter to remove inpurities
3.) blank (can't remember what the question was or what I put
4.) drew a picture of a cone of depression and wrote as the water level decreases so too does the hydro static pressure and the rate at which the water flows out, if abstraction continues and there is limited replenishment the aquifer may split in two.
4.) Subsidence
-------------------------------------------------From now on question order may be a bit messed up due to memory-----------------------------------------------
5.) reserve is the amount of a resource that is recoverable with current technology that is economically viable
6.)blank
7.) open cast mining is favourable because underground mining and changing temperature and pressure to deal with along with the build up of methane gas it can be dangerous and expensive also most underground mines in the UK have been exhausted
8.) longwall mining this is where two tracks run through the coal mine and a shearer cuts of pieces of coal from the back wall, coal falls onto a conyeyor belt and is brought to the surface mining is done backwards the roof is held up my chocks
9.) blank
10.) 10.4/17.2 (or whatever the numbers were!) x 100 = ( think I got like 58ish percent
11.) 400/ 17.3 (once again or whatever the number was)= I think I got like 23ish years
12.) magnetometer
13.) the line graph I drew level then peaked then level
14.) I drew the positive anomaly from like 20-50
15.) I said it was a salt dome because of the negative gravity anomaly in the middle and the high gravity at the sides
16.) I put the y at the corner of the box were 6/7 were
18.) residual deposits are the result of intense chemical weathering in hot humid climates, the soluble ions are removed in solutions or leached away leaving the insoluble bauxite which can then be used to obtain aluminium
19.) placer deposits occur when a mineral vein exposed at the surface is weathered and the ore and gaunge minerals are separated.
Meander- minerals are deposited at the points bar on the inside of the meander the current/velosity is at it's lowest and the minerals are dropped. gold, is malleable and so does not break instead rolls and forms nuggets, cassiterite and diamonds have limited cleavage planes and are strong so do not break. the deposits for higher concentrations which are economic to exploit
projections in the river bed- hard rocks such as dykes do not weather as quickly as the soft bed rock and so deposits are concentrated behind the projections in the river bed and are prevented from passing they build up into higher concentrations
Plunge pool- as the velocity is reduced after the plunge pool minerals are concentrated at the base of the plunge pool

I will have written so much more but my mind is getting blanker and blanker
If anyone knows the question I can't remember asking just let me know and Ill say what I wrote.

Hope everybody did well ...unless UEA is your firm choice :wink:
Original post by behindblueglass
Just done the environmental geology exam. It was so nice.
Just going to go through what I put for each question to compare how I did if that's alright

1.) can't quite remember my order but think I put something like BADCE
2.) The permeable rocks in the aquifer act as a natural filter to remove inpurities
3.) blank (can't remember what the question was or what I put
4.) drew a picture of a cone of depression and wrote as the water level decreases so too does the hydro static pressure and the rate at which the water flows out, if abstraction continues and there is limited replenishment the aquifer may split in two.
4.) Subsidence
-------------------------------------------------From now on question order may be a bit messed up due to memory-----------------------------------------------
5.) reserve is the amount of a resource that is recoverable with current technology that is economically viable
6.)blank
7.) open cast mining is favourable because underground mining and changing temperature and pressure to deal with along with the build up of methane gas it can be dangerous and expensive also most underground mines in the UK have been exhausted
8.) longwall mining this is where two tracks run through the coal mine and a shearer cuts of pieces of coal from the back wall, coal falls onto a conyeyor belt and is brought to the surface mining is done backwards the roof is held up my chocks
9.) blank
10.) 10.4/17.2 (or whatever the numbers were!) x 100 = ( think I got like 58ish percent
11.) 400/ 17.3 (once again or whatever the number was)= I think I got like 23ish years
12.) magnetometer
13.) the line graph I drew level then peaked then level
14.) I drew the positive anomaly from like 20-50
15.) I said it was a salt dome because of the negative gravity anomaly in the middle and the high gravity at the sides
16.) I put the y at the corner of the box were 6/7 were
18.) residual deposits are the result of intense chemical weathering in hot humid climates, the soluble ions are removed in solutions or leached away leaving the insoluble bauxite which can then be used to obtain aluminium
19.) placer deposits occur when a mineral vein exposed at the surface is weathered and the ore and gaunge minerals are separated.
Meander- minerals are deposited at the points bar on the inside of the meander the current/velosity is at it's lowest and the minerals are dropped. gold, is malleable and so does not break instead rolls and forms nuggets, cassiterite and diamonds have limited cleavage planes and are strong so do not break. the deposits for higher concentrations which are economic to exploit
projections in the river bed- hard rocks such as dykes do not weather as quickly as the soft bed rock and so deposits are concentrated behind the projections in the river bed and are prevented from passing they build up into higher concentrations
Plunge pool- as the velocity is reduced after the plunge pool minerals are concentrated at the base of the plunge pool

I will have written so much more but my mind is getting blanker and blanker
If anyone knows the question I can't remember asking just let me know and Ill say what I wrote.

Hope everybody did well ...unless UEA is your firm choice :wink:

I felt this exam was dreadful and I was disappointed that nothing on hydrothermal deposits came up. I've failed for sure. anyway, question 3 was about the two wells and the similarity and difference between them both.
(edited 9 years ago)
The first calculation was 58.4% and the second 22.5 years I think (or 23.5)...
I had no idea on what the difference was between the two wells?

For the last question, 8 marks, I only had time to draw two labelled diagrams and talk about the metal properties... Didn't mention the mineral veins are eroded and the oter diagrams.. Damn!

There was also questions on landfill,
for the last one I said grouting and it's description... One of them wasn't suitable because sand and gravel are permeable and they were dipping...

For the dam disaster, the beds were dipping towards the valley, two different rock types (explain their properties)...
Heavy rain would give worght to limestone so the fluid pore pressure would increase so water would act like a lubricant reducing cohesion and attrition, leading to landslip... Clay swells with large amounts of water

Can't believe I didn't know what concrete was made of.. Said gravel with rounded pebbles so they can slide past one another and sandstone -.- forgot about cement!

This post might be confusing, doing it on my phone so when I get some I'll make something better

Posted from TSR Mobile
i spelt subsidence with an a... *facepalm*
forgot to mention specifics about cassiterite and diamond, but said gold rolls into nuggets
Sand and gravel probs isnt permeable, didnt say unconsolidated, but it was dipping with bedding planes :smile:
Went okay methinks, not too shabby.
oh and what did ppl say for the difference between well F1 and well F2? Think I said different hydrostatic head, but both in confined aquifer so water rises through natural pressure
Hey hey
for the two wells I said that both of them go through an impermeable layer into a permeable layer which is the confined aquifer
I said the f1 had a higher hydro static pressure which means the water will rise easier with limited pumping where as f2 had lower hydro static pressure and will need more pumping which will cost more

The dam disaster I wrote about a high water table lubricating the bedding plane cause it to slip plus the saturation of the clay increasing the overall weight. And how the slope was too steep meaning there were extra forces acting on the slope side, shown by remnants of previous land slides

The effect of high rainfall was similar to my high water table, the saturation of rocks added weight and the lubrication of bedding planes lead to reduced friction and failure of the slope side

I said the site H had uniform impermeable beds that would prevent infiltration and percolation of pollution from the site, I said the fault could lead to water and pollution escaping away, I said the rocks on the other one were unconsolidated and were unstable and had limited strength and structure leading to collape or the leaching away of water

Improvement method was grouting/clay plastic liner grouting involves the drilling of hole then pumping cement into them to fill the pore spaces an make the rock impermeable also adding a plastic liner means the area becomes impermeable.

I put concrete was made out of: chalk/limestone crushed to provide cac03
aggregate to provide silica
gypsum 5% to reduce the setting/flow rate
For the end question I did include the metal properties sort of by saying gold was malleable and rolled into nuggets and cassiterite/ diamonds have limited cleavage but are very stong so don't break up.

I'm really really really hoping I get an A that would just be awesome!
Reply 19
do you think i could get away with saying about site H being unsuitable for a landfill place by saying that the sandstone would be permeable so would allow leachate to spill out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending