The Student Room Group

OCR A2 global issues case studies!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tgwktm
no i don't do physics, my astronomy is purely as a hobby, and i like the practical side the most but i have about 10 (or maybe more) books on astronomy, stargazing guides, telescopes etc (actually 11 cause i just realised my laptop is sitting on one) do you have a telescope?

exeter (cornwall campus)

oh righty, i love both the practical and theoretical side :smile: No i don't have a telescope :frown: I wish i did but even if i did it probably wouldn't be able to see much as i live in the middle of a city :/ If i get the grades though i'm off to Durham which is nice and small so should be very little light pollution which = great viewing experience :biggrin:

Oh that's cool, i looked round there when i was considering doing their renewable energy engineering course, Falmouth is a really lovely place!
Original post by Tillsy
I need to get 3 As but I really only need a C in geography this year thankfully haha :smile:
I'm hoping to get into Leeds. I have an insurance offer but it's exactly the same grades so it's a bit pointless really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow cool you must have done great at AS! i think i need to get a mid-B which i really hope i can do :smile:
Oh cool I applied to Leeds, i got an offer and nearly put it as insurance- it's such a great city, there's a lot going on :smile:
Original post by mcfc mitch
Ooo! Others doing OCR geography. Some really useful points raised here. I too am struggling to remember and recall information of my case studies.

Part of my problem is my other subjects, maths and physics, seem so much easier to revise, just do a past paper and mark it. With Geography I struggle to motivate myself even though I really like the subject.

I will also check out you blog you linked to earlier, should be useful, thanks. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey you're doing the same 3 A Levels as me :biggrin: I agree that Maths and Physics are easier to revise (although i think they're harder overall to understand)- maths is just practice over and over, physics there's a fair bit of content to learn but i enjoy it so don't mind so much :smile: I keep having to force myself away from them to do Geography - I do find Geog highly interesting but i really hate having to try and learn it all :s-smilie:
Original post by LucyW456
hey you're doing the same 3 A Levels as me :biggrin: I agree that Maths and Physics are easier to revise (although i think they're harder overall to understand)- maths is just practice over and over, physics there's a fair bit of content to learn but i enjoy it so don't mind so much :smile: I keep having to force myself away from them to do Geography - I do find Geog highly interesting but i really hate having to try and learn it all :s-smilie:

Off to Durham eh? Me too! Hopefully.. I agree, maths is just repetition whereas physics is a little different. What do you need to get for your offer? Also what college did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Off to Durham eh? Me too! Hopefully.. I agree, maths is just repetition whereas physics is a little different. What do you need to get for your offer? Also what college did you apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah cool what course are you hoping to do? I need A*AA with the A* in maths or physics :/ Greys, which I got so that was very exciting :smile: how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah cool what course are you hoping to do? I need A*AA with the A* in maths or physics :/ Greys, which I got so that was very exciting :smile: how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wanna do geography so I'm right at home here! Human geography though, none of this physical nonsense. :wink:
I applied to Trevelyan and got an offer of A*AA too. Gonna be a struggle to get an A* but looking good for the A's so we will see.
You visited Durham? What were your impressions?
*sorry to hijack this thread, be back on topic soon* :tongue:
Reply 26
oh righty, i love both the practical and theoretical side :smile: No i don't have a telescope :frown: I wish i did but even if i did it probably wouldn't be able to see much as i live in the middle of a city :/ If i get the grades though i'm off to Durham which is nice and small so should be very little light pollution which = great viewing experience :biggrin:

Oh that's cool, i looked round there when i was considering doing their renewable energy engineering course, Falmouth is a really lovely place!

yeah i live on the edge of a smallish town so i can use a telescope, its a 5 inch reflector, which is perfect for what i like to see, the orion nebula looks great through it (my favourite object in the sky).
that should be nice for you then
yeah i live around 20mins away from the campus so if i get there i will be living at home which means i won't have to abandon my telescope lol
I wanna do geography so I'm right at home here! Human geography though, none of this physical nonsense. :wink:
I applied to Trevelyan and got an offer of A*AA too. Gonna be a struggle to get an A* but looking good for the A's so we will see.
You visited Durham? What were your impressions?
*sorry to hijack this thread, be back on topic soon* :tongue:

Oh cool :smile: whuuuut I way prefer physical geography! It's more sciencey and fact based which I prefer :smile:
Oh right yeh Trevelyan looks nice, yeh I'm pretty certain I can get at least an A in maths and physics but A* just depends on the exam paper, then I'm a bit worried about getting an A in geography, it depends so much on what essay questions come up as some I could do significantly better than iothers.
Yesss I have, I really like it, such a homely place :P I am more of a city person though, but I live in a city at the moment and I could always visit Newcastle for the day if I crave being in one :smile: how about you?
Original post by tgwktm
yeah i live on the edge of a smallish town so i can use a telescope, its a 5 inch reflector, which is perfect for what i like to see, the orion nebula looks great through it (my favourite object in the sky).
that should be nice for you then
yeah i live around 20mins away from the campus so if i get there i will be living at home which means i won't have to abandon my telescope lol

Ah wow that is SO COOL, I might get one before I go :smile: what model do you have? Would you recommend it?
Ahah good good, will save you a lot of money living at home, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for being in extreme debt :wink:
Oh cool :smile: whuuuut I way prefer physical geography! It's more sciencey and fact based which I prefer :smile:
Oh right yeh Trevelyan looks nice, yeh I'm pretty certain I can get at least an A in maths and physics but A* just depends on the exam paper, then I'm a bit worried about getting an A in geography, it depends so much on what essay questions come up as some I could do significantly better than iothers.
Yesss I have, I really like it, such a homely place :P I am more of a city person though, but I live in a city at the moment and I could always visit Newcastle for the day if I crave being in one :smile: how about you?

Yeh, I visited it for a night a couple of months ago. Got a nice feel to it. Also far away from where I live atm so I can get some distance from my parents :yep: Never been to Newcastle but being that close is pretty useful as I bet Durham can get a bit quiet at times. But I don't want to get carried away with thinking about Durham as I'm not confident in getting the A*, although unlike you I can get it in whatever :tongue:
Reply 30
Ah wow that is SO COOL, I might get one before I go :smile: what model do you have? Would you recommend it?
Ahah good good, will save you a lot of money living at home, I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for being in extreme debt :wink:

yeah it is good. my bedroom window looks over a valley there are just a few farms so little light pollution. i have a skywatcher 5 inch reflector. yeah i would, its good for all things really, very good for planets and some of the brighter nebulae. its quite heavy, i couldn't have anything larger atm.
yeah that was one of the advantages, the only thing is i will have to get a bus which depending on my lecture times might mean a quite early start. my friend's sister goes to the same uni and lives at home and she has actually got some of her loan left over- she doesn't know what to do with it. my parents want me to pay for food though but it will just be a contribution and at least i don't need to pay rent
Reply 31
Just did a global issues mock yesterday that I thought went awfully (last years paper), genuinely I didn't even think I'd get a C, and so far one of my essays came back as 27/30 and a 9/10!!
The interesting part is for the essay I really didn't know a lot of case study detail, so that really pushed me into a lot of analysis of the few things I did know!! And I got one of the highest analysis scores I think I have ever got!! Hahaha

I think when I've been writing essays open book, it's too tempting to put in loads of facts and figures but really you don't even need that much, just enough to back up your main arguments (and you can do a little bit of improvisation :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Yeh, I visited it for a night a couple of months ago. Got a nice feel to it. Also far away from where I live atm so I can get some distance from my parents :yep: Never been to Newcastle but being that close is pretty useful as I bet Durham can get a bit quiet at times. But I don't want to get carried away with thinking about Durham as I'm not confident in getting the A*, although unlike you I can get it in whatever :tongue:

Newcastle has got quite a good nightlife scene but it's pretty annoying when every weekend it's full of stag/hen dos :wink: the train from Durham to newcastle is really quick, about 10-15 minutes and you can jump on a high speed train, at a push you could even go to leeds! You've got the benefits of being at an absolutely gorgeous Oxbridge style campus but then the cities aren't too far away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh it's far from where I live too- Bristol- a nice 4 1/2hr car/ train journey yaaaay :/ yeh I've never been to Newcastle either, I'm quite a keen gig- goer (?) so will probably be heading there for a few :smile: yeh neither I've been trying to stop myself from imagining being there incase I'm not- I really love my insurance choice though (Birmingham) so I don't mind too much :smile: that's good you can get it in whatever subject- it doesn't really make any great impact on me that I have to get it in physics or maths, as they are definitely more likely than geography :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tgwktm
yeah it is good. my bedroom window looks over a valley there are just a few farms so little light pollution. i have a skywatcher 5 inch reflector. yeah i would, its good for all things really, very good for planets and some of the brighter nebulae. its quite heavy, i couldn't have anything larger atm.
yeah that was one of the advantages, the only thing is i will have to get a bus which depending on my lecture times might mean a quite early start. my friend's sister goes to the same uni and lives at home and she has actually got some of her loan left over- she doesn't know what to do with it. my parents want me to pay for food though but it will just be a contribution and at least i don't need to pay rent

Nice, cool thanks - I will look into it :smile:
Hmm yeh having to get a bus is a bit annoying, wow loan left over?! Yeh that's fair enough :smile:
Where is your insurance choice (if you have one)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Nice, cool thanks - I will look into it :smile:
Hmm yeh having to get a bus is a bit annoying, wow loan left over?! Yeh that's fair enough :smile:
Where is your insurance choice (if you have one)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

plymouth- i like it there but i prefer my firm
Reply 36
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any good case studies for the Resource section of Pop + Resources... As I have CFP for sustainable fishing and Colorado for managing water supplies but I'm a little unsure if that's enough or what sort or case studies are actually needed .... ?
Any help would be great! :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Josh989
Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any good case studies for the Resource section of Pop + Resources... As I have CFP for sustainable fishing and Colorado for managing water supplies but I'm a little unsure if that's enough or what sort or case studies are actually needed .... ?
Any help would be great! :smile:

For each sub section of pop and resources I have about 3 case studies. I haven't got any for underpop/overpop or for change in demand over time because the ones my teacher did with us aren't that great and I don't really like it or understand it :smile:
For each of my case studies I've just made sure that they fit the specification of what ocr want, so that's meant just adding to some of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Original post by Tillsy
For each sub section of pop and resources I have about 3 case studies. I haven't got any for underpop/overpop or for change in demand over time because the ones my teacher did with us aren't that great and I don't really like it or understand it :smile:
For each of my case studies I've just made sure that they fit the specification of what ocr want, so that's meant just adding to some of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

my teacher said that if under/over population comes up in the exam it is best to avoid it
Reply 39
ahh ok thanks guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending