The Student Room Group

English language exam query

Just did the English Language exam - I choice question 2 of language acquisition.
Just wondering if for the literacy question (reading) if you were allowed to talk about language development - phonetics, discourse, pragmatics, behaviourist, nativist, interactionist etc - even though it was a reading question?
The children were reading out loud and a teacher or mother was prompting and giving feedback...
The vast majority of my answer was based on speech development so have I completely messed up?:confused:
Reply 1
Of course you were allowed to talk about them! They relate to language and the literacy development of children! I did the same question :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kastiel
Of course you were allowed to talk about them! They relate to language and the literacy development of children! I did the same question :smile:

Great! It's just I only realise the question specifically said 'referring to literacy development' half way through my answer - I though literacy was just reading and writing
Reply 3
Original post by TheBob
Great! It's just I only realise the question specifically said 'referring to literacy development' half way through my answer - I though literacy was just reading and writing

I love those questions because you really can talk about anything language related (from both years!) :smile:

I wouldn't stress too much, you've written about child language, and that is all that really matters!
Reply 4
Original post by kastiel
I love those questions because you really can talk about anything language related (from both years!) :smile:

I wouldn't stress too much, you've written about child language, and that is all that really matters!

I agree... Was a great exam to really show your knowledge. Thanks for the info. How did yours go?
Reply 5
Original post by TheBob
I agree... Was a great exam to really show your knowledge. Thanks for the info. How did yours go?

Really well, I think. I didn't panic, which is always a bonus, and managed to keep writing for almost the entire time! Shoved in as much terminology as possible, and hoped for the best :smile:

Not much we can do now other than wait, so I shan't dwell on it :smile:
I thought the texts were really fair this year, nothing too far out of the ordinary and what we had been prepared for!
Reply 6
Thank. God. I just had to do Question 2 because the thought of trying to explain how the kid interacted with his toy gave me a headache! But I am far more confident with the spoken stuff so I was hoping I'd get away with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending