The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit B 2014

Hey everyone,
I'm aware of the 4 AOs that need to be hit in each essay, but I was just wondering if for section B we need to make reference to each AO for each of the three texts we discuss in relation to the question.

So for example, my texts are The Bloody Chamber, Doctor Faustus and Wuthering Heights, and I don't know whether I have to discuss Language, Form and Structure, Context and Debate/Critics for each individual text, or if I can talk about the structure of Faustus , and do lots of language analysis for The Bloody Chamber and include the context of Wuthering Heights (obviously all in relation to the question) and if done well enough, that can equal out to full marks?
Sorry to ask such an inane question, but my teachers have been next to useless in clarifying what to expect and achieve in the exam.

Thank you!!
Original post by richarddawkins
Hey everyone,
I'm aware of the 4 AOs that need to be hit in each essay, but I was just wondering if for section B we need to make reference to each AO for each of the three texts we discuss in relation to the question.

So for example, my texts are The Bloody Chamber, Doctor Faustus and Wuthering Heights, and I don't know whether I have to discuss Language, Form and Structure, Context and Debate/Critics for each individual text, or if I can talk about the structure of Faustus , and do lots of language analysis for The Bloody Chamber and include the context of Wuthering Heights (obviously all in relation to the question) and if done well enough, that can equal out to full marks?
Sorry to ask such an inane question, but my teachers have been next to useless in clarifying what to expect and achieve in the exam.

Thank you!!

I've been taught that you want to talk about all three texts involving all of the AO's otherwise there won't be a sufficient amount of structure/language etc! It's important to talk about it within each text to prove your understanding of the text, most of the time you use language analysis and structure without knowing it anyway!

Good luck with the exam :smile:
Original post by jessicajury
I've been taught that you want to talk about all three texts involving all of the AO's otherwise there won't be a sufficient amount of structure/language etc! It's important to talk about it within each text to prove your understanding of the text, most of the time you use language analysis and structure without knowing it anyway!

Good luck with the exam :smile:

damn, that makes it harder
thank you though!!!

I'm just so worried about the timings for section B! how many points should be made for each text? I've been going with 2 or 3, but generally 2 because I just don't have time
Original post by richarddawkins
damn, that makes it harder
thank you though!!!

I'm just so worried about the timings for section B! how many points should be made for each text? I've been going with 2 or 3, but generally 2 because I just don't have time

I will most likely to two points for each text in section B and somehow link them in some way..

It is a hard exam, however I am more worried about learning the quotes :frown:
Also - to hit AO4 do we need to include both context and critics or is simply context enough?

Quick Reply

Latest