The Student Room Group

Health and Social Care A2 - Anatomy and Physiology Exam - 16th June 2014

As its coming closer and closer to my exam i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what they think will be on the paper, whats topics to revise for and the best ways to revise them ?
Original post by BethRW
As its coming closer and closer to my exam i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what they think will be on the paper, whats topics to revise for and the best ways to revise them ?

Heya, I'm going to put this in the social sciences forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79
Original post by BethRW

Sadly, I don't think you can really predict by any means what's going to come up. You've just got to revise everything and hope for the nice ones :frown: It's not fair xD

What dysfunctions are you doing? Could try and help you out if we're doing similar ones :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Heya, I'm going to put this in the social sciences forum for you as you should get more responses there. :smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Thankyou 👍 x
Reply 4
Original post by Mzeykinns
Sadly, I don't think you can really predict by any means what's going to come up. You've just got to revise everything and hope for the nice ones :frown: It's not fair xD

What dysfunctions are you doing? Could try and help you out if we're doing similar ones :smile:

Its crazy how much we have to learn for 5 questions!
The dysfunctions I'm doing are:
cystic fibrosis
coronary heart disease
gastric ulcer
unsure on female and male repro .. Any ideas on which ones are easier ?
Renal failure
osteoporosis
stroke
Original post by BethRW
Its crazy how much we have to learn for 5 questions!
The dysfunctions I'm doing are:
cystic fibrosis
coronary heart disease
gastric ulcer
unsure on female and male repro .. Any ideas on which ones are easier ?
Renal failure
osteoporosis
stroke

Ah, okay :smile: I'm doing Cystic Fibrosis, Coronary Artery/Heart Disease, Gallstones, Osteoporosis, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome for female infertility, impotence and abnormal superb production for male infertility, and renal failure. So quite a few same ones in there!

If there's anything in particular you're stuck on, I could put notes and stuff up here for you :smile: Bearing in mind I also have Sociology Unit 4 on Monday so I have ridiculous amounts to do for that as well xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I've looked at the last 3 exam papers (June 2012, Jan 2013 and June 2013) and the heart nor the brain has come up AT ALL. There has been so much on the digestive system and male and female infertility, and the renal system in the large 3 exams. As well as a lot on musculo-skeletal diagnosis and treatment and digestive dysfunction and treatment and effects.

My teacher is a moderator for the health and social care coursework and she's always going off to OCR meetings and knows the man who writes the paper and says that the examiner usually does a three year rule where he has to ask about everything in the syllabus within three years. Also, if you look back through examplers, similar things come up.

I'd definitely say respiratory, heart and the brain are the 3 main categories, as they haven't been mentioned AT ALL in the past 3 exams. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Jadeking
I've looked at the last 3 exam papers (June 2012, Jan 2013 and June 2013) and the heart nor the brain has come up AT ALL. There has been so much on the digestive system and male and female infertility, and the renal system in the large 3 exams. As well as a lot on musculo-skeletal diagnosis and treatment and digestive dysfunction and treatment and effects.

My teacher is a moderator for the health and social care coursework and she's always going off to OCR meetings and knows the man who writes the paper and says that the examiner usually does a three year rule where he has to ask about everything in the syllabus within three years. Also, if you look back through examplers, similar things come up.

I'd definitely say respiratory, heart and the brain are the 3 main categories, as they haven't been mentioned AT ALL in the past 3 exams. I hope this helps :smile:

So far, that looks like a nice paper :smile: If the renal system comes up, I'm screwed on that one :/

Also...with the exception of smoking questions, I've never seen them ask about the respiratory system/a respiratory disorder for Q5...don't really think it's likely to happen in terms of causes because a lot of people might be doing Cystic Fibrosis and the only causes of that are genetic, but what about in terms of effects and lifestyle? Only my teacher said not to write any lifestyle effects for Cystic Fibrosis so we don't get confused (because a lot of people write about exercise and life expectancy, in which case they tend to lose marks if it isn't accurate)...so could they possibly ask about a respiratory disorder for Q5? I'd actually love it, dependent on what it was asking :smile:
Reply 8
So how did everyone find it this morning? :smile:
Reply 9
Pretty good, glad my predictions on the brain and heart came up, was also happy with the blood cell question, comparing an artery and a vein and the longer ones were good too :smile: I completely left out the joint question first thing, as my teacher didn't teach us that, but oh well, its only 4 marks. how did you find it?
Reply 10
Pretty good, glad my predictions on the brain and heart came up, was also happy with the blood cell question, comparing an artery and a vein and the longer ones were good too :smile: I completely left out the joint question first thing, as my teacher didn't teach us that, but oh well, its only 4 marks. how did you find it?

Yeah I agree it was actually an ok paper! I'm glad gas exchange came up because I had revised that for ages yesterday! The longer questions were ok too like the IVF one and similar to you the heart questions with the blood cells and comparison of the arteries and veins was quite nice! The one I was like oh no about was the first question, the 3rd picture was so badly illustrated I couldn't understand what it was so I had to just guess the 3rd and 4th diagrams based on what I briefly knew about joints! Not a very nice opening question but the paper all in all wasn't too bad! And after all the dreaded renal system revision it never came up anyway! I'm glad the heart did though, and the brain too! Fingers crossed now for results day :smile:
Original post by Mollie-S
Yeah I agree it was actually an ok paper! I'm glad gas exchange came up because I had revised that for ages yesterday! The longer questions were ok too like the IVF one and similar to you the heart questions with the blood cells and comparison of the arteries and veins was quite nice! The one I was like oh no about was the first question, the 3rd picture was so badly illustrated I couldn't understand what it was so I had to just guess the 3rd and 4th diagrams based on what I briefly knew about joints! Not a very nice opening question but the paper all in all wasn't too bad! And after all the dreaded renal system revision it never came up anyway! I'm glad the heart did though, and the brain too! Fingers crossed now for results day :smile:

Exactly, I'm sure you've done good anyway, what are you hoping for? :smile:
Reply 12
Exactly, I'm sure you've done good anyway, what are you hoping for? :smile:

Aw thank you I hope so! And hopefully AAB or ABB over all but we shall see! What about yourself? :smile:
If I'm going to be completely honest...I thought that exam was mean -_-

I mean, how on earth do you do extended writing on comparing an artery and vein?! xD

Also, am I the only one who noticed that with the exception of the IVF question there was absolutely NOTHING on diagnostic techniques or treatment?!

May as well have skipped over those completely and just focused more on the actual physiological stuff...

So yeah, a tad demoralised because I spent ages revising for this...but then I had also had a 2.5 hour exam in the morning so my brain was a bit frazzled by the time I took Physiology in the afternoon...

Oh well, at least all my class mates thought it was horrible as well...

On the plus side, I'm now FREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 14
If I'm going to be completely honest...I thought that exam was mean -_-

I mean, how on earth do you do extended writing on comparing an artery and vein?! xD

Also, am I the only one who noticed that with the exception of the IVF question there was absolutely NOTHING on diagnostic techniques or treatment?!

May as well have skipped over those completely and just focused more on the actual physiological stuff...

So yeah, a tad demoralised because I spent ages revising for this...but then I had also had a 2.5 hour exam in the morning so my brain was a bit frazzled by the time I took Physiology in the afternoon...

Oh well, at least all my class mates thought it was horrible as well...

On the plus side, I'm now FREEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I thought it was OK - but I know what you mean, I revised diagnostic techniques and treatments etc til I could recite it in my sleep - there seems to be a theme with this for me this year - the stuff I know really well hasn't come up. It's so annoying. Also, the question about the effect of diet on health and wellbeing irritated me. It wasn't that it was difficult, but they could have used that 20 mark question better.

I have one more exam on Friday then I'm free too. Can't wait :biggrin:
Original post by Cluxly
I thought it was OK - but I know what you mean, I revised diagnostic techniques and treatments etc til I could recite it in my sleep - there seems to be a theme with this for me this year - the stuff I know really well hasn't come up. It's so annoying. Also, the question about the effect of diet on health and wellbeing irritated me. It wasn't that it was difficult, but they could have used that 20 mark question better.

I have one more exam on Friday then I'm free too. Can't wait :biggrin:

I literally only did a page and a quarter/half for the diet question...wrote about the positive and negative effects of diet on the cardiovascular system and then some negative effects on the digestive system, then I completely blanked on that...didn't exactly get what they meant by just 'health and wellbeing' though, was it mainly physiological or other PIES effects they wanted? Confused me a bit :/

Good luck with your exam on Friday! :biggrin: What is it?
Reply 16
I literally only did a page and a quarter/half for the diet question...wrote about the positive and negative effects of diet on the cardiovascular system and then some negative effects on the digestive system, then I completely blanked on that...didn't exactly get what they meant by just 'health and wellbeing' though, was it mainly physiological or other PIES effects they wanted? Confused me a bit :/

Good luck with your exam on Friday! :biggrin: What is it?

Well I kind of tried to pull things in from the promoting good health coursework from AS, so included some PIES, but ran out of time and mostly it was just same as you - positives and negatives about physical health. Def won't have got 20 marks for it, but the rest of the exam went well I think. (Hope)

How did you get on in Understanding Human Behaviour? The question about poor hygiene threw me - I got all confused and wrote all about personal hygiene and the effects on relationships and self-esteem etc and then when I went on to the next question it occurred to me it was actually more likely to be about the hygiene of the actual care home, not people. Oops. I don’t think the question was very clear.

Thanks it’s my last Biology one. Dreading it cos the last one was terrible and I need to ace this one to drag by grade back up. Ugh.
Original post by Cluxly
Well I kind of tried to pull things in from the promoting good health coursework from AS, so included some PIES, but ran out of time and mostly it was just same as you - positives and negatives about physical health. Def won't have got 20 marks for it, but the rest of the exam went well I think. (Hope)

How did you get on in Understanding Human Behaviour? The question about poor hygiene threw me - I got all confused and wrote all about personal hygiene and the effects on relationships and self-esteem etc and then when I went on to the next question it occurred to me it was actually more likely to be about the hygiene of the actual care home, not people. Oops. I don’t think the question was very clear.

Thanks it’s my last Biology one. Dreading it cos the last one was terrible and I need to ace this one to drag by grade back up. Ugh.

Human Behaviour was okay :smile: But I agree-what the HELL was that hygiene question?! xD I didn't even attempt that one...stupid question wording -_-

Other than that, I think it was an alright paper :smile: But they gave us loads of space to write on, and I didn't really fill all of the space given in any of the questions (expect for outlining a social learning theory at the end), so I do wonder if I wrote enough for those questions :/ But I think if I were to do it again as I have done past papers while revising, I reckon I could probably do it well :smile: Oh well, too late now!

More biology? Ouch! :/ I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 18
Human Behaviour was okay :smile: But I agree-what the HELL was that hygiene question?! xD I didn't even attempt that one...stupid question wording -_-

Other than that, I think it was an alright paper :smile: But they gave us loads of space to write on, and I didn't really fill all of the space given in any of the questions (expect for outlining a social learning theory at the end), so I do wonder if I wrote enough for those questions :/ But I think if I were to do it again as I have done past papers while revising, I reckon I could probably do it well :smile: Oh well, too late now!

More biology? Ouch! :/ I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: Good luck! :biggrin:

Exactly, no point worrying too much once it's done, there's nothing we can do to change it. I did notice that there was more space for writing than past papers - I didn't fill all the spaces either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending