The Student Room Group

Ffs polys this year - ridiculous

On my FB it is full of poly grads confirming their first class results. Meanwhile, surprise surprise, my RG friends have not had the same luck. Is this right? Surely there should be more regulation now, it is getting out of control. Every other poly result is a first class.

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure 'luck' was an appropriate word choice for the argument you're trying to make, though I can see where you're coming from. Unfortunately, until there's some standardisation between universities, this will likely continue and, frankly, I'd be revelling in my success too had I been so 'lucky'. :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Freudian Slip
I'm not sure 'luck' was an appropriate word choice for the argument you're trying to make here, though I can see where you're coming from. Unfortunately, until there's some standardisation between universities, this will likely continue and, frankly, I'd be revelling in my success too had I been so 'lucky'. :wink:

It is ridiculous. Imagine being a grad of a difficult course in a RG and seeing some student with far less workload and difficulty coming out with their first. Even with Oxford and Cambridge vs other RG unis, the difference in workload is significant because of their shorter term times. Now compare this to polys and it just seems very silly. The thing is, this is a cynical move on the part of the polys to give their grads the best chance of positively affecting their employment statistics. The grade inflation certainly does not look positive for their image.
Original post by C.Almasy
On my FB it is full of poly grads confirming their first class results. Meanwhile, surprise surprise, my RG friends have not had the same luck. Is this right? Surely there should be more regulation now, it is getting out of control. Every other poly result is a first class.

Oh quit whining. Your precious Russell Group degree will apparently qualify you better than a degree from an appalling ex-poly by reputation alone. You can't have it both ways.

Or is it that you're just jealous of their achievement?
Reply 4
jut got thirst from ex poli

/yoloswag
Original post by DErasmus
jut got 1st from ex poli

/yoloswag

Don't troll.
Reply 6
Original post by Mad Vlad
Don't troll.

i am mocking ops perception of polys as some sort of school for people who do sod all
Original post by DErasmus
i am mocking ops perception of polys as some sort of school for people who do sod all

Just be careful...
Reply 8
For God's sake, there was a thread just like this yesterday. Aren't people allowed to celebrate their hard-earned success anymore?
Original post by Ndella
For God's sake, there was a thread just like this yesterday. Aren't people allowed to celebrate their hard-earned success anymore?

Not without >340 UCAS Tariff points you're aren't, apparently.
Too many snobs on here. FFS, you aren't born to rule, try your best and make the most out of your life. Peace.
Original post by C.Almasy
It is ridiculous. Imagine being a grad of a difficult course in a RG and seeing some student with far less workload and difficulty coming out with their first. Even with Oxford and Cambridge vs other RG unis, the difference in workload is significant because of their shorter term times. Now compare this to polys and it just seems very silly. The thing is, this is a cynical move on the part of the polys to give their grads the best chance of positively affecting their employment statistics. The grade inflation certainly does not look positive for their image.

They did less work and got a better class degree. Seems like they may be smarter than RG/Oxbridge students :wink:.
Original post by AlphaTango
They did less work and got a better class degree. Seems like they may be smarter than RG/Oxbridge students :wink:.

Shame in most cases the degree isn't even worth the paper on it :/
Original post by Plasticity
Shame in most cases the degree isn't even worth the paper on it :/

In most jobs they don't give a crap. A degree is a degree, it shows you can learn and can self motivate.

It's only people looking for high end competitive jobs in tough industries that it makes a difference.

The majority of graduate schemes/employers just say '2:1 required' and you tick that box and they don't even look at the name of the university.
Have you not considered the possibility that their students are smarter than your friends?
Who gives a **** to be honest, I went to both a poly and a RG university, some of the modules in my RG uni course were so poorly taught and examined. RG aint god's gift to education.
As representative a sample as your friends might be:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Good+Honours&v=wide

I can't for the life of me find data just for first class degrees, but ex-polys don't seem to give out more firsts and 2:1s in total.
Original post by Mad Vlad
Not without >340 UCAS Tariff points you're aren't, apparently.

I got 400 UCAS points and still decided to go to an ex polytechnic university. Is OP mad? :tongue:

I think OP should wind their neck in and stop whining. Not happy with your grade OP? That's your problem it's not the problem of us ex-poly students. Such ridiculous snobbery. And if your 2:1 is so much better than our 1st then employers will take that into account so shut up and stop being such an ass.
Funny how people in TSR complain about everything!

They first call other universities that aren't at the top of the league worthless but when others go there and do good they get angry!

You went to an RG uni knowing that their work loads and contents are much more difficult. You made that choice. Get over it

Honestly where is the proof that ex polys give out more firsts anyways?

I don't go to an ex poly university and don't plan to but I just think that complain about their first is not your business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Oh for god's sake, who gives a **** anyway?

Maybe if you quit worrying about what people at ex-poly's are doing and focus your own studies then maybe you would have a first as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending