The Student Room Group

Help! What are CamSIS Data!?

Hello, I'm Tina, a prospective applicant applying to MPhil in Political Science. I wondering about CamSiS data that "will be kept in perpetuity" by Cambridge. This concerns me because my research proposal is highly sensitive. What are CamSIS Data? If I got accepted and matriculated, does the core CamSIS data include everything I submitted in my application and will be kept forever by Cambridge?
Original post by Tinaliu123
Hello, I'm Tina, a prospective applicant applying to MPhil in Political Science. I wondering about CamSiS data that "will be kept in perpetuity" by Cambridge. This concerns me because my research proposal is highly sensitive. What are CamSIS Data? If I got accepted and matriculated, does the core CamSIS data include everything I submitted in my application and will be kept forever by Cambridge?

It's the Cambridge Student Information System.

"CamSIS is the University's comprehensive system for handling student information, records and transactions. As the official repository of a student’s record from application all the way through to graduation, it is used by staff, students and alumni to manage and extract student data. It is also the source of statutory governmental reports that secure the University’s funding." (source)

If you need to know exactly what data are held, I suggest you contact [email protected].

Do you think they haven't met this before? Do you think no sensitive research goes on at Cambridge?

Anyway, is the research proposal sensitive, or is the data you would collect in the future the issue - because this wouldn't be on CamSIS?
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Do you think they haven't met this before? Do you think no sensitive research goes on at Cambridge?

Anyway, is the research proposal sensitive, or is the data you would collect in the future the issue - because this wouldn't be on CamSIS?

My research proposal is sensitive and anti-government (to another country). Will my research proposal submitted in my application be kept in CamSIS forever?
My research proposal is sensitive and anti-government (to another country). Will my research proposal submitted in my application be kept in CamSIS forever?

So are loads of POLIS research proposals. Yes, you should assume anything you put on any database will be there for ever. You can speak to them about having it removed under certain circumstances, but what is the purpose of doing the research if no-one is ever allowed to access it?
Reply 5
CamSIS does not hold content like research proposals. At the very most it would hold the title of a research project and I'm not even sure that would be in there.
Reply 6
Thank you for responding! Does "CamSIS data" include the writing samples I submitted in my application? My POLIS writing sample is basically a sharp and bold critique of my country's oppressive government. Will my writing sample be preserved as a part of my core CamSIS data if I enrolled in Cambridge?
Original post by camfess
CamSIS does not hold content like research proposals. At the very most it would hold the title of a research project and I'm not even sure that would be in there.
Reply 7
Thank you for responding! Does "CamSIS data" include the writing samples I submitted in my application? My POLIS writing sample is basically a sharp and bold critique of my country's oppressive government. Will my writing sample be preserved as a part of my core CamSIS data if I enrolled in Cambridge?

No definitely not, that would probably be held by POLIS while making a decision and not likely kept on file there either. But you could ask the Department what their data retention policy is.

But CamSIS, the central university information system would certainly not have anywhere near that level of granular data.
Thank you! Just one more question, I just read Cambridge's retention document and it says CamSIS record will retain perpetually, while "Other electronic and paper records (whether held centrally or in Departments) about individual students will be destroyed after six years of retention." Does that mean my application materials will be retained for six years then destroyed...?

Just ask POLIS. This happens regularly. If it is a genuine concern, then speak to the experts, don't just ask people with some passing knowledge on the internet. Your approach isn't in proportion to your apparent concerns.
Reply 9
I'm replying to camfess' comments and asking him. Why are you replying? In fact, I would prefer you to not reply at all since you appear salty and unhelpful.
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Just ask POLIS. This happens regularly. If it is a genuine concern, then speak to the experts, don't just ask people with some passing knowledge on the internet. Your approach isn't in proportion to your apparent concerns.
If you don't know the answer, maybe it's good to shut up. and don't reply me with a bunch of questions like you did yesterday. Go find something else to do.

I do know the answer, I've been a POLIS MPhil student, and the answer is you need to speak to POLIS. I've also been a member of staff and know more than most will know about the internal workings of CamSIS, and the answer is you need to speak to POLIS.

POLIS has always had students doing sensitive research re overseas political parties, corruption, conflict legitimacy and commercially sensitive matters. It has procedures, they are security procedures, they aren't discussed in public. The answer is you need to speak to POLIS.

Tina Liu, if you are doing genuinely politically sensitive research, then you ought to know by now how to go about managing security protocols. You need to speak to POLIS!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending