The Student Room Group

Been on a GAP YEAR!!! for 3 years ASK ME ANYTHING!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Caitlin_3008
I'm saying the first 2 are good things, so you've got to hope they don't mind the fact your A-Levels are so different...
I'm not trying to be horrible, urgh :frown:

Cat? I'm not an animal.

Does it make a difference how many A-Levels I have? No.

Oh cat I thought you were being mean. The wink emoticon gave that bitchy feeling. :smile:

Well an A* at maths tells me I'm more intelligent than most people on an English course or on an History of art degree. hopefully my volunteering will be a plus. :biggrin:

Original post by Dr Pesto
What did you do for the three years?

Had fun. met my bf. had more fun. did some volunteering across africa and south asia and some european travelling.
Original post by Cloud nine.

Had fun. met my bf. had more fun. did some volunteering across africa and south asia and some european travelling.

Where in Europe did you go?
Lol, I'm also on a gap year though I think three is a bit excessive. So where have you travelled so far? I also did a 30 day volunteering trip to Africa Kenya last February. Hopping to go to China for August. My parents only mildly fund my trips though.
Don't laugh but maybe English or history of Art. I don't know if they'd accept me with chem, bio, physics and maths A-levels though.

Do Physics at uni, thats what im doing anyway lol.
Reply 44
I wish I could take a lifetime gap year while the government pays all my expenses all I ask is to have 500 quid a month left over after my bills have all been paid and I'd be happy as a pig in mud. as long as I'm not working and all I have to do is maintain my health thats like wining the lottery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by WitnessMO
Lol, I'm also on a gap year though I think three is a bit excessive. So where have you travelled so far? I also did a 30 day volunteering trip to Africa Kenya last February. Hopping to go to China for August. My parents only mildly fund my trips though.

I've done volunteering with the African Impact group and I highly recommend them for anyone planning to take a gap year or even just take a few months off to help out and have the experience of a life time. :biggrin:

Let me see: I've been to South Africa, Malawi, Kenya, Madagascar, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Botswana. I also had a rather short stint in Zambia. :happy2:

I've done everything from building a well to helping build a school and teaching kids English. I've been on numerous safari park trips and headed into the Serengeti a couple of times with a ranging party. I've vaccinated hunter-gatherer tribes in remote villages to helping a conservation program maintain their chimpanzee and wildlife orphanage sanctuary in Zambia.

If you go into Kenya you'll hopefully get a glimpse at the Masai warriors and I do recommend visting the gehdi ruins some say they're haunted. :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Dr Pesto
Where in Europe did you go?

I've been to about 20 odd countries but my biggest regret is not going to russia maybe one day. :moon:
Reply 47
Original post by shahbaz
Do Physics at uni, thats what im doing anyway lol.

We'll see. :wink:
I've been to about 20 odd countries but my biggest regret is not going to russia maybe one day. :moon:

I've done volunteering with the African Impact group and I highly recommend them for anyone planning to take a gap year or even just take a few months off to help out and have the experience of a life time. :biggrin:

Let me see: I've been to South Africa, Malawi, Kenya, Madagascar, Tanzania, Zimbabwe and Botswana. I also had a rather short stint in Zambia. :happy2:

I've done everything from building a well to helping build a school and teaching kids English. I've been on numerous safari park trips and headed into the Serengeti a couple of times with a ranging party. I've vaccinated hunter-gatherer tribes in remote villages to helping a conservation program maintain their chimpanzee and wildlife orphanage sanctuary in Zambia.

If you go into Kenya you'll hopefully get a glimpse at the Masai warriors and I do recommend visting the gehdi ruins some say they're haunted. :lol:

Your parents must be loaded? Do you have a job? Do you intend to ever find a specific career path or go back to uni. Is all that volunteering meant to attract employers or is it just for fun. Why did you drop out of dental school. Have you been to China yet. What's your next destination.
What part of dentistry did you dislike?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are your favourite places in Europe. I'm going round but haven't decided where yet.
Original post by rambo1168

Posted from TSR Mobile

The teeth part no doubt.
Reply 52
Original post by WitnessMO
Your parents must be loaded? Do you have a job? Do you intend to ever find a specific career path or go back to uni. Is all that volunteering meant to attract employers or is it just for fun. Why did you drop out of dental school. Have you been to China yet. What's your next destination.

:lol: We get by. :wink:

I did have a job as an intern at some HR office last year but I only lasted about 2 weeks because my boss was a total dick.

I don't know what my next career path is but I'm looking and planning to finish uni, I need a degree in anything at this point. :biggrin:

Never been to China I never thought about going there tbh. My next pit stop is japan/south korea I just love their culture.

Original post by rambo1168

Posted from TSR Mobile

I attended Barts and the london (QMUL) and I don't think I can put it down to one thing. It was a combination of the course teaching, realising that I was going to be there for 5 years and ultimately looking down people's throats for the rest of my life. I just panicked and I got really depressed took a health absence and I never returned!

Original post by EasyReppin
The teeth part no doubt.

:rofl:
I didn't have the same doubts when I did my work experience and the shadowing when I applied through UCAS. :frown:
Original post by lovingislosing
I'm actually mixed race but i'd rather not discuss my heritage publicly

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're probably Asian aren't you?
Reply 54
Well an A* at maths tells me I'm more intelligent than most people on an English course or on an History of art degree.

:lol::lol::lol:

Way to be arrogant :colonhash::congrats:. At any rate, I wish you luck in your eventual degree choice and career search.
Original post by Friendly Liberal
You're probably Asian aren't you?

I've got no asian family, but I'm a quarter black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lovingislosing
I've got no asian family, but I'm a quarter black.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting. Probably a bad pic but you look slavic - Eastern European slovkain, polish :eek:
Reply 57

oh wow so I guess you think you're better than everyone else. *rolls eyes*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest