The Student Room Group

Can i scrap my UCAS application and apply for a different subject before the deadline

Hello

I've applied for 2024 entry BSc economics. I currently have an offer from the University of Manchester and am waiting to hear back from 3 more places. Part of me feels like I should have applied for a different degree.

I did A-level Art, Maths and Geography and achieved A*AA in 2023 (am currently on a gap year). I love anything related to art and have previously thought about applying to architecture, but lots of people always put me down about it so i scrapped the idea. However lately I have been thinking about it more and more.

If I do change my mind and want to do architecture, can I withdraw my application for economics, and submit a new application before the end of January deadline? I would rather not deal with the stress of applying through clearing or even worse having to take another gap year and apply for 2025 courses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou
Did you submit your application to UCAS within the last 14 days?
Original post by PQ
Did you submit your application to UCAS within the last 14 days?

No i did it in early november
Original post by TheStudentMan1

Then your options are:
1) asking your current choice universities to swap your course
If that doesn’t get you an offer you like then
2) Extra opens in February and there’s usually some really good options there
If that doesn’t work then you can use Clearing

You can’t cancel your ucas application and reapply this cycle outside of the 14 day window.
Do you have a portfolio ready to submit for architecture?
Original post by PQ
Then your options are:
1) asking your current choice universities to swap your course
If that doesn’t get you an offer you like then
2) Extra opens in February and there’s usually some really good options there
If that doesn’t work then you can use Clearing

You can’t cancel your ucas application and reapply this cycle outside of the 14 day window.
Do you have a portfolio ready to submit for architecture?

Yes I would have a portfolio ready 👍 I was wondering if when you apply through UCAS extra you have to apply to the same subject or can it be an entirely new one and would it require a new personal statement? thanks for the help !
Reply 5
Hello

I've applied for 2024 entry BSc economics. I currently have an offer from the University of Manchester and am waiting to hear back from 3 more places. Part of me feels like I should have applied for a different degree.

I did A-level Art, Maths and Geography and achieved A*AA in 2023 (am currently on a gap year). I love anything related to art and have previously thought about applying to architecture, but lots of people always put me down about it so i scrapped the idea. However lately I have been thinking about it more and more.

If I do change my mind and want to do architecture, can I withdraw my application for economics, and submit a new application before the end of January deadline? I would rather not deal with the stress of applying through clearing or even worse having to take another gap year and apply for 2025 courses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

Have you heard of Google?
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/making-changes-your-ucas-undergraduate-application
Yes I would have a portfolio ready 👍 I was wondering if when you apply through UCAS extra you have to apply to the same subject or can it be an entirely new one and would it require a new personal statement? thanks for the help !

You can apply for any courses with vacancies.

Whether a new PS will be required is up to the university you apply to.
Original post by PQ
You can apply for any courses with vacancies.

Whether a new PS will be required is up to the university you apply to.

Ok thankyou very much for your help
Reply 9
I’m literally in the same boat as you rn. I applied for econ and have 4/5 offers but i’m currently trying to switch to journalism. I’ve emailed the unis i’ve gotten offers for as I don’t want to take a gap year and luckily one has got back to me and asked for a revised personal statement, so I would say make sure you have a personal statement or portfolio for the new course. Hope it works out for you!!
(edited 3 months ago)

You should be able to withdraw your application, I still had the option weeks after I'd received my options right up until I firmed them.
Original post by Anonymous
You should be able to withdraw your application, I still had the option weeks after I'd received my options right up until I firmed them.

Withdrawing an application is not the same as cancelling within 14 days. It won’t allow reapplication within the same cycle
Original post by PQ
Withdrawing an application is not the same as cancelling within 14 days. It won’t allow reapplication within the same cycle

Ahh ok, thought it was the same thing, mb!
Reply 13
If you are this undecided at this late stage, its better to cancel your current UCAS application and plan a gap year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending