The Student Room Group

Parents live abroad

My parents work and live abroad in portugal and they do not have every single payslip needed for 21/22, they have some gaps due to them being unemployed over certain points of the year, I am living in the UK by myself and have been for nearly 3 years, this is unfair that I cannot get max student finance as my parents get 700€ a month and I can’t afford to live without the maximum student finance just because they cannot find all their payslips (paper) from 2 years ago
Original post by kaihendd
My parents work and live abroad in portugal and they do not have every single payslip needed for 21/22, they have some gaps due to them being unemployed over certain points of the year, I am living in the UK by myself and have been for nearly 3 years, this is unfair that I cannot get max student finance as my parents get 700€ a month and I can’t afford to live without the maximum student finance just because they cannot find all their payslips (paper) from 2 years ago

Hi there,

If you are under 25 then you would need to have 3 years of self support prior to the start of your course to be assessed as an independent student. They can submit their P60 (or their final tax details for 21/22) or if the tax year runs Jan to Dec then they would send us the 2021 details. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you are under 25 then you would need to have 3 years of self support prior to the start of your course to be assessed as an independent student. They can submit their P60 (or their final tax details for 21/22) or if the tax year runs Jan to Dec then they would send us the 2021 details. Thanks, Jason

Hi, i have submitted final tax for their jobs over that year however it is in Portuguese, and again, there are a few gaps due to unemployment (because of Covid) they still are not approving this, along with the few payslips uploaded (which all state under 1000€ for the month). There is not much I can do there must be other people in my position whose parents work and live abroad with missing payslips/documents?
Hi, i have submitted final tax for their jobs over that year however it is in Portuguese, and again, there are a few gaps due to unemployment (because of Covid) they still are not approving this, along with the few payslips uploaded (which all state under 1000€ for the month). There is not much I can do there must be other people in my position whose parents work and live abroad with missing payslips/documents?

Hi there,

Did you receive an e-mail from us confirming that we couldn't accept this evidence? If so, when did you get that?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Did you receive an e-mail from us confirming that we couldn't accept this evidence? If so, when did you get that?

Thanks, Graeme

I haven’t gotten anything saying it’s not approved they have just told me over the phone
I haven’t gotten anything saying it’s not approved they have just told me over the phone

Hi there, Have you been advised of next steps? Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, Have you been advised of next steps? Thanks, Angela

I’m an independent student however have only been independent for the last 2 years instead of 3. How likely am I to get my max student finance accepted?
I’m an independent student however have only been independent for the last 2 years instead of 3. How likely am I to get my max student finance accepted?

Hi there, If we are unable to assess you as an Independent student we would require parents income details to be provided to assess you for the higher amount of funding. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending