The Student Room Group

If Messi wins the WC, is anyone going to claim that Ronaldo is better?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAnusFiles
Look at Argentina today. Abysmal. Do you think Ronaldo would have done what he did today?

There is a distinct difference between mediocre of capability and mediocre of performance.

An actual football afficianado would know that.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Messi over the last five seasons when fit has unfortunately (for my team anyway) been on a different level to anything else I've seen in football. Just above fat Ronaldo at Barcelona. And there's a whole mountain of statistical evidence backing up that view.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not hard when you're the only Striker for your club.

Every Barca player literally passes every ball to Messi. 1-on 1- waits for messi- passes to Messi.

This is why 99% of Messi goals are just outside the box and inside the box.
Original post by Drewski
There is a distinct difference between mediocre of capability and mediocre of performance.

An actual football afficianado would know that.

Yes, anyone who knows ****e all about sport or life in general knows that. However Argentina today were absolute crap. One of the worst performances this world cup, but Messi dragged them through it singlehandedly.

Yes they might have potential but potential means nothing in the context of one match if you play crap
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
zidane is better than both

Zidane isn't close to either of them.
Can someone explain why, winning a competition which naturally requires an entire squad full of players determines which of two individual players is better, as opposed to, you know, doing something sensible like assessing the two players in question on the basis of their actual personal ability rather than the ability of their respective teams/managers/assorted other backroom staff.
Original post by mojojojo101
Can someone explain why, winning a competition which naturally requires an entire squad full of players determines which of two individual players is better, as opposed to, you know, doing something sensible like assessing the two players in question on the basis of their actual personal ability rather than the ability of their respective teams/managers/assorted other backroom staff.

Because reputations are made on individual games. Either way statistically Messi is better
Original post by mojojojo101

Exactly. It's been discussed for ages, Ronaldo fans know it's a knock out blow when you compare club careers so need something to hold against Messi.

Neutrals want to be different & feel like they're more enlightened than the rest of us by opting for likes of Maradona instead of liking what's popular i.e. Messi. Plus a few pundits have said the same so it's no surprise when people repeat it.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Because reputations are made on individual games. Either way statistically Messi is better

Having a reputation and actually being any good are wholly different things.

For the record I think Messi is just the better player, Ronaldo still ranks as one of the single best players ever though.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Exactly. It's been discussed for ages, Ronaldo fans know it's a knock out blow when you compare club careers so need something to hold against Messi.

Neutrals want to be different & feel like they're more enlightened than the rest of us by opting for likes of Maradona instead of liking what's popular i.e. Messi. Plus a few pundits have said the same so it's no surprise when people repeat it.

Saying Maradona isn't so bad. It's when they say Ronaldinho is better than Messi that it gets silly.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Saying Maradona isn't so bad. It's when they say Ronaldinho is better than Messi that it gets silly.

And Zidane, but I suppose it depends who's saying Maradona to be honest. When it's someone under the age of about 35 who's watched a handful of his matches at most compared to live coverage of all of the matches Messi plays in you've got to laugh really.
Reply 70
you're all delusional, Adnan Januzaj > everyone
People always make up excuses for Ronaldo.

'Awww his team is ****'. First of all they have better players than both the USA and ghana. Unlike messi, ronaldo was probably his teams worst player. If he didn't miss all those sitters maybe they could have went through.

Messi winning the World Cup doesn't automatically mean he's better. But if he carries on to single handily drag argentina to the trophy then it further proves his greatness.

What excuses would ronaldo fanboys have left then? That he's never played in the premier league and so has never truly been tested? LOL
Original post by Drewski
How the hell can you possibly say that with certainty? You've no idea how Messi would have performed if he'd had a team of mediocrity around him because it doesn't happen.

Haven't you watched this World Cup? The Argentina team have been completely mediocre.

Messi is the only player in this World Cup to have been voted motm in every game.

In every single game he has saved them
Original post by Jordooooom
Haven't you watched this World Cup? The Argentina team have been completely mediocre.

They haven't been great but they have been markedly better than Portugal.
Messi is the better player but people can't **** on Ronaldo because of his performance at the world cup. He is in a team that has a few good players and a bunch of mediocre players. Messi was in a hilariously easy group and Argentina is much better than Portugal on paper. In addition, it was quite obvious that Ronaldo was not at his best at this world cup due to injuries. I for one think that looking at the world cup to compare great players is ridiculous given the amount of luck that is involved. More importantly, it is ridiculous to compare players on the basis of their comparative performance in the world cup when the teams players play for differ in quality. The champions league has better competition than the world cup, and Ronaldo scored 17 goals in that. Do people claim that this makes Ronaldo greater than Messi? Not if they have any sense. International trophies, or club trophies for that matter, don't determine a players greatness in my opinion because football isn't about one player. Regardless of what people say, Maradona didn't win the world cup on his own. Nobody ever could. If Messi played for Fiji, would they win the world cup?

I judge players almost exclusively on the eye test and on individual performances rather than team accolades. On that basis Messi>Ronaldo but they are both two of the greatest players of all time. In fact, I rate Messi as the best player of all time and don't think he needs the world cup to prove that. I hate the stupid world cup argument.

To everyone who uses the world cup argument, I'd like your opinion on the following statement. Brazilian Ronaldo sucks. He never won the Champions league, which takes place every year, despite being involved in the competition for more than a decade playing for some of the greatest three football clubs of all time in Inter Milan, Madrid and Barcelona. See how stupid that statement sounds?

I don't rate Suarez as being worse than Rooney because he hasn't won as many PL titles or the champions league because I know that if he played in the same teams he would have won the same accolades. The eye test tells me all I need to know. The sooner people understand that trophies are not an accurate measure of how good a player is individually the better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Messi over the last five seasons when fit has unfortunately (for my team anyway) been on a different level to anything else I've seen in football. Just above fat Ronaldo at Barcelona. And there's a whole mountain of statistical evidence backing up that view.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the last 5 years Messi has 274 goals in 264 games. Ronaldo has 252 in 246. So yes, Messi does edge it, but putting aside his Godlike season in 2013, I don't think there's been that much between them.
Original post by tengentoppa
In the last 5 years Messi has 274 goals in 264 games. Ronaldo has 252 in 246. So yes, Messi does edge it, but putting aside his Godlike season in 2013, I don't think there's been that much between them.

Not much between them as goal scorers but as footballers there is a large gap.

Perfect example of this is the 5-0 Barcelona win in the Clasico a few years back. Messi didn't score but he dictated the play and was the best player on the pitch. Ronaldo could never do that. He's a goal scoring phenomenon but he isn't a patch on Messi in terms of all round package.

Messi is also far more clinical in terms of shots to goals than Ronaldo is.
Original post by tengentoppa

So messi was better in the strongest facet of Ronaldo's game? Not making much of argument are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wilfred Little
Zidane isn't close to either of them.

im trollin but neither will have a better wc than 2006 zidane. never seen anything like it.
Reply 79
Messi? James Rodrigues is going to win the World Cup. :smile: nah, seriously though... Argentina aren't going to win it.

Quick Reply

Latest