The Student Room Group

GCSEs good enough for Dentistry?

I want to study dentistry at uni but I'm worried my GCSEs might let me down.

Anyway,

Maths A*
Further Maths B
Biology A*
Chemistry A
Physics A
English Language A*
English Literature A
German B and C (2 GCSEs)
History B
Geography A*
Religious Studies A*

5 A*s, 3 As 3 Bs and a C.

For AS, I hope to take

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Philosophy and Ethics

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by jake4198

Anyway,

Maths A*
Further Maths B
Biology A*
Chemistry A
Physics A
English Language A*
English Literature A
German B and C (2 GCSEs)
History B
Geography A*
Religious Studies A*

For AS, I hope to take

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Philosophy and Ethics

Thanks

Your GCSE's are fine, I'm pretty sure no universities (apart from Birmingham) would have a problem with them. What universities are you considering?
(edited 9 years ago)

Anyway,

Maths A*
Further Maths B
Biology A*
Chemistry A
Physics A
English Language A*
English Literature A
German B and C (2 GCSEs)
History B
Geography A*
Religious Studies A*

For AS, I hope to take

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Philosophy and Ethics

Thanks

Just moved this into the dentistry section for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They aren't exceptional, but they shouldn't put you off applying if your AS grades are good enough.

Original post by Changing Skies
Just moved this into the dentistry section for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop showing off your mod powers :wink:

Anyway,

Maths A*
Further Maths B
Biology A*
Chemistry A
Physics A
English Language A*
English Literature A
German B and C (2 GCSEs)
History B
Geography A*
Religious Studies A*

For AS, I hope to take

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Philosophy and Ethics

Thanks

They seem fine. A few of my friends got similar to those, granted it was a long time ago now. If you like it, dentistry is a fantastic profession

Anyway,

Maths A*
Further Maths B
Biology A*
Chemistry A
Physics A
English Language A*
English Literature A
German B and C (2 GCSEs)
History B
Geography A*
Religious Studies A*

For AS, I hope to take

Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Philosophy and Ethics

Thanks

Hey,

When you think with a mindset like this, you've already defeated yourself. You are not inadequate. You need to believe that. What you NEED to do is kill your AS year, and then re-assess. If you get 4A's, you're on the right track. The emphasis is truly on the AS for most Universities. Of-course, to attain a more holistic picture, GCSEs do come in to play. A-Levels however take precedence.

I have similar GCSEs consisting of the same number of A*s, rest As.(no Bs and Cs), and I took 2 of the same subjects this year. I was planning to do Medicine, but truly, that isn't for me. I ****ed this year up, epicly. The main reason being, I didn't have faith in myself. I wavered. I thought it was all fallacious. I read **** like this on TSR, and I was discouraged. If I'm entirely honest though, I didn't work for it. Plain and simple. No point crying about. The reason I'm telling you this is to deter you from making the same mistake. Don't let that happen.

(I suppose all is well, messing up terribly has given me some perspective I'd never had attained had I not failed.)

Furthermore, don't let teachers or other students talk you down when you tell them your career
aspirations; let your work do the talking.

Ultimately; WORK. GCSEs in the broader scheme of things are nothing. A-Levels take precedence, and achieving those, you're in decent standing. Not the best, but by no means, in irreparable standing. You can still make it.

Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ABeautifulMindX
Hey,

When you think with a mindset like this, you've already defeated yourself. You are not inadequate. You need to believe that. What you NEED to do is kill your AS year, and then re-assess. If you get 4A's, you're on the right track. The emphasis is truly on the AS for most Universities. Of-course, to attain a more holistic picture, GCSEs do come in to play. A-Levels however take precedence.

I have similar GCSEs consisting of the same number of A*s, rest As.(no Bs and Cs), and I took 2 of the same subjects this year. I was planning to do Medicine, but truly, that isn't for me. I ****ed this year up, epicly. The main reason being, I didn't have faith in myself. I wavered. I thought it was all fallacious. I read **** like this on TSR, and I was discouraged. If I'm entirely honest though, I didn't work for it. Plain and simple. No point crying about. The reason I'm telling you this is to deter you from making the same mistake. Don't let that happen.

(I suppose all is well, messing up terribly has given me some perspective I'd never had attained had I not failed.)

Furthermore, don't let teachers or other students talk you down when you tell them your career
aspirations; let your work do the talking.

Ultimately; WORK. GCSEs in the broader scheme of things are nothing. A-Levels take precedence, and achieving those, you're in decent standing. Not the best, but by no means, in irreparable standing. You can still make it.

Good luck.

Wow, thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest