The Student Room Group

Should teachers be banned from striking?

Scroll to see replies

Anyone who would seriously suggest banning teachers from striking clearly doesn't understand the first thing about the teaching profession.
Original post by Le Nombre
But that would suggest it's a similar pro rata rate to other jobs, it still isn't the same hourly rate as lawyers, accountants, bankers and so on earn, though obviously it's nice being paid for holiday.

I never said that. That is an assumption you've made yourself.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I think it's got more to do with the fact that teachers can seemingly strike regardless of the effects on a child's education, but woe betide any parents taking their children out of school for a day or two. Horrendous double standards.

Double standards by whom

The government disapproves of both

Schools (and more relevantly individual teachers) did not change any of the rules regarding students taking time off school
The reasons police and the army aren't allowed on strike is because they are security services and them deciding to go on strike even just for a day would cause a great problems for society. Say for example someone is raped and the police are on strike, how would they feel when they rang the police to report it only to be told that the police were on strike? Teachers on the other hand while them going on stirke may cause disruption for parents aren't putting the security of others at risk and therefore should be able to strike.
One of the most depressing parts about being a teacher is reading stuff like this. Most of the general public just thinks we are worthless. So much misinformed *******s, teachers are greedy lol? Work-life balance? I'd love to know what other job pays just over £20,000 for 60 hours a week. Do the math with that and it works out about minimum wage, (we don't get paid for the holidays).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FrostyLemon
One of the most depressing parts about being a teacher is reading stuff like this. Most of the general public just thinks we are worthless. So much misinformed *******s, teachers are greedy lol? Work-life balance? I'd love to know what other job pays just over £20,000 for 60 hours a week. Do the math with that and it works out about minimum wage.

No they don't think you are worthless nobody has said that. On the contrary it has been stated that they are an integral part of society. Stop trying to attract sympathy.
I'm judging by the fact that you said reading stuff like this followed by general public thinking you're worthless that you are assuming TSR represents most of the general public.

Yes, they already have more than enough to live on and if they don't they need to adjust and reduce the luxuries in their life. Wanting more is just greedy.

If they don't like the pay for the amount of work they do then they have the choice to leave. You can't take up a job agree to the pay and hours and then say it's not enough.
Original post by TSA
No they don't think you are worthless nobody has said that. On the contrary it has been stated that they are an integral part of society. Stop trying to attract sympathy.
I'm judging by the fact that you said reading stuff like this followed by general public thinking you're worthless that you are assuming TSR represents most of the general public.

Yes, they already have more than enough to live on and if they don't they need to adjust and reduce the luxuries in their life. Wanting more is just greedy.

If they don't like the pay for the amount of work they do then they have the choice to leave. You can't take up a job agree to the pay and hours and then say it's not enough.

The general public seem to have this idea that failed graduates pursue a careeer in teaching, turn up for babysitting at 9 leave at 3 and then have a jolly up on their holidays.

I'm not even sure why I am replying this, it's going to take a lot of work. So lets start with:

1. What amount is more than enough to live on?

'Wanting more is greedy'

2. What's your rationale?

If you do answer both of those questions, now answer this

3. Do you even know what the strike is about?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TSA

What if you take a job

Then
There is a year on year erosion of your pay
There are major changes to your conditions of service

That is the reality and your suggestion that people have taken a job and then are striking because they do not like what they have signed up for makes no sense in this context

Not only for teachers but for all of the public service workers who are striking on Thursday
Only noobs on tsr would say that a teachers strike is a bad thing. Talk to any sane schookid and a teachers strike would be just amazing brah, just amazing.

Dis is truth. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well the Army striking would be a mutiny, or dereliction of duty and has security concerns for the entire country as well as affecting foreign interest. The police are forbidden from striking for security reasons as well.

Teachers are not a security concern. They don't protest often or long enough that it would affect anyones education, so talking about banning teachers strikes is ridiculous.

Fundamentally if the government could get away with it they'd ban any particularly vocal group from striking because it would make their lives easier.
Original post by TenOfThem
What if you take a job

Then
There is a year on year erosion of your pay
There are major changes to your conditions of service

That is the reality and your suggestion that people have taken a job and then are striking because they do not like what they have signed up for makes no sense in this context

Not only for teachers but for all of the public service workers who are striking on Thursday

Honestly, I'd walk, make my voice heard with my feet.
Most pupils would benefit from a rest from their "teachers". Let them strike.
Original post by TSA
Disrupting students education.
Disrupting working lives of parents.

Striking purely for nuisance in my experience. If you don't like the pay of being a teacher, don't enter that line of work. It is that simple. Why should my education suffer because teachers are greedy?

At what point does it become 'greedy'? All the above arguments could just as easily be made if teachers all earned the wage of a third world factory worker and were striking for something marginally more. So where do you draw the line?
Original post by TSA
Honestly, I'd walk, make my voice heard with my feet.

Yep, because en masse resignations would obviously be far less disruptive than a day's strike?
Original post by TSA
Disrupting students education.
Disrupting working lives of parents.

Striking purely for nuisance in my experience. If you don't like the pay of being a teacher, don't enter that line of work. It is that simple. Why should my education suffer because teachers are greedy?

ouch!
While I have never strike I do sympathise with those that decide to do it. There are many other reasons, besides pay, for which teachers decide to strike.
To be honest, if you give anyone a reason to strike they will take it, be it teachers, emergency services or binmen. Any change to someone's normality gives them reason to lash out, and I think teachers will probably strike against the ban on strikes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Being on placement for two weeks at a secondary school,I have had a glimpse of the sheer amount of work that teachers do in school. Some come in as early as 7 and leave at 5(No, teachers do not leave with the pupils when school ends). Not to mention the hours they do outside of work, endless meetings and some of teachers explained how experienced teachers should receive more pay for their experience as their quality is much higher which they do not currently receive. Teachers here in the UK are so undervalued and disrespected it is disgusting, yes a minority of teachers are horrific but the majority of teachers are great and are just trying to do their best for the children and the government seems to be constantly undermining them and increasing the workload. I don't think that teachers take striking lightly but they do it in desperation to e heard and noticed and they SHOULD NOT be banned from striking.
Yes teachers should definitely be allowed to strike. Unless you've done it, you cannot understand the sheer amount of work.

Work out an NQT salary (~£21800/year) at 60hrs per week (conservative estimate, especially with the work in the holidays), for 45 weeks a year (taking off weeks for holiday, but adding extra for holiday pay and bank holidays), I estimate that an NQT gets paid £8.07/hr (before deductions). And that is in a graduate/post graduate qualified job. Not to mention the constant changes being implemented by the government that are ill-thought out, such as performance related pay, the new curriculum and the increased pension contributions.
Reply 58
Original post by TSA
Of course it's an issue of greed. If you are being paid more than minimum wage it's more than enough money to buy the necessities and live.

Where do you draw the line one day of strikes okay? Two? One week? One month? There is no need to cause unnecessary disruption due to greed.

Yes you can live very comfortably on that outside of London when you do not have a family.

Why is that an argument? they don't strike more than a couple of days per year and the impact of that on a persons education is negligible.
Reply 59
Original post by ChickenMadness
A lot of the good teachers tend to ignore the strikes and carry on working. My Alevel maths teacher made a big fuss about us not telling anyone she was in school. Probably because the other teachers would be pissed off at her lol.

f*** off she is not any better of a teacher for coming into work that day.
I realise how that sounds but it is true :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending