The Student Room Group

I just graduated with a degree in Viking Studies, AMA (ask me anything)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Messalina
There used to be 7 but they didn't fill them all, it always used to be people who didn't meet the history grade requirements who would try and transfer upon arriving. More recently they lowered the amount of places and expected a personal statement which was clearly aimed towards viking studies rather than just history in general. There were only 3 people in my year, 3 in the year above, 4 in the year below.

Must've helped a lot though, as the teaching would be focused on you a lot more than if there were, say, 200 students.

Well done for graduating :hugs:

And I love your sig, by the way :yep:
English.

I can read old English, middle English and old Norse though.

Jelous.

Im studying Old England at the moment but am finding it hard without access to serious academic resources , I am essentially working from Beowulf and a vocabulary dictionary any hints or advice?
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
What do you think did my damage to your future career; Viking Studies or the University of Nottingham?

You what mate? :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Neuth
Must've helped a lot though, as the teaching would be focused on you a lot more than if there were, say, 200 students.

Well done for graduating :hugs:

And I love your sig, by the way :yep:

Haha there were always 200 students, we did modules along with the rest of history, arch or english. If anything half the time the teachers had no idea of our existence and didn't take into account that we hadn't done the pre-requisites that the pure students had. It was more difficult imo. Our personal tutor was beast though, she was a German lady with a real fire for Viking knowledge, very good indeed.

Glad you like the sig, I roll my eyes so much on tsr that I felt it necessary :biggrin:
Reply 44
Favourite Viking is a difficult one, off the top of my head I'd have to say Ragnar Lodbrok. He was hardcore to the death. I'd love to know more about the women of Viking times, because they were pretty cool too, but not much is written about them. In Norse mythology my favourite is Thor, because of the story where he gets dressed up as a bride :smile:

One of my faves too! I love Thor.

Were you taught by Judith Jesch? What was she like?

[I didn't study Viking Studies - it never would have occurred to me sadly - but I took Old Norse, Old English and Germanic Myth and Legend as part of my English degree and I ruddy loved them!]
Reply 45
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Jelous.

Im studying Old England at the moment but am finding it hard without access to serious academic resources , I am essentially working from Beowulf and a vocabulary dictionary any hints or advice?

I found old english very difficult, what worked for me was getting really acquainted with middle english and then old english came easier. If you have any knowledge of german it may help too. I got a lot of help from tutors when it came to the language, really all you can do is practise and practise. Do you have any verb tables etc, that can help?
Reply 46
Original post by Jelkin
One of my faves too! I love Thor.

Were you taught by Judith Jesch? What was she like?

[I didn't study Viking Studies - it never would have occurred to me sadly - but I took Old Norse, Old English and Germanic Myth and Legend as part of my English degree and I ruddy loved them!]

Yeah I had Judith, she was awesome! Dr Shafer and Dr Lee were hardcore too. Not a Cavill fan.... when did you graduate?
Undergraduate, it's a 3 year degree but because of health reasons it took me 4 years.

I got many books out of the library, didn't quench my Viking thirst :wink:

As an interdisciplinary degree it made me good at multitasking and looking at things from different angles. Archaeology gave me knowledge of excavating and physical remains, history was good at analysing written sources and different points of view, and on the English side I know a hell of a lot about English place names, and am relatively good at understanding middle english, old english and old norse.

For the moment I'm working in a salaried charity job that I enjoy, I don't know what the future holds though. I'd love something that involves Vikings but I know how unlikely that is. I'll be happy with anything that pays a good salary really :smile:

The go-to Viking fact is that they didn't have horns on their helmets, it was all made up by the Victorians for opera. They had horns for drinking, but horned helmets were not practical in battle whatsoever :smile:

well done on your employment success but I don't really find that fact interesting. Do you admire and contrast the human development, that have taken place over the last thousand years since the Viking world. If so, what things do you think an average Briton from our period going back to the Viking era would have trouble copping with?
Reply 48
Original post by WitnessMO
well done on your employment success but I don't really find that fact interesting. Do you admire and contrast the human development, that have taken place over the last thousand years since the Viking world. If so, what things do you think an average Briton from our period going back to the Viking era would have trouble copping with?

Well sorry, I'm not great at judging what complete strangers will find interesting. Look up the blood eagle if you want something I find interesting...

The human development is certainly interesting, I would suggest that a vast amount of modern life has changed thanks to the Norman invasion though, which was after the Viking period. If that hadn't happened things would be very different.

I think the violence and difficulty of everyday life would be hard to cope with. That and no basic healthcare. Otherwise the lifestyle back then was worlds away from our lives now, we'd all find it hard.
What career do you hope to go into?
Reply 50
Original post by C'est la vie :P
What career do you hope to go into?

At the moment I'm working for a charity, but in the long term I'm not really sure. I want to be based in London, I'd like something that's office based and pays well, and having done my fair share of pub work I'd like monday-friday daytime work! Otherwise I'm very open minded :smile:
At the moment I'm working for a charity, but in the long term I'm not really sure. I want to be based in London, I'd like something that's office based and pays well, and having done my fair share of pub work I'd like monday-friday daytime work! Otherwise I'm very open minded :smile:

Your degree sound like sooo much fun :biggrin:
Reply 52
Your degree sound like sooo much fun :biggrin:

Thanks, it was! Also I know way too much about Vikings for my own good :tongue:
Thanks, it was! Also I know way too much about Vikings for my own good :tongue:

Do you want a job where you'll be using your degree or not? Sorry if that sounded rude.
Reply 54
Do you want a job where you'll be using your degree or not? Sorry if that sounded rude.

Unless I went down the academic route (masters, PHD, further) then I won't get a job which requires Viking knowledge. I always knew that, and I'm fine with it. I don't want to be a lecturer.

However my degree taught me many interdisciplinary skills which will make me more employable, so if I get into a graduate job I will probably be using my degree. :smile:
No, I have a degree in Viking Studies, no parody there sonny jim.

Doesn't seem like a waste since I'm already in a 22k starting salary position in a job I like. BTW took me 4 years, not 3. You were saying about no chance of good employability...?

Plus bonus if you bring back enough plunder
Reply 56
Original post by scrotgrot
Plus bonus if you bring back enough plunder

I do my best but the plunder isn't great these days. When you stick a big old axe in a blokes head and steal his booty the police are always on your tail before you get back to your ship, it's a hard life
Reply 57
Congrats, Good to see you study something you like and its even better that you can show the clowns on here that it is possible to succeed with what "They" (Not me, I believe all courses are good) perceive as a "non academic degree" :smile:

Also congrats on the job :smile:
What do people say to you when you tell them of your degree?
Original post by Marky Mark

How does it feel that you wasted 3 (?) years of your life with absolutely no chance of good employ ability?

People do Media Studies and still get jobs, I'm sure Viking Studies will be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending