The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1-2 or M1-2?

Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to take the Mechanics route or the Further Pure route for my A-level Maths. Further Pure sounds very interesting, but I'm worried about it being too hard for me (I need at least a B overall). I'm also doing Physics so the mechanics in that may help me with M1 and M2, but I find it very boring. I also tend to suck at taking exams, so could probably do with taking the one that is less likely to be full of catch-you-out questions.

Anyone have any opinions that may help me decide?
Original post by jf1994
Hi, I'm trying to decide whether to take the Mechanics route or the Further Pure route for my A-level Maths. Further Pure sounds very interesting, but I'm worried about it being too hard for me (I need at least a B overall). I'm also doing Physics so the mechanics in that may help me with M1 and M2, but I find it very boring. I also tend to suck at taking exams, so could probably do with taking the one that is less likely to be full of catch-you-out questions.

Anyone have any opinions that may help me decide?

I've only taken FP1 and M1, but I wouldn't say that the FP route is necessarily "harder". I'd say that M1 is easily as hard as FP1. I don't think that physics will help you a lot with M1 because the mechanics is M1 is much more advanced than the stuff you do in physics. In terms of catch-you-out questions, M1 is probably worse.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I've only taken FP1 and M1, but I wouldn't say that the FP route is necessarily "harder". I'd say that M1 is easily as hard as FP1. I don't think that physics will help you a lot with M1 because the mechanics is M1 is much more advanced than the stuff you do in physics. In terms of catch-you-out questions, M1 is probably worse.

Thanks, I guess I'll probably take FP then, I think I'll find it much easier to get involved because it seems much more interesting :smile:
Original post by jf1994
Thanks, I guess I'll probably take FP then, I think I'll find it much easier to get involved because it seems much more interesting :smile:

I definitely agree!

Quick Reply

Latest