The Student Room Group

What to do if you fail all GCSE's??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heyoka
ah sorry i didnt notice you werent the OP :colondollar: hmm thats a tough one, because if you can get a A in history doesnt that mean you would be able to pass english? since english and history would go hand in hand, if you can write well you should be able to write well in both history and english, most colleges/sixthforms want the student to have passed maths and english, uni's also ask for a standard of C for both maths and english.

i guess BTEC's would be looked down upon by universities but as long as your going into a course similar or the same as the BTEC your doing and mabye throw in some experience if your college offers a placement then they should still accept the student.

If you dont mind me asking are you an A level student or...?:smile:
Reply 21
Original post by German123
I dont wont to do BTECS as that will just put me at a disadvantage when applying to unis etc.

if someone gets an A in History or RS GCSE it does not mean they will/would be able to pass english GCSE-some people experienced this

fair enough dont do a BTEC then there just useful if you dont get the grades at GCSE, i guess people are diffrent in their strengths but i honestly dont know how you can get an A in history but not pass english, history is english with facts. Tho depending on what college you go too, you could redo your english gcse and then do history in one year to get the alevel.
Reply 22
If you dont mind me asking are you an A level student or...?:smile:

just finished my A levels about to start university.
Original post by heyoka
just finished my A levels about to start university.

cool. What A levels did you do?
Original post by heyoka
fair enough dont do a BTEC then there just useful if you dont get the grades at GCSE, i guess people are diffrent in their strengths but i honestly dont know how you can get an A in history but not pass english, history is english with facts. Tho depending on what college you go too, you could redo your english gcse and then do history in one year to get the alevel.

yeah. People these days say that if you dont get the grades(GCSES and A levels) it means you have failed life which is not true as there are tons of people out there with rubbish/no qualifications who get jobs unlike the people who graduated with a uni degree.

I dont really understand the point of English really as if people can understand me/what i am trying to say then is that not ok?

if a person does not pass their English GCSE(Gets a C or above) does that mean they will not cope in a essay based subject at A level? surley the answer is not a yes as people choose the subs they like at A level....?
Reply 25
cool. What A levels did you do?

history, ict, art and graphics, droped history after first year tho since i got a D in it.
Original post by heyoka

I dont understand why certain secondary schools encaurage/promote BTECS when they clearly know they are useless when applying to uni and in some colleges sixthforms they are overlooked and dont count for anything.
Original post by heyoka
history, ict, art and graphics, droped history after first year tho since i got a D in it.

cool. what do you want to study at uni?:smile:
Reply 28
yeah. People these days say that if you dont get the grades(GCSES and A levels) it means you have failed life which is not true as there are tons of people out there with rubbish/no qualifications who get jobs unlike the people who graduated with a uni degree.

I dont really understand the point of English really as if people can understand me/what i am trying to say then is that not ok?

if a person does not pass their English GCSE(Gets a C or above) does that mean they will not cope in a essay based subject at A level? surley the answer is not a yes as people choose the subs they like at A level....?

also even if you fail GCSE or Alevel there are always other options for you to be able to move onto the next stage of education or even to get you a better job things like apprenticeships.

hahaha that is true about the english.

no i think if you fail english GCSE and do a essay based subject you wont struggle when doing history i may have got a D but that was only because i wasnt learning the facts and wasnt focusing on the english, if you focus mainly on the bare minimum facts then my teacher would tell me that i could pass, the english to go with it is what will give you the A, since you got a A at GCSE i dont see much of a problem here, although alevel is a step up from GCSE and is harder.
Reply 29
I dont understand why certain secondary schools encaurage/promote BTECS when they clearly know they are useless when applying to uni and in some colleges sixthforms they are overlooked and dont count for anything.

i dont know about them promoting BTEC's i only ever got GCSE's shoved in my face in highschool although they did make me do a BTEC in year 9 which did nothing, i think they only promote them if your not doing so well, because if you go to college they can have better reviews mabye?
Reply 30
cool. what do you want to study at uni?:smile:

games design and development, going to college? what subjects are you looking to do? ... if you dont mind me asking :smile:
Original post by heyoka
also even if you fail GCSE or Alevel there are always other options for you to be able to move onto the next stage of education or even to get you a better job things like apprenticeships.

hahaha that is true about the english.

no i think if you fail english GCSE and do a essay based subject you wont struggle when doing history i may have got a D but that was only because i wasnt learning the facts and wasnt focusing on the english, if you focus mainly on the bare minimum facts then my teacher would tell me that i could pass, the english to go with it is what will give you the A, since you got a A at GCSE i dont see much of a problem here, although alevel is a step up from GCSE and is harder.

A D grade at A level is a pass so you should be happy that you tried your best. I am just hoping for Good GCSE grades as i dont want to end up doing BTECS as i want to go uni etc.:smile:
Original post by heyoka
games design and development, going to college? what subjects are you looking to do? ... if you dont mind me asking :smile:

Sociology,psychology not sure of the other two:smile:
Doing a BTEC doesn't mean you can't go to uni, as I've done one and got a conditional offer, and also if you get D's and E's, you won't exactly be able to choose much what you would do unless re-sat.

Good luck anyway, try your best in getting A*-C, especially maths and English (also science tbh)
Reply 34
A D grade at A level is a pass so you should be happy that you tried your best. I am just hoping for Good GCSE grades as i dont want to end up doing BTECS as i want to go uni etc.:smile:

i am happy! i was stupid and didnt really put effort into history, so a D really isnt that bad i did well in the other subjects tho, so im not worried about my results day,i hope you get the GCSE's you want! :biggrin: i was going to do a BTEC but then went against it so i feel you need to not want to do one.
Reply 35
Sociology,psychology not sure of the other two:smile:

i dont know much about sociology but ive seen my friends doing phychology work and my friends love the subject, although there are loads of little booklets to learn i think my friend said 14 booklets first year or something, so i also wish you luck for that too!
Original post by heyoka
i dont know much about sociology but ive seen my friends doing phychology work and my friends love the subject, although there are loads of little booklets to learn i think my friend said 14 booklets first year or something, so i also wish you luck for that too!

Thanks . I just hope i get the grades as it is horrible having to resit.
Reply 37
Thanks . I just hope i get the grades as it is horrible having to resit.

yup it is a terror resiting.
Original post by heyoka
i am happy! i was stupid and didnt really put effort into history, so a D really isnt that bad i did well in the other subjects tho, so im not worried about my results day,i hope you get the GCSE's you want! :biggrin: i was going to do a BTEC but then went against it so i feel you need to not want to do one.

I dont really mind doing a BTEC but since i hear that some unis(not the rubbish ones) overlook them/look down upon those candidates so....you know....i am not 100% of what i want to do in the future but know that BTECS are not favoured everywhere so i rather do stuff that everybody recognises and dont look down upon.

BTECS are a different way of learning so i dont see why certain unis should look down at candidates who do them.
Original post by heyoka
yup it is a terror resiting.

Yeah and its embarassing as well. What i mean is that everybody moving on to their next stage of education(A lavels or whatever) and a person having to resit because they have failed.

Quick Reply

Latest