The Student Room Group

Maths question trig?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forevereuphoria
I still dont understand could you explain what you are talking about i.e why its tan? Put examples in

Okay, right. Let's start from the beginning.

What can you tell me about angles BDA and CAD? And can you give me the size of one of these angles?
How are you labelling the sides...
is the answer 90

The sides are labelled by their letters, so AC is the side between letters A and C

it can't be 90, the diagonals of a rectangle don't intersect at right angles, it would have to be a square for that to happen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Slowbro93
Okay, right. Let's start from the beginning.

What can you tell me about angles BDA and CAD? And can you give me the size of one of these angles?

They are all the same?
Can someone tell me the answer and as its a hw game im doing and i'll speak to my teacher tomorrow
They are all the same?

Yes, so now what is the angle? you have two lengths, how can you calculate it?

And no, we will not tell you the answer but we can assist you.
Yes, so now what is the angle? you have two lengths, how can you calculate it?

And no, we will not tell you the answer but we can assist you.

Times 14 and 18 ??? i dONT KNOW
Ok look at triangle B-A-D its a right angle triangle that has an area of half the square. Now look at the other information you are given the length C-D = 14cm and A-D = 18cm. What else can we see, we can see that the triangle the angle x is in is and equilateral triangle. Ok we need to use this information to find the the angle x. First you need to do some trigonometry to find the angle at B with in the triangle with the angle x.(its hard to describe without a drawing) . SOHCAHTOA right, so we need TOA because we know the opposite length and the adjacent length. Tan X = 18/14 . then answer divided by Tan and we have the angle B of the triangle B-A-D. Now that we have that and we also know that the angles within a triangle add up to 180. so the triangle with x in it has two angles that equal B and one that equals X. so the next calculation is 180-(B*2) and that will give you the angle X.
Times 14 and 18 ??? i dONT KNOW

Have you not done SOH CAH TOA?
Haa mymaths :biggrin:
15.4183541cm
(15.4cm to 3sf.)
Have you not done SOH CAH TOA?

could i do toa
and
18/14=0.28
then
tan-1(0.28)=
Image is attached
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi what part are you stuck on with this question. do you know how to start it?
Image is attached
Have a good read of this it will tell you how to do it,

Ok look at triangle B-A-D its a right angle triangle that has an area of half the square. Now look at the other information you are given the length C-D = 14cm and A-D = 18cm. What else can we see, we can see that the triangle the angle x is in is and equilateral triangle. Ok we need to use this information to find the the angle x. First you need to do some trigonometry to find the angle at B with in the triangle with the angle x.(its hard to describe without a drawing) . SOHCAHTOA right, so we need TOA because we know the opposite length and the adjacent length. Tan X = 18/14 . then answer divided by Tan and we have the angle B of the triangle B-A-D. Now that we have that and we also know that the angles within a triangle add up to 180. so the triangle with x in it has two angles that equal B and one that equals X. so the next calculation is 180-(B*2) and that will give you the angle X.
There's no image attached :frown:
could i do toa
and
18/14=0.28
then
tan-1(0.28)=

Thats right your half way there. thats the angle at B,

now all you have to do is 180 - (2*52.1) = X

Thats THE Answer!!! :smile:

The reason for this is because its an equilateral triangle
(edited 9 years ago)
Pythagoras theorem 18^2+14^2= AC^2
AC= sqroot520
AC/2 gives you DX and XC.

DX, XC = sqroot 130

Cosine Rule a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc Cos A

Let X be A
Therefore DC (14cm) will be a.
The other two sides are b and c.

Rearrange the cosine rule to make Cos A the subject.

Cos A = (b^2 + c^2 - a^2)/2bc

Enter in the figures we have so far.

Cos A = (sqroot130^2 + sqroot130^2 - 14^2)/2*sqroot130*sqroot130
Cos A = 64/260
A= ????

Therefore X is = ???? degrees.

EDIT: Oh right you guys not giving him the answer.
This is a longer method than the others but I find it easier.
(edited 9 years ago)
Image is attached

Are you sure you attached the images?
2*arctan(7/9)=75.7499673:smile:
Original post by spotify95
Yes there is.

I'll take a look.

There wasn't when I posted my response!

Quick Reply

Latest