The Student Room Group

Swiss Maturity

Any Swiss alumni willing to share their experience?

I would like to apply for Land Economy, has an average of 5.4/6, comments? predictions?

looking forward to reading from you!
Reply 1
Nice! I am also a swiss applicant also applying for LE! What college will you apply to?

With a 5.4 you should have a quite good chance of getting in. A usual offer is made with a 5.1:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/international/qualifications/switzerland.html
Reply 2
Original post by Pvdp
Nice! I am also a swiss applicant also applying for LE! What college will you apply to?

With a 5.4 you should have a quite good chance of getting in. A usual offer is made with a 5.1:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/international/qualifications/switzerland.html

Hi from Geneva

You are applying for 2015 entry-undergraduate as well ? What's your canton ?

Yes but they answered that they will chose the 3 subjects over 5.5........

Probably St John's and u?
Reply 3
Original post by jgva
Hi from Geneva

You are applying for 2015 entry-undergraduate as well ? What's your canton ?

Yes but they answered that they will chose the 3 subjects over 5.5........

Probably St John's and u?

Yep also 2015 undergrad!

I am from Basel-Land.

Hm my guess is that they will choose subjects like geography, maths, further maths, economy and/or other relevant subjects.

For sure Jesus! I attended the open days and I just fell in love with that college! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Pvdp
Yep also 2015 undergrad!

I am from Basel-Land.

Hm my guess is that they will choose subjects like geography, maths, further maths, economy and/or other relevant subjects.

For sure Jesus! I attended the open days and I just fell in love with that college! :smile:

have friends from Gymnasium Munchenstein actually :wink:

have you taken an English language qualification yet?

not a fan of of TSA myself but Jesus seems nice indeed

Would you mind share your grades/subjects taken?

lucky you for the visit haha
Reply 5
Original post by jgva
have friends from Gymnasium Munchenstein actually :wink:

have you taken an English language qualification yet?

not a fan of of TSA myself but Jesus seems nice indeed

Would you mind share your grades/subjects taken?

lucky you for the visit haha

As far as I know it is enough for swiss students to have a high grade in english for the maturity.

I am actually a big fan of TSA haha :biggrin: I looked at both St. Johns and Jesus but in the end I just fell for Jesus.

So my grades this year are:
Biology 5
Drawing/Arts 4.5 :s-smilie:
Physics 6

And my predicted grades are:
german 4.5 or 5
english 5.5
french 4.5 :s-smilie:
geography 5.5 or 6
chemistry 5
history 4.5 or 5
advanced sports 5 or 5.5
sports 5.5 or 6
maths 5.5 or 6
further maths/physics 5 or 5.5

What are your grades/subjects?

Btw. Where do you get help for the personal statement and the reference?
Reply 6
Original post by Pvdp
As far as I know it is enough for swiss students to have a high grade in english for the maturity.

I am actually a big fan of TSA haha :biggrin: I looked at both St. Johns and Jesus but in the end I just fell for Jesus.

So my grades this year are:
Biology 5
Drawing/Arts 4.5 :s-smilie:
Physics 6

And my predicted grades are:
german 4.5 or 5
english 5.5
french 4.5 :s-smilie:
geography 5.5 or 6
chemistry 5
history 4.5 or 5
advanced sports 5 or 5.5
sports 5.5 or 6
maths 5.5 or 6
further maths/physics 5 or 5.5

What are your grades/subjects?

Btw. Where do you get help for the personal statement and the reference?

How do you get the prediction? you just did like you got a 4.7 or 4.8 in German the school year 2013-2014 so you predict 4.5 or 5? Do you have the exact grades of last year? coz they answered me that they want transcript of achieved grades plus 2013-2014 ones

in 2013-2014 i got french 5.2
german 5.6
advanced maths 5.1
Bio 5
Phy 6
History 5.3
Geo 5.7
Philo 5.6
Gym 5.4
Eco/Law 5.7
English 5.5
Computer 4.8 :frown: plus 6 in music 6 in chemistry kinda irrelevant stuff what a pity....

got some cambridge alumni around and will definitely look on internet..... you know any commercial agents handling uni application in CH?
have you got a teacher chosen yet?
Reply 7
Original post by jgva
How do you get the prediction? you just did like you got a 4.7 or 4.8 in German the school year 2013-2014 so you predict 4.5 or 5? Do you have the exact grades of last year? coz they answered me that they want transcript of achieved grades plus 2013-2014 ones

in 2013-2014 i got french 5.2
german 5.6
advanced maths 5.1
Bio 5
Phy 6
History 5.3
Geo 5.7
Philo 5.6
Gym 5.4
Eco/Law 5.7
English 5.5
Computer 4.8 :frown: plus 6 in music 6 in chemistry kinda irrelevant stuff what a pity....

got some cambridge alumni around and will definitely look on internet..... you know any commercial agents handling uni application in CH?
have you got a teacher chosen yet?

The predictions are based on what the teachers told me are realistic grades. In some subjects I do not yet have the grade I want, in others I do. This is because I did not yet have a specific goal to work for. If I had known earlier that I wanted to apply to Cambridge then I would probably have achieved better grades this year. :/ (As you know for swiss unis you only need a 4)

Nope I do not know any commercial agents but I heard that usually these agents are wasted money...

Yep I choose a teacher! I am currently waiting for my school to register for UCAS... how about you, did you already chose one?
Reply 8
Original post by Pvdp
The predictions are based on what the teachers told me are realistic grades. In some subjects I do not yet have the grade I want, in others I do. This is because I did not yet have a specific goal to work for. If I had known earlier that I wanted to apply to Cambridge then I would probably have achieved better grades this year. :/ (As you know for swiss unis you only need a 4)

Nope I do not know any commercial agents but I heard that usually these agents are wasted money...

Yep I choose a teacher! I am currently waiting for my school to register for UCAS... how about you, did you already chose one?

Ok but apparently we can just apply individually without the school registering right? So where will you put the predicted grades? in the reference letter?

I have already one teacher more or less decided but apparently we should include quotes from other teachers as well :smile: know if there's any length limit for the reference letter?

what kind of extra curricular activities are you to include? are you just applying to cambridge or other uk unis as well?
Reply 9
Original post by jgva
Ok but apparently we can just apply individually without the school registering right? So where will you put the predicted grades? in the reference letter?

I have already one teacher more or less decided but apparently we should include quotes from other teachers as well :smile: know if there's any length limit for the reference letter?

what kind of extra curricular activities are you to include? are you just applying to cambridge or other uk unis as well?

Yes one can also register without a school.
I do not know where to put the grades, I did not look at the UCAS so far but I will.

Quotes from other teachers? Hmm did not hear that before and for the length I have no idea :biggrin: I have a lot of information lying around I have to check if there is anything about that.

Extra curricular activities are my strength :biggrin: I have a lot like for example: work experience in the real estate dep. of a major swiss bank, my own webdesign firm but also stuff like rowing, bitcoins etc. What about you?

I think I will only apply to Cambridge because it is the only university which has this college system (except for Oxford). If I do not make it in I will study at the university of Zurich.
Reply 10
ok that real estate dep. experience's really extraordinary haha family connection?

more into politics MUN, European Youth Parliament (EYP), working for an association helping students with study difficulties... others are less relevent.

well we still have sufficient time keep in touch :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by jgva
ok that real estate dep. experience's really extraordinary haha family connection?

That was actually a lot of luck and some networking :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi,
I am a student from the Geneva area who got in this year to read land economy and I start in 2 weeks time. I applied with the swiss maturity (gymnasial) and would be happy to share my experience with you ! Please feel free to ask any questions.
Good luck with your applications !
Reply 13
Original post by genf1
Hi, I am a student from the Geneva area who got in this year to read land economy and I start in 2 weeks time. I applied with the swiss maturity (gymnasial) and would be happy to share my experience with you ! Please feel free to ask any questions. Good luck with your applications !
So cool to find a swiss land economist!Did you apply via your school or as an individual? What grades did you achieve and what grades did you tell them you would achieve?Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending