The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE to Maths A-Level

Hi,
I'm wanting to do maths at a level next year i got a B in GCSE but i think i could of got an A if that means anything. Anyway i was wondering if anyone could recommend any topics/ units i could have a look at to make transition easier.
Thanks very much :biggrin:
Original post by AidanB98
Hi,
I'm wanting to do maths at a level next year i got a B in GCSE but i think i could of got an A if that means anything. Anyway i was wondering if anyone could recommend any topics/ units i could have a look at to make transition easier.

Have a look at C1, which is the first unit. The introduction to A Level maths is good since C1 is a very easy unit. If you find that you're struggling with C1, you definitely should not take Maths.
Original post by Chlorophile
Have a look at C1, which is the first unit. The introduction to A Level maths is good since C1 is a very easy unit. If you find that you're struggling with C1, you definitely should not take Maths.

C1 is easy but everyone finds it hard at first, even people in my class who got an A* struggled. But once we got the hang of C2 we found it easy, because C2 improves your C1.
Hi,

If you got a B you will probably find it quite hard but I would suggest that you polish up on your basic algebra such as algebraic fractions as most of the topics use algebra in some way. Also, I would suggest looking at some of the beginning C1 topics such as co-ordinate geometry and proof, which builds on stuff learnt at GCSE.

Good luck! To be honest AS maths is fine as long as you put the work in! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by ZeniB
C1 is easy but everyone finds it hard at first, even people in my class who got an A* struggled. But once we got the hang of C2 we found it easy, because C2 improves your C1.

Does everyone find it hard, really?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZeniB

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with that. Nobody had a problem with it in my maths class. It's even easier once you've done C2, but I still wouldn't call it hard when you first do it.
I got an A* at GCSE maths, then went to A level and i'm pretty lazy... (didn't revise for any GCSE)

When we started Core 1 a couple of weeks in we had a little test on basic algebra, I got an E....

I found maths really hard to start with, but it does get easier!

i've completed AS now and waiting for the results, but i'm pretty sure i got an A. Just make sure you work hard because if you don't it will just all show when you read the results in august, you can't really fake being good at A level maths you need to actually try.
Reply 7
Ok thanks very much guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

If you are really eager to do it, look at C1 over Summer and see how you find it.

Don't want to be harsh or anything, but from experience, those who got an or B at GCSE found it so hard that they ended up dropping it after AS because they came out with a C or D.
Learn FP3, if you can master it, you can do A-Level maths with ease.
Reply 10
Make sure you brush up on your GCSE knowledge before heading into college, that'll help you out loads
i found gcse maths harder than a-level maths/further maths. im not kidding.

i barely got an A* in gcse maths, but i averaged 94.8 in A-level Maths with A*. and im pretty sure i got A* in further maths with around a 95 average.
Reply 12
Ok advice taken guys going to order some revision books and revise previous GCSE maths :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest