The Student Room Group

Med school Do i need Chemistry/Biology confusion

I remember vaguely seeing that either Chemistry or Biology wasnt a necessity for med school cant remember which it was.

Do any of you know which one it was.

Thanks in advance and anticipation.
Reply 2
I don't think you need biology, and I think you might need chemistry.
Reply 3
You'll definitely need Chemistry, but not always Biology. Most med schools say they want you to have it (in at least an A), but some will say it's okay not to do it as long as you have Chemistry, and maybe Maths.

This link is super helpful! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Reply 4
Thank you i knew it was either chemistry or it was biology that isnt necessarily needed, i couldnt recall which it was and im planning my As levels and wanted to double check and luckily i did because i thought i needed biology not chemistry. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Stinkum
I don't think you need biology, and I think you might need chemistry.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by vickie89uk
I remember vaguely seeing that either Chemistry or Biology wasnt a necessity for med school cant remember which it was.

Do any of you know which one it was.

Thanks in advance and anticipation.

Take a look at the FAQs here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine_Forum_Guide_and_FAQs, specifically:

What subjects do I need to take?
At GCSE you should aim to take a breadth of academic subjects. The subjects which are most important for medical school are Biology, Chemistry, Physics (or the Double Science award), Mathematics and English Language.

At AS Level you should aim to take Chemistry, Biology and two other academic subjects. You do not need Mathematics to study medicine. Further Maths is usually not counted as an additional qualification alongside Mathematics. It is not advisable to study more than the standard four subjects as this will put strain on your ability to study effectively, and there is currently absolutely no benefit in having studied more.

At A2 Level you should aim to drop one subject at AS, and carry on three. You should continue Chemistry, Biology and one other academic subject. Again, you do not need Mathematics to study medicine. There is no need for the third A2 to be in a science subject, however certain medical schools do have a requirement for three sciences. A significant proportion of medical schools accept a third non-science A2. A small minority of medical schools give a slight preference to applicants who have studied a third, contrasting (non-science) subject at A2. Do not study more than the standard three A2 - you will put strain on yourself and this may cause you to drop a grade and thus miss your medicine offer. There is no advantage to studying more than the standard three.

You can discuss what subjects to take on the TSR Medicine forum "What should I take?" thread, click here for more information.

For more detail check this page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Reply 7

Oh thank you i was going to do maths at A level im not a fan of maths or english to be fair, not sure entirely what to take as im not sure what they accept

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Oh thank you i was going to do maths at A level im not a fan of maths or english to be fair, not sure entirely what to take as im not sure what they accept

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take a look at the second link (this one) it lists all the medical schools and what they expect you to take. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Beska
Take a look at the second link (this one) it lists all the medical schools and what they expect you to take. :smile:

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Beska

Bristol and southampton are my main focus they say bio and one other lab studies im not sure what else could be lab based no maths and i beed fojr at A level and 3 at A2 confused :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Southampton you need biology and chemistry thats my home town (hence my aim) im thinking english but beed another one unless i do an access course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Bristol and southampton are my main focus they say bio and one other lab studies im not sure what else could be lab based no maths and i beed fojr at A level and 3 at A2 confused :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

On the link provided, Bristol says A2 Chemistry (NOT Biology) and one other lab-based science at A2. That would be Biology or Physics.
Southampton says A2 Biology AND A2 Chemistry.

'At A-level' means at A2, just by the by. AS-level is the first half, A2 is the second half, and 'A-level' refers to the combo.
Reply 13
Ok do but normally need one As that you drop before A2 and then 3 full A levels. So if i take biology, chemistry what others do they accept whats general studies.

Thank You so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Ronove
On the link provided, Bristol says A2 Chemistry (NOT Biology) and one other lab-based science at A2. That would be Biology or Physics.
Southampton says A2 Biology AND A2 Chemistry.

'At A-level' means at A2, just by the by. AS-level is the first half, A2 is the second half, and 'A-level' refers to the combo.

Ok do but normally need one As that you drop before A2 and then 3 full A levels. So if i take biology, chemistry what others do they accept whats general studies.

Thank You so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank You so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

General Studies never forms part of an offer, but the grade is considered if you miss an offer. For instance, if you got AAB at A2 and an A in General Studies, you may still be accepted.
Reply 16

Thank You so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will accept most subjects. There's a range to choose from but it will be limited by where it is you're taking your A-levels. Are you going to be doing them through a particular institution/organisation or in a particular format (distance learning? full-time lessons?)?

General Studies is something akin to the A-level equivalent of a general knowledge test, as far as I am aware. You pretty much can't use it for any course at a reputable university. Not something to worry about.
Reply 17
Original post by davidthomasjnr
General Studies never forms part of an offer, but the grade is considered if you miss an offer. For instance, if you got AAB at A2 and an A in General Studies, you may still be accepted.

Source? That sounds like something one university may have said one time, but certainly not something that applies universally.
Reply 18
Original post by Ronove
They will accept most subjects. There's a range to choose from but it will be limited by where it is you're taking your A-levels. Are you going to be doing them through a particular institution/organisation or in a particular format (distance learning? full-time lessons?)?

General Studies is something akin to the A-level equivalent of a general knowledge test, as far as I am aware. You pretty much can't use it for any course at a reputable university. Not something to worry about.

I plan to take them at different colleges at night courses throughout my city as im an adult i dont have access to full time study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending