The Student Room Group

Which is the most difficult IB subject?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RayApparently
Obviously it depends on the teachers and how much you enjoy a subject etc.

But I was just wondering what people thought/had heard.

Tok's a bitch tho, haven't got above a C all year - no matter how hard i try
Original post by NancyRoseC
Tok's a bitch tho, haven't got above a C all year - no matter how hard i try

I guess it really depends on people.
I got an A without understanding my TOK essay -_-
it's such a subjective an ambigous subject anyway
Original post by monsieurmadeline2041
I guess it really depends on people.
I got an A without understanding my TOK essay -_-
it's such a subjective an ambigous subject anyway

I was getting As all through my TOK course and then got a C in the final thing, it's such a crapshoot, they need to revamp it majorly
Original post by Calllu-m
I was getting As all through my TOK course and then got a C in the final thing, it's such a crapshoot, they need to revamp it majorly

could be tht, or maybe ur teacher's been overgrading u
my teacher have always said that mine was good, but she never give us grades and stuff. she only advices us on what needs to be repaired. so i researched and peer review-ed it often
could be tht, or maybe ur teacher's been overgrading u
my teacher have always said that mine was good, but she never give us grades and stuff. she only advices us on what needs to be repaired. so i researched and peer review-ed it often

Seeing as everyone else met their predictions, and our TOK teachers got 23 years of IB experience, I doubt it.
Original post by Calllu-m
Seeing as everyone else met their predictions, and our TOK teachers got 23 years of IB experience, I doubt it.

in that case, i think maybe u should consider a remark?
in that case, i think maybe u should consider a remark?

I finished my exams in 2013. But late for that. Plus I exceeded what I needed so what's the point
Original post by anniechan514
The hardest HL would have to be:
History, Chemistry, Physics and Maths.

I think most people find math HL hard as there are just SOOO much to cover + those extra options you just don't have time to cover all of it and then the questions aren't easy given the limited time you have to study everything.

I personally took Chemistry, Maths and Economics HL and got 7,6,7 respectively in these subjects - so you can ask me about Chemistry and Maths if you want. Just pm me :smile:

How difficult is it to get a 7 in maths? Because I consider myself very good at maths, but people tell me that its harder to get a 7 in IB than an A* in maths and further maths at A level. Would you say this is true?

Also would you say there is much a difference between SL and HL Economics?

Thanks
Original post by abigail706
How difficult is it to get a 7 in maths? Because I consider myself very good at maths, but people tell me that its harder to get a 7 in IB than an A* in maths and further maths at A level. Would you say this is true?

Thanks

I used to consider myself to be quite adept in maths but everything changed since I entered my last year of high school.

As I have said, it's not the materials that makes math HL hard - it's the quantity of new materials that you must learn within the 2 years that makes math HL hard and being good at maths means understanding and being able to master your skills for the new concepts and that requires time. Because you only have 2 years (remember you still have to go through 1 of the options if you're doing math HL) you really don't have time to master everything in time and hence that is why everyone thinks it's hard due to the fact there is just insufficient time for them to become skilled with these new concepts. But I'm sure if you take some time off from your free time to actually self-study/practice these new concepts everyday then I have confidence you'll be fine. (NOTE. this does not apply if you're that type of person who EASILY understands new concept and can remember it until your math exam)

As for Economics, the difference isn't that huge except for the fact for Economics HL you have to learn Theory of the Firms which, in my opinion, is like a whole new chapter for Microeconomics and the fact you have to do a math paper 3 for Econ HL but it's not that difficult so I think you should be fine!

I hope this helps!

:smile: and Good luck!
Interesting discussion! The only objective way to measure hard is to look at the statistics and see which subjects students struggle to get good marks in. With this in mind, looking at the November 2013 session, the hardest subjects (lowest percentage of Level 7s) were:

Group 1 - German
Group 2 - Portuguese SL
Group 3 - Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS), closely followed by History
Group 4 - Design Technology
Group 5 - Computer Science SL (not HL Maths!)
Group 6 - Film

There are all sorts of ways to reinterpret / massage these figures, and they change from exam session to exam session, but this makes for some interesting reading!
Original post by ozymandias24
Interesting discussion! The only objective way to measure hard is to look at the statistics and see which subjects students struggle to get good marks in. With this in mind, looking at the November 2013 session, the hardest subjects (lowest percentage of Level 7s) were:

Group 1 - German
Group 2 - Portuguese SL
Group 3 - Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS), closely followed by History
Group 4 - Design Technology
Group 5 - Computer Science SL (not HL Maths!)
Group 6 - Film

There are all sorts of ways to reinterpret / massage these figures, and they change from exam session to exam session, but this makes for some interesting reading!

Those aren't really the most academic subjects though. All respect to them but I think those figures are more reflective of the students that pick them rather than the difficulty of the subjects.
HL Math, HL physics, HL chem. Only because exam questions will require pure application rather than factual recall.
That's one interpretation. Another is that smaller sample groups (less popular subjects) are more likely to generate anomalous results, hence weird subjects like ITGS showing up. Another could be that it's easier to teach niche subjects poorly, as there is less training available for teachers, there are less materials out there and less other teachers to collaborate with in the IB world.

Comparing across the subject groups is pretty difficult, but within them is somewhat easier, especially if you have a teacher who covers more than one subject. Within my department (Group 3) there is general consensus that History is a lot harder than Economics, for example.
Original post by abigail706

Thanks

In Microeconomics you'll basically have double the material in HL than in SL, but mind you, the Theory of the Firm section is what makes micro interesting in my opinion. In the other three topics you have some extra chapters here and there, but nothing major. Finally, in Paper 3 you have to do basic math- if you know the theory you should be fine.

Good luck!
HL maths
HL Economics, HL physics and HL math.
Maths HL is obviously very difficult, but I think Chem HL is underestimated.
English Lit HL may not be as hard in terms of content, but marking is notoriously unpredictable, so it's very hard to get a 7.
I also think history is disproportionally difficult for an SL subject.
Original post by tasfiajashim
HL Economics, HL physics and HL math.

I was going to pick those until I realised how much work HL Maths would actually entail haha
Original post by RayApparently
I was going to pick those until I realised how much work HL Maths would actually entail haha

It just really depends on an individual's ability. I would rather take HL math over Econ anyway so yeah :P
But good luck with your choices!
I just started the HL math course this week, i got an A in the IGCSE exams, how hard is it? Is it possible to acheive a 5 or is it unrealistic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending