The Student Room Group

Ib subjects for law

Hi all, I will be starting my first term of ib in a weeks time and as wondering if the subjects I have chosen would be suitable for me to pursue a law degree in the UK.

HL :
English Lang Lit
Psychology
Biology

SL:
Math AI
Visual Arts
Mandarin Ab Intio

Also how difficult is visual arts for a person who has no prior experience in any art subject as visual arts was not my preferred subject choice.
Original post by gordoncheers
Hi all, I will be starting my first term of ib in a weeks time and as wondering if the subjects I have chosen would be suitable for me to pursue a law degree in the UK.

HL :
English Lang Lit
Psychology
Biology

SL:
Math AI
Visual Arts
Mandarin Ab Intio

Also how difficult is visual arts for a person who has no prior experience in any art subject as visual arts was not my preferred subject choice.

Hi there!

For your HL subjects, I would recommend taking History, just because it's an essay writing subject and those tend to be favoured; almost all law students that I know applying to the UK take HL History. If you school doesn't offer History, you could try taking Political Science or something along those lines?

Your SLs don't matter as much, so I wouldn't worry too much about those. I don't take Visual Arts, but I honestly would not recommend taking it, if you have no prior experience or interest. Art is one of the most difficult subjects to score a 7 in just because of how subjective it is. Moreover, it is a LOT of work, especially around exhibition time. A lot of my friends who took Art struggled to focus on their other subjects (and if you're taking subjects like Biology and Psychology which require a ton of memorization, it could be difficult to allocate your time efficiently). For people who don't like/have experience in the subject, it could be very difficult to find motivation or inspiration for your artwork.

Maybe you could take up HL History and move Biology to SL?

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
I agree that Visual Arts will be rather challenging for someone without prior experience or a love for the arts. It is not a 'filler' subject. The subject is extremely time-consuming near final exam time. You don't want to be still doing coursework when everyone is hunkering down to study for final exams.

Of your 3 HLs, a HL English is certainly a "must" for Law in the UK, so you are good. Doing HL History is typical of applying to Law too but it is not 100% essential. Never take a subject that you have no confidence scoring well. History is one of the hardest subjects to score a 6 or 7. With law, you need a minimum of 666 (you will not likely get an offer) from all your HLs. I have friends who didn't take HL History but HL Econs and HL Global Politics, and they had offers from Durham, QMUL, Warwick and KCL.

In the UK, LNAT score is heavily weighted in the universities' assessment, unless it is a university that does not require the LNAT (maybe you want to apply to some LNAT universities and some non-LNAT universities as your safeties). You can google for the various minimum LNAT score that each of your university choices require, and hope to do well in LNAT and obtain above the threshold. A friend was rejected by UCL because her LNAT score was not as competitive.

I don't think law schools have any minimum math subject requirement but SL Math AI is seen as a weak subject. If possible, take SL Math AA.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gordoncheers

HL :
English Lang Lit
Psychology
Biology

SL:
Math AI
Visual Arts
Mandarin Ab Intio

1. If you don’t need HL biology don’t take it. I’d recommend geography or glopol if you’re looking for an easier subject to fill the third HL. History HL would be probably the best but if you don’t want to take it that’s fair. I want to do law and took econ and geo instead of history.
2. Visual arts is not an easy subject and I would also advise against taking it if you don’t want to pursue an arts degree. I’d swap it out with SL biology. Alternatively you could do ESS if your school offers it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending