The Student Room Group

'Straight white guy festival' causes controversy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Truths
Right. Yet, that doesn't change the fact that white history, whiteness in general is celebrated everyday. Which is the point.

It's not a compulsory part of our curriculum. From KS1 to KS3, I was only taught the history of Europe, and had black history once a month every year. By KS4, they scrapped Black History because it wasn't a compulsory part of the curriculum. But if we took up GCSE History, we may have had the opportunity to learn about American & Southern Asia History. But the point stands that the focus is Great Britain. The documentary argument is silly. I am talking about on going dramas that glamorize European History and make it entertaining. Not the odd documentary that is made once a year, that 9/10 exploits the more darker and controversial parts of ethnic culture, like "LadyBoys". That's not celebration.

Because you live in northern europe..... ... in britain
:ahee:
Original post by ApeMob
In the US no it is not. Jog on.

No they aren't. Men and women in the same position earn the same
Reply 282
Original post by ChickenMadness
I don't want to get into a big debate about it.

But basically every campaign they take issues that affect both men and women but they portray it as though it only happens to women and that the men are the perpertrators in each case. Feminist organisations are always trying to twist statistics to make it look as though men don't face any problems while women do. When in reality men are either affected equally or more by the issues they are trying to portray as female only. They do also have a lot of political power in the country and have been able to block a lot of attempts at changing laws that discriminate against men. (can't remember which organisation it is that has been doing that atm though).

Heres some examples of the propaganda they use though.

'When did he stop treating you like a princess?'

stuff like that. It's raising awareness of domestic abuse but it ignores that men can be victims as well. It's like that in every campaign for domestic abuse.

http://www.theviolencestopshere.ca/dbtg.php
"Don't be that guy"

Stuff like that. They never release any gender neutral campaigns that focus on helping men AND women. It's always women being the victim and men being the problem. When in reality both men and women can fall victim to these crimes.

I do have A LOT of american friends you know from different parts of the country. I've visited america as well and travelled around with them. just fyi. And I follow the whole feminist movement and anti feminist movements and have done quite a lot of research on them as well as the history because I find it interesting. So my opinion isn't based on just what a couple of my friends have said lol.

But this is getting off the subject of the thread now tbh.

Don't run away, no it's not. It's very relevant. And I have American friends as well as experience. Not saying you're not credible but it's just not as credible as someone who lives here. Sorry. I'd never try to state any dogmas about your country.

If you feel it is getting OT ad that is your way of subversively evading the debate then nevermind. But all I can say is, it is a bigger issue and in a democratic country majority rules. It is sickening but that's how it is. No one is vilifying or victimizing anyone. The bigger anything gets more attention because it has more active supporters. There are no active supporters of male abuse and that is the individual's fault not the country mentality or the government. The government here is secondary to the people; if the people don't mention it the government takes no issue. If the people riot and fight for it, the gov concedes. That's just how it is in a democratic country.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
So it's a sympathy contest is it? I also believe you'd only recognize unfairness if it's aimed at a minority group, theres a difference when you only see racism in one fashion, the popularized fashion, rather than a total viewpoint. So noboy can trust what you say. No difference to somebody saying they're against favouritism but can only see it if that favouritism works against one individual, themselves. So people like you can't be trusted on that one because of your consistent double standards, your point was utterly relevant and justifys my point in the middle of this response.

Nobody has made minorities feel ashamed of themselves, nobody.

What makes you think the part in bold? Anyone can suffer because of their race, sexulity, gender, etc, but some people suffer more than others, and those people are not straight white men.

Although given that assumption you've made about me a discussion with you probably won't get very far.
Reply 284
Original post by TheAnusFiles
No they aren't. Men and women in the same position earn the same

Bye now. Can't be bothered to argue with a wall.
Original post by ApeMob
Bye now. Can't be bothered to argue with a wall.

What you mean is that you haven't got an answer to being called out on the complete dross you spout.
Reply 286
What you mean is that you haven't got an answer to being called out on the complete dross you spout.

Look around tubby. I am very active in this thread you just don't matter.
Original post by Lucy_Noble
If you feel like you are being made to feel ashamed because of your race/cultural identity then I can't convince you otherwise, but you have to recognise that legally LGBT/ethnic minorities have been prosecuted against on such a scale that the 'British' you speak of never have and probably never will.

Whats that got to do with pride? So everyvody is irrelveant because they haven't suffered like others in your eyes? They should be made to feel guilty or like they're not as worthy? You're snorthworthy. You have no basis so bring up stuff that happened years ago, that no Black person experienced.

Slavery in your mind is probably over because whites don't buy
them anymore haha. If Whites started buying slaves again, you'd be speaking of opression toward blacks, which sums you up.

You also said minorities,You're talking about an American and German phase of history of Blacks & Jews, mot every other nationality in the UK did. But you bunch them all together Anyway.
Original post by ApeMob
Look around tubby. I am very active in this thread you just don't matter.

Why don't you refute me then if you have an answer. And this is a forum on the internet, not the united nations
Reply 289
Why don't you refute me then if you have an answer. And this is a forum on the internet, not the united nations

I didn't "refute" because all you did was say it is a lie. Then no substantial proof to back your counter. Duh!

Original post by Truths
You and I both were taught briefly about Egypt & Greece but as I have already pointed out, it's an insignificant part of the curriculum.

Ok and I don't disagree. And?

Our history curriculim is more of an example of "white history month being everyday", rather than white pride. So you have kinda missed the point. White pride is everyday, because white people and whiteness are celebrated in a variety of ways everyday. If you google image beauty, you will see white people mostly. If you see a black person in this search result, they will probably be lightskinned with a weave or they will have stereotypical European facial features because blackness isn't celebrated in the West. Kiss, Capital, Choice & BBC xtra were historically created to celebrate black/urban artists, and now they mostly cater to white artists. Police harass the young black youth, the oppression, the shaming and the degradation is a cause for the need of Pride. But the funniest part is, we don't even have black pride festivals in the UK, so why are you feeling so entitled?

To put it simply. Pride Festivals are for the oppressed, marginalized or unsung minority groups. If you don't get it now, you never will.

Lol, the fact that you put 'opressed'
And 'marginalized' in the same sentence then argued white people should 't have any festivals because they're white loool. You're what you preach...

Goodbye.
Bare in mind straight white guys have not had a history of intense oppression. While black/asian/native american people and gay people do.

I'm not saying it's right, but it's understandable why you'd be annoyed that they're dick-waving their straight white privilege. Try knowing that one of your ancestors could have potentially been shipped off to another continent, being forced to piss in tight spaces and surviving in conditions that somebody on deathrow doesn't even get, or that people who had the same sexual orientation as you were killed in cold blood over the years, burnt, castrated etc.

Also they used male as well because women have been oppressed over the years.

Let them have their festival, but it's taking the piss out of minorities and at risk groups.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ApeMob
I didn't "refute" because all you did was say it is a lie. Then no substantial proof to back your counter. Duh!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/01/no-women-don-t-make-less-money-than-men.html
Completely stupid. Have heterosexual white men ever been oppressed?

(For the male TSR trolls on the Society forum, this is a rhetorical question)
Reply 294

lmao that's all you got? A quick Google and a copy paste.

Again

And 'marginalized' in the same sentence then argued white people should 't have any festivals because they're white loool. You're what you preach...

Goodbye.

Yeh you totally got it the point.

Original post by ApeMob
lmao that's all you got? A quick Google and a copy paste.

Again

So answer me the question? If you were in the same job as me, in the same position would you earn less?
Original post by thechemistress
I swear this thread is a breeding ground for stupidity and racism both ways. I literally spent the last 15 minutes reading through this and I honestly cannot believe a Chinese person does not understand Chinese New Year and is trying to make it out to be similar to gay pride? The stupidity is overwhelming.

Anyways, back to the OP.
Sure, white straight males can celebrate their lack of discrimination (that is in comparison to most other groups) if they want, but I don't see why they feel the need to. Prides are supposed to be about opposing negative discrimination (which is why gay pride and black pride are a thing), not celebrating your privilege. It just seems slightly boastful- almost as if you're rubbing the fact that you are literally never discriminated against (excluding Tumblr which everybody knows is full of stupid little girls) in people's faces. It also negates the importance of other prides which are actually necessary. Just my two pence.

Waaiiiit. Someone with common sense and reason. This can't be.

Goodbye.

Ah Cryptoid. As per usual the point goes directly over your head. I'd expect nothing less.
Original post by ApeMob
Don't run away, no it's not. It's very relevant. And I have American friends as well as experience. Not saying you're not credible but it's just not as credible as someone who lives here. Sorry. I'd never try to state any dogmas about your country.

If you feel it is getting OT ad that is your way of subversively evading the debate then nevermind. But all I can say is, it is a bigger issue and in a democratic country majority rules. It is sickening but that's how it is. No one is vilifying or victimizing anyone. The bigger anything gets more attention because it has more active supporters. There are no active supporters of male abuse and that is the individual's fault not the country mentality or the government. The government here is secondary to the people; if the people don't mention it the government takes no issue. If the people riot and fight for it, the gov concedes. That's just how it is in a democratic country.

Well if you really want to go into this debate sure lol. It's not that I'm trying to evade I just don't really care about issues that aren't as prevalent in my country. Do you want me to carry on or not? because you're saying "don't run away." But you're also saying "Sorry. I'd never try to state any dogmas about your country." I am going to sleep soon though.

But ye there are supporters for male issues but the feminist movement has been around for a long time now and they're in direct competition with those supporters. Theres good examples of it on this page https://www.facebook.com/WomenAgainstFeminism?fref=ts . The owner of that facebook group has apparently recieved a lot of death threats from feminists as well as other women on there who have had to take their photos down. (that page is growing very fast btw. It had 2k followers a few days ago)

When someone tries to raise male issues you'l get countless articles written by feminists that ridicule that person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending