The Student Room Group

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by printergirl
That was the biggest amount, and the only time i really got annoyed as i understood my parents needed the money. Usually it's just £10 or so that i get given by grans/aunts etc (who are all very well off) that my parents take off me

I got the student loan now so i finally have some money

Aye I understand, also get student finance now so I can help my mum more often.
Original post by SophieSmall
Aye I understand, also get student finance now so I can help my mum more often.

I've 'lent' two grand of my loan to my parents, but i have no clue on how they're going to pay it back:tongue:
I've 'lent' two grand of my loan to my parents, but i have no clue on how they're going to pay it back:tongue:

Oh I'd never lend that much to my mum on the spot without getting a clear breakdown of where the money is going or how it's going to help long term :lol: or else we'd both end in the ****ter.

Maybe it's not for me to say but this and what you put about your parents taking your money...isn't it kind of douchey to take money off your kids?
Original post by SophieSmall
Oh I'd never lend that much to my mum on the spot without getting a clear breakdown of where the money is going or how it's going to help long term :lol: or else we'd both end in the ****ter.

Lol my parents are probably already ****ed, but its hard to say no

i think my parents are just hoping i graduate and get a job then expect me to pay off their debts

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Maybe it's not for me to say but this and what you put about your parents taking your money...isn't it kind of douchey to take money off your kids?

it is...

it's two grand that i got from my loan which i've not used (loan and uni bursary covered all my costs as i'm not a big spender and had a part time job)
I'm the last alterative they have to be honest
I really do not like lending so much, but, my parents always tried to provide for me they both work 7 days a week and it still isn't great. So id feel incredibly douchey too
(edited 9 years ago)

it is...

it's two grand that i got from my loan which i've not used (loan and uni bursary covered all my costs as i'm not a big spender and had a part time job)
I really do not like lending so much, but, my parents always tried to provide for me they both work 7 days a week and it still isn't great. So id feel incredibly douchey too

Hmm I see your point but it still doesn't seem nice. I always think the parents should look after the kids. But what do I know, I admit my background is probably as far away from financial difficulty as possible so I could just be chatting ****.

i think my parents are just hoping i graduate and get a job then expect me to pay off their debts

it is...

Oh dear :/ well I really hope they manage to sort out their finances soon and you get your money back.
My good deed for the day, after reading this thread made me realise how lucky I am. Me and some buddies went to a resturant earlier and all tipped 40% of the bill. Waitress looked like she was going to pass out...
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Hmm I see your point but it still doesn't seem nice. I always think the parents should look after the kids. But what do I know, I admit my background is probably as far away from financial difficulty as possible so I could just be chatting ****.

it is...

thanks!
reading what others have posted i do feel bad about moaning, i always had heating and enough food
Would definitely say more well off than poor but life wasn't easy. Parents and I worked hard to ensure we kept what we had. I'd say in the time from when I was a young lad we have gone from poor to middle class by today's standards.

Wouldn't go without ever but never asked for much. Would get nice gifts at Christmas time and was really appreciative of that. Went on holidays as a child and as a teen so got to see the world and experience different cultures.

Lived in a rubbish area with a rubbish school - I got average GCSEs but then did good in college - parents worked hard to help me. Just graduated from university.

I set up business after college to make more money but didn't want to do it long term. Some of this went into properties abroad that were cheap and some saved to go towards university.

Now my parents live abroad with no mortgage and we have money to spend. I'm planning on doing a masters level course then PhD later on.

Not rich by any means but not poor either. Thankful for what I do have and have had. Like I said we lived in a horrible area but parents always worked and the house always clean. This was key to me being able to better myself being able to study in a nice environment. Basically without my parents help I'd probably not have gone to uni or had the drive to do so.

Going from poor to better is the best education other than from better to poor. Never forget your roots is all I'll say. Remember who you are and what you come from.
Can you imagine that I don't have bothered as a kid whether I am rich or not? it doesn't matter for me, just because I have lived my life as a kid. This experience is priceless.
(edited 9 years ago)
Your experience often doesn't come down to what your parents earn, but how much their outgoings are in comparison to what they earn and how stable their job is. My dad had a high-earning job (in normal terms... not a banker or anything! But a good managerial job) but the nature of his job was that we lived from contract to contract, never knowing where the next contract would come from or if there would be one. One year the government changed a random tax rule which hit us hard. Suddenly my parents owed thousands of pounds they hadn't budgeted for and had to re-mortgage our house. The pressure of having so many financial commitments and not knowing where the next job would come from got to my dad and he became depressed. It got to all of us really. Luckily we had quite frugal tastes anyway - we enjoyed holidays in England, never really wanted the latest games console etc (I was happier with my head in a book!). But my main childhood memory with regards to money is one of my parents being constantly worried.

My point being that 'high earner' and 'rich' are two different things. I knew that my dad earnt more than a lot of others, but I never felt rich. Rich to me is more along the lines of 'comfortable' - having financial freedom, being safe from worries. The Queen is rich not just because she has a load of money but because that money is safe - she can hardly lose her job. But equally a pensioner who earns £15,000 a year from their company pension and owns their house could equally be considered rich - they have a lot of disposable income (not tied up into paying off mortgages etc) and the source of that money is guaranteed.

If as an adult I could feel comfortable - i.e. have all my basic comforts and still have a bit left over for savings, and feel safe in my job - then I would feel rich no matter what those earnings were.
I'd say my family are fairly well off. Although it wasn't until I moved down to College when I was 18 that I realised. (We stayed at school until 18 in my school.) All of my friends had the same things I did. All the latest gadgets, Cars and House / Flats as birthday presents etc. I am very grateful for everything my parents have done. My mum was the owner of Michael Graham estate agents and built that up from the ground with someone else and worked her a** off. Now she doesn't work anymore as she doesn't have to. My dad still works but is very, very high up in his company. It has taught me that to get all the nice things you have to start from the bottom and work as hard as you can to get where you want to be. Which is exactly what i'm going to do. I have a daughter and she is going to start private school next year. I'm lucky and I don't take that for granted. But I know my family worked very, very hard for their money. That has given me the drive to do the same. :smile:
It's funny, my family is relatively well off (We have a four bedroom house etc), but because of crushing mortgage payments and other debt, there's usually very little surplus or disposable income to speak of. However I'm almost quite glad of this, it means they have no opportunity to lend me money so I have to take responsibility for managing my finances at university much more seriously and as student loans are calculated on parental income instead of parental disposable income I'm left with the absolute minimum. We live in a relatively wealthy area as well and when observing many of the others who live around here (Many of my friends included), we appear comparatively poorer, but I wouldn't change any of it. My biggest annoyance is my housemate at uni, who has money poured into his account by his parents and he just wastes it away on clothes, gadgets and the like and gets stroppy when he runs out.
i realized i was well off after my parents told me how much they pay for my school haha
Reply 475
I guess today would be a good example

Eid is meant to be like Christmas and all the other families and friends I know get a **** ton of money and clothes. My mum can hardly afford to buy me a new shirt.

I don't blame my parents though, they just can't work anymore because of their health. I'm grateful for what I have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snowyowl
Stantonbury Campus?

Nope - Ashfield Comprehensive, in Kirkby in Ashfield.
I could tell some tales of poverty but i would rather be anonymous..
[video="youtube;uWSxzjyMNpU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWSxzjyMNpU[/video]

This is what you never knew, and not many people do.
Would you even consider yourself rich if you have 2millions?
Because i wouldn't.
Mind blowing xD.
I kind of always knew we didn't have much money, mum chose to home educate me instead of sending me to school, so she gave up her chance of getting a decent job and was unemployed until I was 13 when she set up her own business... I never went cold or hungry, but I never had electronic games or new toys, didn't really have friends round because their houses were nicer, we never had a car etc...

Quick Reply

Latest