The Student Room Group

Big Problem here : Any advice is appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flygirl64
BBD is not a failure. I have 3 Alevels. The actual thing is we did not have a biology teacher for the majority of yr 13 between sept- february. It was fun then as we had ridiculous free time but now i look back at it our school failed us.

Anyways BBD is not a failure. D does count for some points on the Ucas table you know.

But yeah the general consensus is not to do a re-sit. Im leaning more towards a masters

What ever the story with your school
a D is not considered a pass
BBD is not a failure. I have 3 Alevels. The actual thing is we did not have a biology teacher for the majority of yr 13 between sept- february. It was fun then as we had ridiculous free time but now i look back at it our school failed us.

Anyways BBD is not a failure. D does count for some points on the Ucas table you know.

But yeah the general consensus is not to do a re-sit. Im leaning more towards a masters

In the eyes of investment banks AAB is a failure.

However if you get onto a decent masters and do well it will go some way to counteracting your a levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by James222
What ever the story with your school
a D is not considered a pass

Come off your high horse, a D is a pass. You are not a certification board, if the certification board says a D is a pass then a D is a pass.

What you're stating is your opinion, a very flawed opinion at that but the general fact according to the board of examination and ass printed on certificates is that a D is a pass.
Reply 23
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
In the eyes of investment banks AAB is a failure.

However if you get onto a decent masters and do well it will go some way to counteracting your a levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, they can be a bit strict with the A levels but once the experience starts building up, the importance of Alevels fades away..

I'm trying to apply to LSE to study Msc in finance and it costs 23K bloody hell; i dont know how i'll fund that one lol
Perhaps consider spending a couple of months re-taking your a levels. You can omit whatever you like on your CV, including dates. Of course, if asked specifically you can't lie, but it could be your saving grace in a bad situation.
I know, they can be a bit strict with the A levels but once the experience starts building up, the importance of Alevels fades away..

I'm trying to apply to LSE to study Msc in finance and it costs 23K bloody hell; i dont know how i'll fund that one lol

How are you going to get into LSE?

And the issue for you will be getting any relevant experience in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
How are you going to get into LSE?

And the issue for you will be getting any relevant experience in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't understand your question, what do you mean by how am i going to get into lse?

I'll simply apply - their entry requirements calls for a 2:1 in a finance related course.

And they didn't specify that work experience was relevant.. Im also looking at imperial (29k)
Reply 27
Hey,

I don't think you have any chance to be honest. You don't seem like you would be a good fit for a bank.

Have you thought about why you want to do Investment Banking?

I echo what the other posters have said regarding your A-Levels. They may not be a fail, but it's not good enough for a bank.

No one will care about your first from Coventry. Few people have heard of Coventry university, so it doesn't matter if you got a first from there. You should be proud of achieving that, but don't think for one minute that it gives you the right to have a place in an Investment Bank, there are students who have worked much much harder than you to achieve that. There are students who did manage to get internships and good grades at university, so why didn't you do both?

If you couldn't do that, how will you handle the intensity of working in a bank? You would be out within 2 years and all the effort just wouldn't be worth it.

I work in a BB bank, so I guess that adds some validation to these opinions.

Best of luck.
Reply 28
Original post by Crazy92
Hey,

I don't think you have any chance to be honest. You don't seem like you would be a good fit for a bank.

Have you thought about why you want to do Investment Banking?

I echo what the other posters have said regarding your A-Levels. They may not be a fail, but it's not good enough for a bank.

No one will care about your first from Coventry. Few people have heard of Coventry university, so it doesn't matter if you got a first from there. You should be proud of achieving that, but don't think for one minute that it gives you the right to have a place in an Investment Bank, there are students who have worked much much harder than you to achieve that. There are students who did manage to get internships and good grades at university, so why didn't you do both?

If you couldn't do that, how will you handle the intensity of working in a bank? You would be out within 2 years and all the effort just wouldn't be worth it.

I work in a BB bank, so I guess that adds some validation to these opinions.

Best of luck.

I understand that my Alevels aren't good enough for Investment banking, i know that what im looking for is a way forward, won't a masters from a target solve that *******? However, weirdly enough, I already have someone from a boutique bank saying that they will be calling me next week to see if i can do a short internship with them. They never asked about my Alevels and all they asked about was for my degree.

As for my reason for not doing an internship whilst studying at uni, it was because i didn't know what i wanted at the time.. i really didn't do my homework and i assumed that i would graduate and waltz into an investment bank. Thats why, not because i couldn't handle working and studying.

But yeah like i said, wouldn't a masters help in this scenario?
Reply 29
I understand that my Alevels aren't good enough for Investment banking, i know that what im looking for is a way forward, won't a masters from a target solve that *******? However, weirdly enough, I already have someone from a boutique bank saying that they will be calling me next week to see if i can do a short internship with them. They never asked about my Alevels and all they asked about was for my degree.

As for my reason for not doing an internship whilst studying at uni, it was because i didn't know what i wanted at the time.. i really didn't do my homework and i assumed that i would graduate and waltz into an investment bank. Thats why, not because i couldn't handle working and studying.

If I were you I'd completely hold off on thinking about a masters until you get an internship, see if you like the job and also find how how much more likely they are to give you a job if you had a masters from a top university. I wouldn't be surprised if even with a masters from Oxbridge/LSE you find it difficult getting a job in investment banking.
Reply 30

Of course a masters might help a bit - If you can go to somewhere like Warwick or UCL and get a decent masters, then BBD and Coventry won't look as bad (although I'd recommend re-taking some of those as well just because BBD looks bad), and doing a masters at targets like those will give you the opportunity to network at on campus events, which might make a difference.

I'd be interested to know why Investment banking? Most people I know who have gotten FT jobs or FO internships don't know for sure it's what they want to do, and that's even after attending events and doing internships, so I'd genuinely be interested to know why you're so certain it's what you want?

You thought you would easily get a job in one of the most competitive industries when there are candidates at Oxbridge who can't even land interviews? I admire your ambition, but you need to be realistic as well, and probably stop shrugging off advice from people who are trying to help you and know better - resitting some of those A-levels for example is a must IMO.
(edited 9 years ago)
Come off your high horse, a D is a pass. You are not a certification board, if the certification board says a D is a pass then a D is a pass.

What you're stating is your opinion, a very flawed opinion at that but the general fact according to the board of examination and ass printed on certificates is that a D is a pass.

You asked for the opinion of people on TSR and I am giving you my opinion. I am no A* student but anyone can tell you a D is a fail which is why with a D it becomes difficult to get 320 UCAS points.

A-C is a pass any employer will tell you. You have very little chance of getting into IB, not only have you missed the recruitment deadline for grad schemes are more or less for masters , you will have a gap of 1 year on your CV and not be fresh graduate come August 2015 which will work against you

A masters is only worth it if you have at least 4 years of experience
Reply 32
Original post by FDR
Of course a masters might help a bit - If you can go to somewhere like Warwick or UCL and get a decent masters, then BBD and Coventry won't look as bad (although I'd recommend re-taking some of those as well just because BBD looks bad), and doing a masters at targets like those will give you the opportunity to network at on campus events, which might make a difference.

I'd be interested to know why Investment banking? Most people I know who have gotten FT jobs or FO internships don't know for sure it's what they want to do, and that's even after attending events and doing internships, so I'd genuinely be interested to know why you're so certain it's what you want?

You thought you would easily get a job in one of the most competitive industries when there are candidates at Oxbridge who can't even land interviews? I admire you're ambition, but you need to be realistic as well, and probably stop shrugging off advice from people who are trying to help you and know better - resitting some of those A-levels for example is a must IMO.

Its just something i have always wanted to do, investment banking and trading. I actually traded bitcoins during the cryptocurrency bubble, coupled with reading liars poker; i guess i just fell in love with the lifestyle and industry really.

No i am not shrugging off any advice, prior to making this thread i wasn't even thinking of a masters but someone suggested it and now i've been looking at masters. But retaking Alevels are pointless because i've already inquired down that route. Sometime in june when i just received my results, i did my research and i met people who got BCC at Alevels and are in investment banking today. Banks ask for your Alevels at First sitting. So retaking Alevels are just a huge waste of time
Reply 33

It will help marginally, but probably won't make a huge difference.

Being honest, from your attitude displayed in this thread I wouldn't hire you even if you had a first from Oxbridge.

I think you need to be realistic, accept feedback, and be a bit more mature.

Wrt to the boutique bank, get back to me once they offer you the internship. Phonecalls aren't worth sh*t.

I know you are keen on IB, but unfortunately you have missed the boat! That's the downside of not thinking about what you want to do at uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by James222
You asked for the opinion of people on TSR and I am giving you my opinion. I am no A* student but anyone can tell you a D is a fail which is why with a D it becomes difficult to get 320 UCAS points.

A-C is a pass any employer will tell you. You have very little chance of getting into IB, not only have you missed the recruitment deadline for grad schemes are more or less for masters , you will have a gap of 1 year on your CV and not be fresh graduate come August 2015 which will work against you

A masters is only worth it if you have at least 4 years of experience

You mean to say some employers view a D as a fail. Because like i said according to certifications a "D" is seen as a pass. But i see what you mean.

Okay although i officially graduate in november i understand what you mean. As for your opinion on the masters, that hugely contrasts with what people have said so far. Im confused, so okay what do you recommend then???
Reply 35
Original post by Crazy92
It will help marginally, but probably won't make a huge difference.

Being honest, from your attitude displayed in this thread I wouldn't hire you even if you had a first from Oxbridge.

I think you need to be realistic, accept feedback, and be a bit more mature.

Wrt to the boutique bank, get back to me once they offer you the internship. Phonecalls aren't worth sh*t.

I know you are keen on IB, but unfortunately you have missed the boat! That's the downside of not thinking about what you want to do at uni.

What attitude? Because i refused to retake A levels? An act that is viewed as totally pointless by most investment banks?

I'll take a note of your username, i'll email the bank again tonight and i'll let you know how it goes.

Yeah i may have missed the boat now, but what about in the future? I have read about guys jumping into IB from other sectors. Is that a route i can take?
Reply 36
What attitude? Because i refused to retake A levels? An act that is viewed as totally pointless by most investment banks?

I'll take a note of your username, i'll email the bank again tonight and i'll let you know how it goes.

Yeah i may have missed the boat now, but what about in the future? I have read about guys jumping into IB from other sectors. Is that a route i can take?

No, not that specifically. You just don't come across as a safe pair of hands, as in, I wouldn't trust you to talk with clients or deal with money. It's nothing personal by the way, you just don't come across as being professional. Plus, you use of i and I is quite infuriating...

Also, trading is nothing like liars poker and the industry has massively changed since 2007. Do you enjoy mathematics?
Reply 37

P.s I do hope you get in touch and tell me you got the internship!

Is it trading you are interested in? If so, why are you applying to boutique banks?

There is a world of difference between trading and investment banking. They are two totally separate jobs, I assume you know that?
You mean to say some employers view a D as a fail. Because like i said according to certifications a "D" is seen as a pass. But i see what you mean.

Okay although i officially graduate in november i understand what you mean. As for your opinion on the masters, that hugely contrasts with what people have said so far. Im confused, so okay what do you recommend then???

According to certification anything other than a U is a pass

I would say Bulge Bracket is out of the question as you wont get past the automatic filters. You should continue to boutiques as you have been and apply to general grad jobs as a backup to avoid a gap on your CV

Sorry I meant a MBA is not worth it with out 4 years work experience. A masters is a great asset, use your time at university to network and try and get a leadership position at a Society so you have stuff to talk about at interview.
Reply 39
Original post by Crazy92
No, not that specifically. You just don't come across as a safe pair of hands, as in, I wouldn't trust you to talk with clients or deal with money. It's nothing personal by the way, you just don't come across as being professional. Plus, you use of i and I is quite infuriating...

Also, trading is nothing like liars poker and the industry has massively changed since 2007. Do you enjoy mathematics?

Lol my bad, I'm just really frustrated. Not really paying attention to grammar just trying to get my message across haha.

Do i enjoy mathematics? Not really but i can handle it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending