The Student Room Group

Did anyone do Edexcel Geography AS?

So I've started an intensive AS/A2 in one year, and over the summer I've decided to start doing my AS. For Unit 2 you have to choose between extreme weather and crowded coasts, and between unequal spaces and rebranding places. Can you help me decide which ones to choose? I'm most likely doing extreme weather, but I can't decide from the other two.
Does anyone have any experience and can you please share which one you think would require less work and opinions on which one you think is more interesting. Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oiseaux
So I've started an intensive AS/A2 in one year, and over the summer I've decided to start doing my AS. For Unit 2 you have to choose between extreme weather and crowded coasts, and between unequal spaces and rebranding places. Can you help me decide which ones to choose? I'm most likely doing extreme weather, but I can't decide from the other two.
Does anyone have any experience and can you please share which one you think would require less work and opinions on which one you think is more interesting. Thank you!

Hello,

I did Edexcel Geography at AS. I didn't get a choice over what to choose, but the topics I studied were extreme weather and rebranding. I can't really advise which topics are more interesting as I haven't really looked at them. Rebranding was ok though, especially as there are quite a lot of relevant case studies you can link it too. Extreme weather is very topical and field work can be quite useful when answering the questions in the exam, so it may be easier if you did crowded coasts as the field work aspect may be slightly easier, but have a look at the spec and see what you think. If you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them :smile:
Also, if you have any questions on unit 3/unit 4 when you start them I'd be willing to answer them too :smile:
Original post by Oiseaux

I did Crowded Coasts and Rebranding Places, crowded coasts is quite an easy topic and the fieldwork i found was very useful, it also picks up quite a lot of stuff covered at GCSE (we studied rivers, coasts etc). Personally, i did not like rebranding but i thought it was quite an easy topic as it was mostly common sense. I think its personal pefrence really. Let me know if you need any help:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by girlygiggle
Hello,

I did Edexcel Geography at AS. I didn't get a choice over what to choose, but the topics I studied were extreme weather and rebranding. I can't really advise which topics are more interesting as I haven't really looked at them. Rebranding was ok though, especially as there are quite a lot of relevant case studies you can link it too. Extreme weather is very topical and field work can be quite useful when answering the questions in the exam, so it may be easier if you did crowded coasts as the field work aspect may be slightly easier, but have a look at the spec and see what you think. If you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Original post by bethfiona99
I did Crowded Coasts and Rebranding Places, crowded coasts is quite an easy topic and the fieldwork i found was very useful, it also picks up quite a lot of stuff covered at GCSE (we studied rivers, coasts etc). Personally, i did not like rebranding but i thought it was quite an easy topic as it was mostly common sense. I think its personal pefrence really. Let me know if you need any help:smile:

Thanks guys. Extreme weather looks more interesting but I've asked and my school is taking us on a field trip for Crowded Coasts, so Crowded Coasts probably the better option. I haven't thought as much about the other options but I'm leaning towards rebranding. Thanks again :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I studied crowded coasts and rebranding. I think that they're the easiest to do field work for and personally i felt like they were the easier of the two. Although i didn't study coasts at GCSE geography (I studied Rivers *Yawn*)
I found going over the GCSE coasts stuff really helped with the A level stuff!
If you have any more questions i'd be happy to answer them for you! :smile:
You guys looking forward to result day? :eek3:
Defiantly not! You?
Original post by Kash24411
You guys looking forward to result day? :eek3:

HAHAHA! I could not be more terrified if i tried! I really don't know how unit 1 went - i wasn't expecting trade blocs! How about you?
Original post by _annienicholls
HAHAHA! I could not be more terrified if i tried! I really don't know how unit 1 went - i wasn't expecting trade blocs! How about you?

Im starting to feel the nerves as the 14th creeps closer... I personally think unit 1 went quite well but unit 2 was a hard exam :cry2:
Im starting to feel the nerves as the 14th creeps closer... I personally think unit 1 went quite well but unit 2 was a hard exam :cry2:

Funnily enough i felt unit 2 went quite well - apart from the one which asked about presenting and analysing data! I'd been so use to doing the research ones and methods. Ah well! Good luck for the 14th! I'm sure you will have smashed it! :biggrin:
Funnily enough i felt unit 2 went quite well - apart from the one which asked about presenting and analysing data! I'd been so use to doing the research ones and methods. Ah well! Good luck for the 14th! I'm sure you will have smashed it! :biggrin:

Yh i just hated the 15mark questions :frown: and good luck to you as well hopefully we both get our aspired grade! Guess best thing to do now is think positive forthcoming next week :smile:
Yh i just hated the 15mark questions :frown: and good luck to you as well hopefully we both get our aspired grade! Guess best thing to do now is think positive forthcoming next week :smile:

Yeah... The 15 Mark ones weren't as good as previous years! Positive thinking - something i haven't managed to achieve yet! Im too busy planning my escape to some third world country!
Yeah... The 15 Mark ones weren't as good as previous years! Positive thinking - something i haven't managed to achieve yet! Im too busy planning my escape to some third world country!

hahaha im sure you will have done just fine! I just wish results day would hurry the hell up and get done over with :mad:
I would have a look at the specifications and then choose.
These were my notes for AS, I did rebranding and extreme weather:
http://nickmynotes.wordpress.com/as-geography/
good luck :smile:
anyone have any idea what

edexcel geography
unit 1 - 66
unit 2 - 50

will equate to in UMS and grade wise...
Original post by Spongebob0303
I would have a look at the specifications and then choose.
These were my notes for AS, I did rebranding and extreme weather:
http://nickmynotes.wordpress.com/as-geography/
good luck :smile:

same with me! what do you think the grade boundaries will be roughly for both units...

edexcel geography
unit 1 - 66
unit 2 - 50

what you predicting the grade boundaries to be around for both units...
(edited 9 years ago)
hahaha im sure you will have done just fine! I just wish results day would hurry the hell up and get done over with :mad:

edexcel geography
unit 1 - 66
unit 2 - 50
what you expecting the grade boundaries to be around for both units...
Im thinking lower grade boundaries! The exams weren't as easy as some of the mock one's we've done in class!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending