The Student Room Group

Remark, help

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could advise me on what I should do.

In psychology, I am 1 mark off an A* (2 UMS). This is because in the PSYA4 exam, I got 100 UMS (full marks), but in the PSYA3 exam I got 79 UMS (43 raw marks, 1 from an A).

I have worked out that if the remark went from 43 marks to 23 marks which is an E, I'd maintain my A (which I need to keep to get into my university!), but if it gets remarked to 22 marks, my overall grade would drop to a B. I'm really worried that it could drop by so many marks, which is 38 UMS. Is it possible for it to decrease that much?

I really don't want to sacrifice my grade as I am so happy with it, but being 1 mark from the next grade is so irritating.

What do you think I should do? And do you think it's possible for a remark to come back much lower? I'd appreciate any help, thanks :smile:
Remark, heard of grades falling but never by that much
Reply 2
Original post by 29Bilal96
Remark, heard of grades falling but never by that much

Do you think it's practically impossible for it to drop from a B to just under an E then despite there only been 38 UMS between them? I'm just so scared I'll lose my place at uni!
Original post by c-anne-

In psychology, I am 1 mark off an A* (2 UMS). This is because in the PSYA4 exam, I got 100 UMS (full marks), but in the PSYA3 exam I got 79 UMS (43 raw marks, 1 from an A).

I have worked out that if the remark went from 43 marks to 23 marks which is an E, I'd maintain my A (which I need to keep to get into my university!), but if it gets remarked to 22 marks, my overall grade would drop to a B. I'm really worried that it could drop by so many marks, which is 38 UMS. Is it possible for it to decrease that much?

I really don't want to sacrifice my grade as I am so happy with it, but being 1 mark from the next grade is so irritating.

What do you think I should do? And do you think it's possible for a remark to come back much lower? I'd appreciate any help, thanks :smile:

It is VERY unlikely for your mark to decrease by that much.

I'd say if you want a remark, go for it as you don't have much to lose (it's unlikely for your grade to drop) :smile:

Edit: Although if you've already secured your place at uni, there isn't much point tbh. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by usycool1
It is VERY unlikely for your mark to decrease by that much.

I'd say if you want a remark, go for it as you don't have much to lose (it's unlikely for your grade to drop) :smile:

Edit: Although if you've already secured your place at uni, there isn't much point tbh. :tongue:

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in the marks awarded between the original to the remark, which is the thing that worries me because it's an essay-based exam! :frown:

Is there anything to do if it does go down a ridiculous amount? I'm considering ordering a photocopy first, to check with my teacher before sending off for a remark, though I'm not sure how useful a photocopy will be...

Thanks for you help btw!:smile:
If you've met your uni offer, why do you want to increase your grade? Just for the satisfaction of having an A*? I very much doubt a mark could drop from 43 to 22 in a remark, but then I don't have very much experience with essay subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by c-anne-

Hi I'd recommend getting a photocopy of your paper, then getting your teacher to look at it then getting a remark if they think it's worth it :smile: - basically takes the risk away
Reply 7
Original post by benplumley
If you've met your uni offer, why do you want to increase your grade? Just for the satisfaction of having an A*? I very much doubt a mark could drop from 43 to 22 in a remark, but then I don't have very much experience with essay subjects.

I'm so happy with the A, but being one mark away just makes me think that I might as well try for the next grade, so that I won't ever have to wonder if I could have got that one extra mark. I just hate taking such big risks. :confused:
Reply 8
Original post by smile:D
Hi I'd recommend getting a photocopy of your paper, then getting your teacher to look at it then getting a remark if they think it's worth it :smile: - basically takes the risk away

Okay, thanks for the advice! I hope it won't be difficult to judge the quality of my exam when I get the photocopy. Essays are so subjective! But you're right, it would definitely take a lot of the risk away. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by c-anne-
Okay, thanks for the advice! I hope it won't be difficult to judge the quality of my exam when I get the photocopy. Essays are so subjective! But you're right, it would definitely take a lot of the risk away. :smile:

Yep, I did that at AS and it really helped me. The deadline for photocopies is the 22nd of August so as long as you get it in by then :smile:. Also make it clear that you want a photocopy not your original script- as if you have your original script you can't have a remark.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by smile:D
Yep, I did that at AS and it really helped me. The deadline for photocopies is the 22nd of August so as long as you get it in by then :smile:. Also make it clear that you want a photocopy not your original script- as if you have your original script you can't have a remark.

Best of luck :smile:

Ah okay, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest